jordan curtis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL turbo
Just called honda about my exl turbo she said there are no recalls on my car thank jesus
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I called American Honda, asked them if there are any recalls on my vehicle. After I provided them with my VIN, the rep said there's a "precaution/safety warning regarding the piston ring" for all 2016 Civics. He wouldn't say if mine specifically is affected, just that there's a warning. Hm.
One can infer from a number of different postings that they might be working to figure out if there is a way to narrow the suspect vehicle list. If they are able to do this in a sound technical way, it's a good thing for every owner that gets back off the list. This stuff isn't simple. And it doesn't happen in Internet discussion forum time.

Keith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Still, even inspecting them that way to find most of them are "assembled correctly" is pretty intrusive.
I'm just thinking lesser-of-the-two-evils but I don't know what the "inspection" will actually involve.

The whole thing sucks granted but I'm actually impressed how Honda is "on it"...at least at the moment. All I can really do is try to keep a positive outlook and trust Honda. All the major brands have had some kind of issues, it's how they handle them that counts.

enboe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX, 2014 Stingray Premiere
Well, I won/lost the recall lottery, and will be getting my letter to bring the car in for inspection and repair in March. Now, do I wish for a no-issue-found or the-engine-needs-replacement? Maybe they'll fix the fuel overfill issue by then too.

OP
OP

bobman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008. F150, 2013 wrangler, 1999 civic, 2000 wind star,94 explorer, 88 jimmy , 08 vtx1300, 14 crf250l, 15 cbr500r
I'm no expert, but couldn't they just stick that scope through the oil drain plug hole?

If so then this is probably not a big deal at all. And you may get a free oil Chang with it. :)

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm actually impressed how Honda is "on it"...at least at the moment
You can tell people in this thread who have worked in big global corporation regulated/process controlled/ISO9001/ISO13485/FAR style production environments from those who haven't.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm no expert, but couldn't they just stick that scope through the oil drain plug hole?
Nor am I, but I'm thinking it would be very tedious to impossible to guide it where it needed to go from there.

patty88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
One can infer from a number of different postings that they might be working to figure out if there is a way to narrow the suspect vehicle list. If they are able to do this in a sound technical way, it's a good thing for every owner that gets back off the list. This stuff isn't simple. And it doesn't happen in Internet discussion forum time.
Oh, I agree. I'm not freaking out yet. I just found it interesting that some who called have been given the definite "yes, your Honda is affected" or "no, you're good!" answers while I was just told that there's just a warning for now for all vehicles. I really think we have to be patient as difficult as this might be.

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP, Chevy Tahoe LTZ
You can tell people in this thread who have worked in big global corporation regulated/process controlled/ISO9001/ISO13485/FAR style production environments from those who haven't.
What's your point? Is your comment helpful or contributing to anything? Or are you just being pompous? :rolleyes:

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

DATE: January 30, 2016
TO: All Honda Parts & Service Managers, Advisors and Personnel
RE: Stop Sale/Safety Recall: 2016 Civic Piston Pin Snap Ring

On Friday, January 29, 2016, American Honda notified NHTSA of a stop sale and safety recall for approximately 34,000 2016 Civic vehicles due to potentially missing or misset piston pin snap rings that may cause engine stall or failure. Any new or used units in dealer stock must be inspected, and if necessary, repaired per service bulletin 16-017, Safety Recall: Piston Pin Snap Ring once the parts, tools, and complete repair information are available. Refer to your eResponsibility report or VIN inquiry to determine which units in your inventory are affected by this safety recall.

Note: Affected vehicles should not be sold until the repair has been completed. Should an unrepaired vehicle result in any claim because of the required recall repair, the dealership will be solely responsible to the claimant, and will be required to defend and indemnify American Honda for any resulting claims.

All affected units will require use of a borescope to inspect the four cylinders to confirm correct piston pin snap ring placement. Vehicles exhibiting any concerns with piston pin snap ring placement may require replacement of damaged pistons, piston pins or rings, or other related engine components.

Replacement parts are not available at this time. American Honda is working to procure a sufficient number of borescopes and replacement parts to satisfy this recall. As such, the version of bulletin 16-017 posted on the Service Information System does not currently contain any tool, parts, warranty, inspection, or repair information. Once tools and parts are made available, American Honda will revise service bulletin 16-017 to include all details related to this recall. American Honda will notify dealers of the bulletin revision and tool distribution details via iN message.

Customers affected by this safety recall may visit your dealership prior to tool, parts and/or repair procedure availability. Please be sure to inform these customers of the safety recall, being sure to let them know that tools and parts are not currently available, and that they will be notified once supply stabilizes. American Honda expects to conduct customer notification in mid-March 2016. By this time, all necessary tools, parts and details are expected to be available.

As always, please be sure to check VIN status inquiry to determine if this or any open safety recall applies to a particular vehicle.

Click here for the placeholder version of service bulletin 16-017.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic engine recall - piston pin snap ring issue affecting some VINs 2016-civic-recall

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic engine recall - piston pin snap ring issue affecting some VINs 2016 Civic TSB Recall - Piston Pin Snap Rin

Last edited by a moderator:

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
@HondaMan thank you so much for bringing this insight and information the this thread. Hopefully the @Administrator will post this on the 1st page for all who come to check this out. Is your EX affected?

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Thanks Hondaman. So this sounds like it affects all trims not just the 2.0L but no 1.5L VINs have been discovered yet or am I missing something? sorry didn't read the whole thread, its long.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No need to get too concerned at this point, even if I were to call and find out mine was included in the recall, there is nothing that can be done at this time to resolve it. I admit that I'm a bit disappointed being that this is my first Honda, and I expected quality than my past GM vehicles, but no use getting worked up over it.

This is the second time in a row that I've bought the first model year/redesign (Both different GM brands) and having had similar experiences I'm not TOO surprised. You'd think I would have learned by now, but being an 'early adopter' does have its merits. It is nice not only because you are one of the first to have something not many others have, but you also get to drive a vehicle that looks like the newest model for much longer. Our current 2016 Civics will look like the 2017, 2018 giving the appearance that you're driving one of those newer ones, while if I had bought the 2015 early to mid year last year and suddenly this beautifully redesigned model comes out in late 2015, I'd be kicking myself for having a brand new outdated looking model. Silly, right?

Anyway, buying the latest and 'greatest' of anything is always a bit of a gamble no matter what it is, or who the manufacturer is. Perhaps on my next purchase I will wait 6 months to a year after release before diving in, just to allow them to iron out the kinks and bugs (or maybe not).

eighty(one)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
So the website says no, but the Honda recall rep said 'yes'; she didn't seem certain but gave me a case number anyways.

Disappointed, as I bought the vehicle 8 days ago :(
Sponsored