Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My fronts are losing their clear coat also, my car is simply a commuter-FL has no twistys, no hills, etc., nothing to drive excitedly lol. No reason to even get them warm enough to melt clear coat.
I'm going to contact my dealer and find out what their opinion is, but how long did it take to change them out at the dealer once they had them in stock?
Sponsored

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Unfortunately Brembo paint quality is shit.

I had some spots start to peel on both of my front calipers, and it only got bigger when picking at it with my finger nail. I am well out of warranty so I did my best to chip off the loose clear coat, and brushed on some automotive clear coat from a spray can.

To my surpise, the clear coat actually blended nicely after I used a heat gun to cure it, and has been holding up.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
19 here - dealer replaced both calipers under warranty because of this. Not had the issue since.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
It's easy enough to touch up; Just mask up and add some VHT Clear coat spray when you're next working on the brakes.

I was a little overzealous with the sandpaper when tidying up the damage and had to touch up the red paint too - Beware the colour coat is incredibly thin!

typeroar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
It's easy enough to touch up; Just mask up and add some VHT Clear coat spray when you're next working on the brakes.

I was a little overzealous with the sandpaper when tidying up the damage and had to touch up the red paint too - Beware the colour coat is incredibly thin!
When you say you sanded to tidy up the damage do you mean you took off the rest of the gloss paint that was still on the caliper to make it match the rest of the color coat? How did you cure it afterwards?

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
When you say you sanded to tidy up the damage do you mean you took off the rest of the gloss paint that was still on the caliper to make it match the rest of the color coat? How did you cure it afterwards?
Rather than pluck away with a nail I used a (Gentle? :D ) Wet sand to clear up the flaking gloss coat, as it helps take the sharp edge off where it has peeled as well, giving you a nicely primed surface to blend into.

Followed the curing process on the primer; Just popped on a couple of light coats whilst I did the other brakes and carefully popped the wheels back on, left it to stand for a fair while before driving.

typeroar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Rather than pluck away with a nail I used a (Gentle? :D ) Wet sand to clear up the flaking gloss coat, as it helps take the sharp edge off where it has peeled as well, giving you a nicely primed surface to blend into.

Followed the curing process on the primer; Just popped on a couple of light coats whilst I did the other brakes and carefully popped the wheels back on, left it to stand for a fair while before driving.
Awesome, I’ll give this a try. Thanks!!
Sponsored