Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled!

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shouldn't be a need to shoehorn. According to What Honda has hinted the new CRZ will actually come with the same 2.0T from the type R (as well as another hybrid variant). So getting similar performance numbers for the CRZ should be easy. I believe they've said there will be a gas only 2.0T (possibly with AWD) and a 1.5T hybrid which is easily possible with the new platform it'll share with the civic/accord and CRV.
Man.. I hope you're right that would be badass. Would even be lighter than the Type-R right?

Word - for me if it isn't 4dr, I will definitely skip it. I don't think wifey will go for a two door until the kids are quite competent at doing their seat belts and possibly even out of boosters, and at that point the back seat of a coupe would pretty much be too small anyway. I considered FI in my sedan but since learning the TypeR 'might' be coming, I'm just waiting it out. I believe the potential of the TypeR will far exceed that of my 09 Si, especially if you consider more than just HP.
LOL, the Type-R definitely shouldn't be a "family" car. It should be 3-Door. :)
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man.. I hope you're right that would be badass. Would even be lighter than the Type-R right?

LOL, the Type-R definitely shouldn't be a "family" car. It should be 3-Door. :)

Yea, the CRZ should be lighter than the type R. And as for everyone wondering if the type R will be a 4 door, it will be the 5 door hatch. There is no 3 door civic hatch anymore. The 5 door will be the new type R. Sorry to burst your bubbles. BUT. The new CRZ will be (most definitely) a 3 door hatch like the current one is. And hopefully sharing many similar parts with the new type R will mean the new CRZ will be as close as you'll get to a coupe/3 door hatch type R.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Now this could be interesting if true.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...rototype-unveiled-and-it-looks-damn-good.html

"We have learned that when the car debuts in production form, it will only be available with the upgraded 1.5-liter turbo four-cylinder with 174 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed manual or CVT will be available, and the hatch will also get an Si version and be the basis for the future Type R."
I think the authors are confusing their conversation streams. A version of the CTR's motor? Yes. But AMHC has dropped hints both online and at various auto shows that the US Si would based off the Sedan and Coupe. That said, I wouldn't rule out an Si hatch; but Honda knows they would risk some cannibalization if they go that route.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
I think the authors are confusing their conversation streams. A version of the CTR's motor? Yes. But AMHC has dropped hints both online and at various auto shows that the US Si would based off the Sedan and Coupe. That said, I wouldn't rule out an Si hatch; but Honda knows they would risk some cannibalization if they go that route.
Sadly I agree, I really wish Honda would release a Si hatch; but given the time lines that have been put out the Si is most likely going to be a coupe and sedan. Maybe in the future a hatchback Si will be released but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. :(

I'm thinking that since the hatch and the sedan are very similar in appearance, Honda will probably use the uprated euro 1.5L turbo motor with 201hp for the USDM hatch to set itself apart from the sedan...maybe name it Civic Sport or something.

That'll also make sense from a production standpoint if the hatch is going to be made in the UK, engines+chassis can be made in the UK and shipped to the US.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Shouldn't be a need to shoehorn. According to What Honda has hinted the new CRZ will actually come with the same 2.0T from the type R (as well as another hybrid variant). So getting similar performance numbers for the CRZ should be easy. I believe they've said there will be a gas only 2.0T (possibly with AWD) and a 1.5T hybrid which is easily possible with the new platform it'll share with the civic/accord and CRV.
Having a hard time believing that same 2.0t will be in the CRZ, where'd ya read that?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having a hard time believing that same 2.0t will be in the CRZ, where'd ya read that?
Various places the past year. Basically honda saying that the new CRZ would be the sports car people originally wanted by using a detuned 2.0T (to around 280) from the type R as well as a 1.5T hybrid setup (at around 200hp). no idea about the AWD as i havent seen it mentioned, but the new platform is capable of being AWD and they did make the AWD pikes peak CRZ already (a possible hint from honda about the future CRZ)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I like the hatchback body style better than the sedan. However, now that I own the sedan I have to admit that the layout is not that bad for my use. Still want the hatchback though!!

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Here are photos from today's North American debut of the 2017 Civic Hatchback Prototype which previews some of the styling bits for the next Civic Type R hatchback. Expect the production hatchback to be available in this Fall.

First post has been updated as well.

Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-30-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-2-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-3-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-4-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-5-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-6-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-7-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-8-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-9-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-10-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-11-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-12-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-13-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-14-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-27-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-28-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled! 2017-civic-hatchback-prototype-new-york-debut-29-

Maxvla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Grand Prix
Here are photos from today's North American debut of the 2017 Civic Hatchback Prototype which previews some of the styling bits for the next Civic Type R hatchback. Expect the production hatchback to be available in this Fall.
Thanks for these pictures of the hatch. The lower rear is a little busy, but that should calm somewhat in non-proto form. I love the wheels, one of few Honda wheels that actually look good. I'm guessing those will not be standard, however. Any ideas on pricing of the hatch?

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still say the Type-R isn't going to be a hatch. No way Honda would commit that level of suicide by making the Type-R a 5 door.

Then again according to HondaPro Jason... at 3:10...

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I still say the Type-R isn't going to be a hatch. No way Honda would commit that level of suicide by making the Type-R a 5 door.

IDK man. The current one is a 5 dr...

Maxvla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Grand Prix

The NYC presenter today said the CTR will be hatch only. It is being built at Swindon, which will make ONLY hatches (normal and CTR).
Sponsored