2016 engine recall

hailmary1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm about to buy a 2016 Civic LX. How do I know that they aren't selling me one of the recalled cars?
Sponsored

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Even if they were, it's probably been checked or fixed by now. There's a thread here somewhere about what build dates to look for.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Look through the sticky at the top of the page there's a link you can go to where you type in the VIN and it will tell you if it was recalled.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Before you buy it, they can run a service history on it, if blank OK, if not, well, it has been fixed or will be fixed. There was a stop sale at one time.

Chris G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2010 Toyota Prius
I would not hesitate to buy a recalled car for this issue. It was a matter of the piston rod retaining clips not being installed correctly. It's not all that difficult to remove the oil, and inspect the pistons with a camera. If everything is installed correctly than it is easy for them to fill it back up with oil and you are all set. There were only a few engines that needed to have the clips replaced and that should be possible by removing the oil pan.

Clear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
If you're buying from a reputable Honda dealer, they won't even let you test drive the car if there is a recall. I wanted to test drive the CR-Z, but it was under recall, and even though they had one on the lot I could look at from the outside, they didn't even have a key to open it.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
If you're buying from a reputable Honda dealer, they won't even let you test drive the car if there is a recall. I wanted to test drive the CR-Z, but it was under recall, and even though they had one on the lot I could look at from the outside, they didn't even have a key to open it.
Have you noticed that Honda has a ton more recalls that say, 10 years ago...cost cutting I think.

Chris G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2010 Toyota Prius
I have noticed this for Toyota as well. I think the internet and higher customer expectations have increased the number of recalls. It used to be normal for a car to need a new water pump at 50k miles. Now if a car needs one at 50K that is unusual. If the majority of a particular need replacment early then customers can share this info on forums like this one. If the dealer takes care of the issue with a recall, we are all happy, but if everyone is reporting a problem and the dealer does not take care of it eventually then we consider that a real flaw.

We now expect that with most cars we should not need to pay for much other than oil changes for the first 100k miles.

Deleted member 5421

Have you noticed that Honda has a ton more recalls that say, 10 years ago...cost cutting I think.
Cost cutting or is it that the complexity of the vehicles is exponential in relation?
Sponsored