2020 Toyota Corolla to be unveiled 11/15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Civic has the worst and ugly DRL out there.
Sponsored

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Is it just me or that nobody in this thread has mentioned the 2020 Corolla will be fitted with a rear multi-link suspension?
There is no question that the new Corolla is new and improved.
- It has better suspension and I bet that it will have better brakes.
- It has a new and improved suite of electronic safety features.
- It sits lower and has a wider track so it should handle better.
- It has better connectivity (Apple Carplay and Alexa).

The problem is that there are two separate drive trains.
- The old 1.8 liter "eco" engine with the old rubber-bandy CVT (L, LE, LXE).
- The new 2.0 liter with 40 more horsepower and a new CVT with a fixed first gear and simulated gears with a paddle shifter (SE, XSE).

The XSE is a nice car that competes well with the Civic Touring and the Corolla Hatch XSE competes well with the Civic Sport Touring. But because of the lame drive-train in the base Corolla models it will not compete well with the Civic base models and there is nothing like the SI or Type R for the enthusiast or a coupe for the single guys.

Of course, we can expect the new Corolla to continue it's tradition for reliability and durability. There will be a market for these. Anybody who wants cheap and reliable transportation will be well served in the Corolla and there is a better style, drive train and handling on the upper trim levels.

Last edited:

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
There is no question that the new Corolla is new and improved.
- It has better suspension and I bet that it will have better brakes.
- It has a new and improved suite of electronic safety features.
- It sits lower and has a wider track so it should handle better.
- It has better connectivity (Apple Carplay and Alexa).

The problem is that there are two separate drive trains.
- The old 1.8 liter "eco" engine with the old rubber-bandy CVT (L, LE, LXE).
- The new 2.0 liter with 40 more horsepower and a new CVT with a fixed first gear and simulated gears with a paddle shifter (SE, XSE).

The XSE is a nice car that competes well with the Civic Touring and the Corolla Hatch XSE competes well with the Civic Sport Touring. But because of the lame drive-train in the base Corolla models it will not compete well with the Civic base models and there is nothing like the SI or Type R for the enthusiast or a coupe for the single guys.

Of course, we can expect the new Corolla to continue it's tradition for reliability and durability. There will be a market for these. Anybody who wants cheap and reliable transportation will be well served in the Corolla and there is a better style, drive train and handling on the upper trim levels.
The iM Hatch XSE has a $23K msrp and the Civic Hatch sport touring has a $29K msrp, XSE is aimed at the basic HB sport.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
The iM Hatch XSE has a $23K msrp and the Civic Hatch sport touring has a $29K msrp, XSE is aimed at the basic HB sport.
The new Corolla Hatchback isn't the "iM". That was last years model (2018).

Although they are cheaper than the Civic Sport Touring, the Corolla Hatch XSE is almost as well equipped.

There is no way that the Civic Sport Hatch compares to the Corolla Hatch XSE. In the US the Sport Hatch has cloth seats and a simplistic dash display and no Infotainment screen or Apple Carplay. The Corolla Hatch XSE also has a second generation Safety Suite and LED headlights. The Civic's Safety Suite are a clunky first generation. The Civic Sport Hatch maybe slightly sportier, but it is distinctly less luxurious than The Corolla Hatch XSE.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
The new Corolla Hatchback isn't the "iM". That was last years model (2018).

Although they are cheaper than the Civic Sport Touring, the Corolla Hatch XSE is almost as well equipped.

There is no way that the Civic Sport Hatch compares to the Corolla Hatch XSE. In the US the Sport Hatch has cloth seats and a simplistic dash display and no Infotainment screen or Apple Carplay. The Corolla Hatch XSE also has a second generation Safety Suite and LED headlights. The Civic's Safety Suite are a clunky first generation. The Civic Sport Hatch maybe slightly sportier, but it is distinctly less luxurious than The Corolla Hatch XSE.
Thats my point, same price range and more features. I dont have the exact detail, my guess is that the touring is for late 20 and early 30 and the sport/xse is for young to mid 20. The touring has power adjusted seat and leather interior. I wouldnt called it is almost as well equipped. The touring and XSE are aimed at 2 different group of people

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m stuck driving a Corolla LE 2018 as a rental for a week, and yeah, it’s got some nice base features but wow the fun to drive factor is NON EXISTENT. It’s good for uh just driving places but wow this thing is pretty dull.

It’s also fairly unrefined. The CVT is LOUD when you accelerate and I’m not even sure I can feel the wheels when I turn the steering wheel. All of these things Honda has an edge up on with the Civic. So for me the winner is very easily the Civic. The new Corolla has to bring more to the table if it wants to compete with Honda.

