david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I have to agree with dick w here. With the design of this engine, the borescope will be able to see the clip. Now, the view of that clip may be a bit messier than the pretty pictures Honda included in the instructions - especially as the engine will have just had several quarts of oil in it shortly before inspection.
Sponsored

Sushimaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 lx
Vehicle Showcase
Just called and got told my VIN isn't on the list, "for now". Because they are still in the process of determing all the potential affected car, i will get notification by poste if my car ever show up on the list. Sigh...my vin end in the 11000 range.

lalajuju

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX CVT
Just called and got told my VIN isn't on the list, "for now". Because they are still in the process of determing all the potential affected car, i will get notification by poste if my car ever show up on the list. Sigh...my vin end in the 11000 range.
What's the manufacturing month and year of the car?
I am looking at one in dealer lot with VIN in high 12000s that dealer and honda canada both say doesn't fall in recall list but not sure if their list is incomplete and more will get added.

Sushimaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 lx
Vehicle Showcase
What's the manufacturing month and year of the car?
I am looking at one in dealer lot with VIN in high 12000s that dealer and honda canada both say doesn't fall in recall list but not sure if their list is incomplete and more will get added.
I looked on the sticker that have my VIN number on it and it said January 16.

daroza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
That's consistent with the early January time frame someone mentioned in this thread and VIN ranges I checked out on a dealer website. Hopefully everything over 11000 is good

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag

daroza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
NHTSA is now showing data on this recall. This document includes VIN ranges and history of the issue as Honda disclosed to NHTSA:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM498870/RCLRPT-16V074-0032.PDF

Hopefully based on their process change adopted January 8th, cars shipped after that date are good to go. But by the sounds of this, their line workers couldn't repair a defective piston assembly satisfactorily. So are they going to have the dealers try to fix the piston assembly on defective cars? Hopefully, for those effected, they replace the whole part.

"January 8, 2016

Honda applied a second process change to the engine assembly line to prohibit assembly line associates from
attempting to repair piston assemblies identified as “no good” during assembly line quality checks."

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hopefully based on their process change adopted January 8th, cars shipped after that date are good to go. But by the sounds of this, their line workers couldn't repair a defective piston assembly satisfactorily. So are they going to have the dealers try to fix the piston assembly on defective cars? Hopefully, for those effected, they replace the whole part.
Not how i read it. As i read it, they are now including cars made 9/22/15 to 2/3/16. What happened between the second process change on January 8th and February 3rd is not clear. Maybe that's the worst case for January 7th engines getting assembled into a car. Maybe the additional reports between 1/9 and 1/26 made them re-think so they also decided they had to suck it up and do a safety recall. Note that they added vehicles between 1/30 and 2/9. They probably looked at their records and decided they couldn't defend not recalling the later cars. I bet they are collecting more data now than prior to 2/3.

The US TSB says that any piston found with a missing or mis-installed snap ring is getting, minimum, "replacement piston assemblies".

I also read this to say that Honda is expecting less than 1 in 100 cars to have the defect. Also that three or four out of 10 or 11 cars exhibiting symptoms as of 1/29 were either identified in the factory or pre-sale. I am trying to read this between the lines though, so YMMV. 11 symptomatic cars out of a 42,000 car recall gives at least a hint of the probabilities here.

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I should add that I'm kinda shocked that they knew they had a problem on the 9th of November, when they addressed in the engine assembly process, even if not completely successfully, and couldn't get it completely corralled until cars final assembled after 2/3. Not their finest hour, for sure.

daroza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Not how i read it. As i read it, they are now including cars made 9/22/15 to 2/3/16. What happened between the second process change on January 8th and February 3rd is not clear. Maybe that's the worst case for January 7th engines getting assembled into a car.
If they knew there was a problem that prompted a process change on January 8, it would be inexcusable to install an uninspected engine, assembled before January 8, into a car, after January 8.

Scion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I just checked again and it now shows 1 recall for me. Last of my vin are 517715.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it would be inexcusable to install an uninspected engine, assembled before January 8, into a car, after January 8.
We don't know any of the details of the trades they were considering or the data they were using to make their assessments. The world probably looks different from the inside.
Sponsored