chase.whittier

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’m looking at buying this 2019 type r. The car is bone stock and in great shape, but the airbags have been deployed from a minor front end collision. Everything was repaired under insurance and I got it checked out by a mechanic. They said everything was done right but the roof seems to have suffered some damage. Has anybody ever seen a roof suffer from ripples like this? Owner said they would take it back to get fixed before I buy, but I’d like to see what you all think. Thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R w/odd roof paint/clear coat 93DF8902-A775-492D-B121-C6F83B1AB8CE

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R w/odd roof paint/clear coat 61ED4312-7871-4618-8BF7-AD1187AAF83D

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R w/odd roof paint/clear coat 0D422C90-E732-4B19-B804-D08479DC07F1

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag
Ripples are from an accident, when you hit hard enough it will cause buckles in the next adjacent body panel which means it was not fixed thoroughly. Walk away from this car. You do not want bondo on your roof from ripples. Keep searching, one without airbag deployment preferred.

OP
OP

chase.whittier

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ripples are from an accident, when you hit hard enough it will cause buckles in the next adjacent body panel which means it was not fixed thoroughly. Walk away from this car. You do not want bondo on your roof from ripples. Keep searching, one without airbag deployment preferred.
Thank you for the reply! I had the car checked out by a reliable mechanic and they said that all the repairs were top notch and that the front end looked beautiful. The exception was for the roof. I also drove the car and it felt amazing. I don’t think the seller even noticed the ripples before I brought it back from the mechanic which is why it wasn’t fixed. Because the repair is still covered under the insurance, they will be able to replace the entire roof under the claim. I was also able to talk them down to $37K for a car that usually books for over 40k these days. You’re saying it’s worth paying the 6-7k over MSRP for one that has no history even if it drives fine? Thanks so much for the advice!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R w/odd roof paint/clear coat 22E11952-1C0D-4743-A892-C8D35D7C15FE

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag
I wouldn’t even consider paying $37K for a car that’s had airbag deployed from a “minor” accident. I always thought airbag deployment instantly totaled a vehicle in the insurance companies eyes. What kind of title does this vehicle have? Rebuilt, Salvaged, etc. I’d like to see the before repairs damage because like others have said those ripples are from the impact of the accident.

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag
I'd pay the few thousand dollars more for one not ever hit, I'd rather deal with mechanical issues over body issues as it is straight forward

GavinOC

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R Boost Blue Pearl
Country flag
Thank you for the reply! I had the car checked out by a reliable mechanic and they said that all the repairs were top notch and that the front end looked beautiful. The exception was for the roof. I also drove the car and it felt amazing. I don’t think the seller even noticed the ripples before I brought it back from the mechanic which is why it wasn’t fixed. Because the repair is still covered under the insurance, they will be able to replace the entire roof under the claim. I was also able to talk them down to $37K for a car that usually books for over 40k these days. You’re saying it’s worth paying the 6-7k over MSRP for one that has no history even if it drives fine? Thanks so much for the advice!

22E11952-1C0D-4743-A892-C8D35D7C15FE.jpeg
Look brother, I’ll put this in simple terms:

It’s like meeting a hot girl who has 3 kids - no matter what way you spin it, there is damage from the previous owner.

Walk away, you can do better

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
Minor accident lol, run away from that. Looks like it got hit hard enough to deform the roof, doesn't add up. Accident would have been documented, where are the pictures of the damage ? They repaired it but didn't fix the roof damage, lots of things are not adding up. I wouldn't pay 25K for that, also get a new mechanic while your at it...

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
30k is all i would spend on that. Not near msrp for an old car with a major collision repair.
Keep looking, be logical not emotional in this purchase.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Man your Mechanic is trying to screw you over big time. I would never recommend a salvaged car without a significant discount and everything repaired perfectly from factory.

Don't buy it you will have headaches down the road

SupraGuy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Turbo
Country flag
Owner said they would take it back to get fixed before I buy, but I’d like to see what you all think. Thanks.
You’re saying it’s worth paying the 6-7k over MSRP for one that has no history even if it drives fine? Thanks so much for the advice!
I would say that you asked for opinions, and you got them. The majority of people here have said that they think you should keep looking.

I obviously haven't seen that particular car, so whatever I think will be based on what you've said. In the end, it's your money, and your decision. A competently repaired car with a clean title should be good.

Where I get wary is that if the shop and the owner missed the cosmetic damage to the roof, what else did they miss? What might the mechanic have missed? Are the replacement airbags guaranteed to be good? Are all the interior parts going to last, or will you be plagued with rattles and squeaks in 6 months? Would that bother you? I know it would drive me nuts, and maybe it will be fine, but there is an increased possibility that it will not.

Also keep in mind that frame repairs will always weaken the structure. It has been repaired to drive WELL but is it really like an undamaged car? It might be fine if you plan on leaving it absolutely stock, but any modification increases stress on parts, and you may not get the same performance as you would on an undamaged car, even one starting at a lower trim level.

In the replies there is a trend to be cautious. It may be worth a more careful inspection of the car before buying.

Last edited:

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Like others have said - 'walk away'. The only thing I would add is that prices on ALL cars are going to start/continue to decrease so unless you were scoring a 'deal of a lifetime' and $37k is NOT it - give it another 6mo and I feel you'll be able to find some nice clean title CTRs for that price.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Man.....I paid like $38K for mine brand new and didn't feel I got a deal
:confused1: I would understand taking the risk on damaged goods if it was like $25K but at $37K??? HELL NOOOOO!

I would be patient, prices will come down. The era of all these used car places massively overpaying for cars is coming to an end. I would bet a year from now, $37K gets you closer to a face lifted one with no accident history drama.

I could care less about the up and down values as I plan on keeping this car for a very long time BUT, if you aren't in love with yours and are flirting with the idea of getting out of it, I would do it sooner rather than later.
Sponsored