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
https://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/all+new+2020+toyota+corolla+ready+rock+sedan+world.htm

Nothing impressive. Toyota's design language is too complicated in recent years. Too many unnecessary sharp angles and grills.
The powertrain in the SE and XSE is the same as the hatchback, an improvement over the current snoozefest but not the best.
Interior also shares a lot with the hatchback, still no Android Auto onboard.

Some notable changes -
- For the first time, 18-inch wheels are on the menu, standard on the SE and XSE grades.
- Standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0
- The 2020 Corolla sedan L, LE, and XLE grades will use the 1.8-liter engine (2ZR-FAE) found in the previous generation, yet with more horsepower and better fuel efficiency. The XSE and SE grades are powered by a completely-new 2.0-liter Dynamic-Force direct-injection inline four-cylinder engine (M20A-FKS).
- 2020 Corolla sedan offers an intriguing choice with the all-new 6-speed iMT (intelligent manual transmission). Like some premium sports cars, it features downshift rev-matching control
2020_Toyota_Corolla_Track_01_6470A7A9C0FE4FC4298EEF013A34A0B8BB4EB5F1.jpg

2020_Toyota_Corolla_Track_03_E67770721C899AEB904DB05C8418F0579BB075FC.jpg

Corolla_Interior_01_33673C2C5EA55AF866F8AF32DBC1E862550B6651.jpg
Typical ugly Toyota/Lexus front end and WTF is with that cheap looking interior for a new generation.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Typical ugly Toyota/Lexus front end and WTF is with that cheap looking interior for a new generation.
They're definitely not vying for class-leading unlike Mazda and Honda...but they'll still sell 300k on the name alone. Ugh

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
They're definitely not vying for class-leading unlike Mazda and Honda...but they'll still sell 300k on the name alone. Ugh
Put 4 wheels and a Toyota badge on a refrigerator and it will sell.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's looks like a Kia forte and the last scion tc, the hatchback looks like a scion tc hatch..atleast the civic 2.0 is a k20 and tunable...toyotas will never have the aftermarket honda has

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see a lot of Corolla hate it's not surprising because this is a civic forum. Anyway I had a 2016 s plus and it had every feature my si has except for the lane change camera. The s plus had super bright led headlights and the headunit would show all of my songs when I connected via Bluetooth. I miss both of those features a lot.

Hell yeah my si coupe is a better car more fun to drive faster handles better etc. But if you compare that s plus Corolla to a non si Civic I doubt there is any difference in driving feel tbh. I never drove a regular civic but my Corolla handled better than the 2.0t Accord in sport mode.

My Corolla had the 6mt.
What are they charging for the s plus though? Around 22kmsrp:drool: mmm nah same as ext manual or hatchback manual...actually the focus st base model is cheaper rather get that than a corolla s :drive:

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eww, that interior...especially the shifter area. Who thought that was a good move? They're trying to make it seem sporty, but one look inside and it's like blergh
Reminds me of the new jettas interior oh no jettas still betta lol

hondatom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX 6sp, 2010 Mazda5, 2008 Sentra
Country flag
If it drives like the Corolla hatch, which is supposed to be reasonably 'fun' and the stick is nice in the 2.0l SE model I will certainly consider it instead of a Civic Hatch. Though it is not as powerful as the 1.5T, and the peak torque occurs at much higher RPM's it should be still plenty powerful enough. I prefer the fact it is not turbo charged. MORE IMPORTANTLY, I like the fact that it has combo port and direct injection. That should eliminate the risk of any carbon build up that may or may not present itself in the 1.5T (remains to be seen, but turbo DI engines in general are more susceptible from my understandings) and I would imagine they could better control oil dilution. Also, turbo's do add more complexity...

If it is boring to drive then that is another thing!

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
What are they charging for the s plus though? Around 22kmsrp:drool: mmm nah same as ext manual or hatchback manual...actually the focus st base model is cheaper rather get that than a corolla s :drive:
I leased it 200 a month traded in my broken Jeep. It came with Toyota care. All maintenance was free for two years. I paid out of pocket for 2 oil changes. 3yrs/36k. When I turned it in the dealer kept it and sold it the next week.
My MSRP was 21.5k

You can't beat that shit. :dunno:

I would rather have a fully loaded car over a base model anyday. Push to start? Smart key? Led headlights? Headunit that shows album artwork and my entire music library via Bluetooth? 200 dollars a month? shittt.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.