1st oil change

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si ✓
The civic is not equipped with an oil testing lab and it is certainly unable to monitor oil quality. But it can use any sensors and counters it actually has to estimate the remaining oil life. Certainly uses temperatures, mileage and number of cycles. May also be using rpm, boost usage, timers, and any ECU parameters it wants.
It's not that I do not believe you because all that very well may be true.

Call me old school. But
Im pre-maintenence minder era so standard rule was strict 3k mile change for conventional oils, and then when synthetics arrived it was every 5k, then , 7.5k, then 10k. And now even higher claims by manufactures.

With what you are describing the miles are only 1 variable that can vary drastically. The car would now be able to differentiate between a sub-quality synthetic oil VS a top quality Amsoil brand. Giving different time frames of "oil life" .

If this is all true, (I know no one would actually do this but) a cheapo no name dino-oil in our cars should result in maintenance minder reporting oil life expiring super fast VS a high quality synthetic.

This is all intriguing to me, and some evidence-based results, studies, papers,be or what not would be pretty cool.

anecdotal reports or experiments helpful too.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
With what you are describing the miles are only 1 variable that can vary drastically. The car would now be able to differentiate between a sub-quality synthetic oil VS a top quality Amsoil brand. Giving different time frames of "oil life" .

If this is all true, (I know no one would actually do this but) a cheapo no name dino-oil in our cars should result in maintenance minder reporting oil life expiring super fast VS a high quality synthetic.
Unfortunately, the civic doesn't have any idea what you are pouring in the engine. You could use a jug of used 25 years old dino oil found in your garage, or fresh Italian extra virgin cold pressed olive oil and it would make no difference whatsoever to MM.

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the MM assumes you are using the proper recommended fluids for your vehicle....0W20 synthetic

if you choose to deviate from what the manufacturer recommends, then that is your own problem
Unfortunately, the civic doesn't have any idea what you are pouring in the engine. You could use a jug of used 25 years old dino oil found in your garage, or fresh Italian extra virgin cold pressed olive oil and it would make no difference whatsoever to MM.
It could just be me so please forgive the ignorance if it is so. I

Just trying to understand how MM works here.

So far, it sounds like a glorified mileage counter.

But, if it takes additional parameters from the vehicle to calculate an estimated oil life expectancy that is superior than the ole "every 5k, 7.5k, 10k, 12k"or "whatever it is depending on who youre speaking with)

If what I am reading here is true, then we no longer have to worry about mileage, who manufactures the oil as long as it's synthetic 0w20.

Are all the higher end synthetic oils with the 1 yr+ (ex. AMSOILs premium line) pointless as it'll just be seen the same as olive oil?

OR are all the oil manufactures lying to us and all synthetics are the same.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit confused.

Still just seems like all MM does is count miles though. :Shrugs:

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the key word there is estimate, that is all its doing,

the MM should not be relied on to be 100% accurate....because it isn't

if you and a buddy buy the exact same car on the same day, your MM would likely go down at different rates, because you both drive your cars differently,

a car that is driven twice a day on the highway for 200 miles is going to have the MM go down a lot slower compared to a car that is driven for 10 short 5 min trips per day in the city,
Okay, thank you for affirming my original personal assumption. I had the same exact allagory in my mind.

What I was looking for was some actual evidence other than
"Because I said so".

When combined with statements such as -how the car may not know olive oil from any other oil, or how the Civic always assumes it's Honda spec 0w20. Things seemed contradictory and confusing.

Okay so it s soundslikean algorithm of some kind that can be universally applied to any type of oil... maybe even any liquid.

If this is in fact the case, and due to it being all the same to the Civic. "higher-end' synthetics and also the Brand wouldn't matter. Ie. Castrol, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc.

So in essence then, the MM would only really be accurate with Honda's own oil....is this correct?

Man this got drawn out way too long I've got even more questions I don't believe will be answered here.

Always learning. Peace.

Last edited: