Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled!

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I'm really digging the updated photos! This could possibly be very close to the Si model.

And to those saying the rear is too busy. I agree, but they could possibly be functional. Everyone knows that the rear bumper is a huge aero trap and it's possible that the honeycomb is vented.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
Looks great... but reserving my final judgement for the production version release.

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
Some interesting details in the following links. It looks like the Hatchback is coming this fall to the US and Honda will position it as a more sportier option.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ned-about-the-2017-honda-civic-hatchback.html

"While Honda currently offers both a 158-hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder and a 174 hp turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder in the coupe and sedan, the Civic Hatchback will be available only with the turbo motor. For now. Look for Si and Type R models to arrive in time.

The 2.0-liter was recently the subject of a recall, but that has no bearing on the decision. Instead, Honda says the turbocharged engine best suits the car’s more performance-focused direction. It’s also an indication that pricing for the hatchback will come at a premium compared to the rest of the lineup."

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ck-built-no-matter-outcome-EU-referendum.html

"According to Honda UK officials, pre-production of the new car has already began for the US market at the Swindon plant, with full production due to kick off in the summer."

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some interesting details in the following links. It looks like the Hatchback is coming this fall to the US and Honda will position it as a more sportier option.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ned-about-the-2017-honda-civic-hatchback.html

"While Honda currently offers both a 158-hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder and a 174 hp turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder in the coupe and sedan, the Civic Hatchback will be available only with the turbo motor. For now. Look for Si and Type R models to arrive in time.

The 2.0-liter was recently the subject of a recall, but that has no bearing on the decision. Instead, Honda says the turbocharged engine best suits the car’s more performance-focused direction. It’s also an indication that pricing for the hatchback will come at a premium compared to the rest of the lineup."

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ck-built-no-matter-outcome-EU-referendum.html

"According to Honda UK officials, pre-production of the new car has already began for the US market at the Swindon plant, with full production due to kick off in the summer."
Oh dang! Deliveries could be as soon as 5 weeks after they ramp up to full production!

jdubau55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T MSM
Country flag
So what is the actual car going to look like? They always "car show" the prototypes up. My wife and I love the utility of the Fit and almost bought it instead of the Civic, but the Civic just brought too much to the table. If we could have the utility of a hatchback and the awesomeness that is the Civic X it would be perfect. Really wished we would have seen the hatch up with the seats laid down to get an idea of the space.

sparks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Would have preferred more of a wagon look/a longer hatchback to even out the length of the back. This is essentially a sedan.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So what is the actual car going to look like? They always "car show" the prototypes up. My wife and I love the utility of the Fit and almost bought it instead of the Civic, but the Civic just brought too much to the table. If we could have the utility of a hatchback and the awesomeness that is the Civic X it would be perfect. Really wished we would have seen the hatch up with the seats laid down to get an idea of the space.
It's just a concept/prototype so I doubt anyone was even able to open the hatch or see the interior. Once the production model debuts at an auto show I'm sure we'll see photos of that.

andi_sf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP
The front lip and side skirt of the hatch would probably look quite nice & sporty on the sedan as well...

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
Now this could be interesting if true.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...rototype-unveiled-and-it-looks-damn-good.html

"We have learned that when the car debuts in production form, it will only be available with the upgraded 1.5-liter turbo four-cylinder with 174 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed manual or CVT will be available, and the hatch will also get an Si version and be the basis for the future Type R."

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still gonna wait on the type R hatch. I mean, it looks aggressive, but, I'm not totally sold on the looks
Agreed.

The R isn't going AWD. What will see AWD is likely the CRZ, which only seemed to gain attention from the greenies.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1100699_hondas-electric-four-motor-cr-z-prototype-we-drive-it

Honda just said they want new innovation, not produced by the beancounters. Electric motors will be Hondas new vtec.
Now if this is true I might just have to see if I can shoe-horn a Type-R under the hood. I'm a huge fan of AWD, it may not povide the fastest 1/4 mile but I'll take fast off the line every time & more traction.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed.

Now if this is true I might just have to see if I can shoe-horn a Type-R under the hood. I'm a huge fan of AWD, it may not povide the fastest 1/4 mile but I'll take fast off the line every time & more traction.
Shouldn't be a need to shoehorn. According to What Honda has hinted the new CRZ will actually come with the same 2.0T from the type R (as well as another hybrid variant). So getting similar performance numbers for the CRZ should be easy. I believe they've said there will be a gas only 2.0T (possibly with AWD) and a 1.5T hybrid which is easily possible with the new platform it'll share with the civic/accord and CRV.

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...da-civic-hatchback-prototype-promises-hondas/

This article says: "The inevitable Si and Type-R (which will reach the U.S.) will only be offered in the hatchback body style. Clearly, Honda wants a younger, more enthusiastic audience."

I'm hoping they mean just the type r will only be offered in the hatch?
If the Type-R is a 4 door I may skip it. Nothing sporty about that, I'd call that a near-miss. It better look better than the current hatch concept. Otherwise I'll stick with my 8th Gen supercharged Civic SI and just SMH at the new Type-R.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the Type-R is a 4 door I may skip it. Nothing sporty about that, I'd call that a near-miss. It better look better than the current hatch concept. Otherwise I'll stick with my 8th Gen supercharged Civic SI and just SMH at the new Type-R.
Word - for me if it isn't 4dr, I will definitely skip it. I don't think wifey will go for a two door until the kids are quite competent at doing their seat belts and possibly even out of boosters, and at that point the back seat of a coupe would pretty much be too small anyway. I considered FI in my sedan but since learning the TypeR 'might' be coming, I'm just waiting it out. I believe the potential of the TypeR will far exceed that of my 09 Si, especially if you consider more than just HP.
Sponsored