When to: Oil Change!

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm confused. I thought Honda said to change it once a year even if you don't get the MM. I probably won't touch 5K in the first year of car ownership. Should I change it anyways, or just wait for the MM?
The manual states "If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year."

I don't believe that the MM accounts for time, only milage, driving conditions and temperature. So if you don't reach the point where the MM says to change oil, do it at 1 year maximum.
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I don't believe that the MM accounts for time, only milage, driving conditions and temperature. So if you don't reach the point where the MM says to change oil, do it at 1 year maximum.
I think this is correct. I haven't changed the oil in my S2000 in just over a year (yeah yeah, I'm going to soon) and yet the MM is stilling showing 65% oil life remaining (I don't drive it a lot).

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think this is correct. I haven't changed the oil in my S2000 in just over a year (yeah yeah, I'm going to soon) and yet the MM is stilling showing 65% oil life remaining (I don't drive it a lot).
This is the 10th gen Civic we're talking about. This is different. What I posted earlier will apply to the OP's question. The manual will cover Honda's butt because if there is a malfunction with MM and it is not working a person not knowing anything about cars will just keep driving for years. Lol

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
This is the 10th gen Civic we're talking about. This is different. What I posted earlier will apply to the OP's question.
What evidence do you have that the MM algorithm is different?

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
What evidence do you have that the MM algorithm is different?
I forget what site it was but it does make sense because people's driving habits that have a short commute less then 10 miles are all getting about 4-6,000 miles to 0% oil life. But it was someone at Honda that posted this info I was reading up on. People that had a longer commute were getting an obvious longer interval. And no one went over a year. Obviously the 2016 Civic is a totally different computer and engineering involved than your 15 year old gen s2000. But if I come across that site I will post it for you.
Do you own a 10th gen Civic?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I forget what site it was but it does make sense because people's driving habits that have a short commute less then 10 miles are all getting about 4-6,000 miles to 0% oil life.
People were getting that long before the 10th gen Civic came out. Honda's algorithms to compute oil life based on driving/engine conditions are not new. They're not unique to the 10th gen Civic. And there's no indication that they now have a calendar so that the car tells you to change the oil when it's a year old. The fact that the manual tells you to change it after a year regardless of what the MM says is clear evidence that it doesn't.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
People were getting that long before the 10th gen Civic came out. Honda's algorithms to compute oil life based on driving/engine conditions are not new. They're not unique to the 10th gen Civic. And there's no indication that they now have a calendar so that the car tells you to change the oil when it's a year old. The fact that the manual tells you to change it after a year regardless of what the MM says is clear evidence that it doesn't.
True. I agree. But if you read my posts. Did I or did I not say I wasn't sure about the 1 year? Just sayin.
Also this is there first DI TURBO engine that they engineered. I do believe that they updated the algorithms. Btw. I am still looking for that site. Here it is http://www.s2ki.com/ Hahaha

Last edited:

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
Some cars like my Audi was 10,000/1year interval (but didn't account for driving habits/trip distances). So depending how he drives he just might hit 10,000. I'm guessing that Honda also might have a maximum mileage of 10,000 or 1 year whichever comes first also lowering these numbers are driving habits/trip distances. So if he drives long trips he might just hit the 10,000 if he don't hit the 1 year mark first.
I am thinking its going to be close to 10K miles.I will hit the mileage long before the one year mark as i drive a long distance to work 4 days a week

I drive @400-430 miles a week to work and 95% of that is all highway miles.No stop and go the entire way.I will keep updating the oil life along with the mileage as it goes higher.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I am thinking its going to be close to 10K miles.I will hit the mileage long before the one year mark as i drive a long distance to work 4 days a week

I drive @400-430 miles a week to work and 95% of that is all highway miles.No stop and go the entire way.I will keep updating the oil life along with the mileage as it goes higher.
Yeah. You'll get your money's worth then out of your oil changes. That's a lot over 20K. I wish someone here could elaborate on the time thing. But I'm sure it's a maximum of 10,000mi/1year (not sure of the 1 year). So if someone does not drive it for an extended amount of time say 4 months I would like to see if it drops oil life %. Because I was on other sites and threads here and they say upon picking up their car at dealer there oil life was at like 65% with only 20 miles. So how could that be. I suggested and I have no proof or evidence of this is that Honda has a 1 year time calculated into the math that's all I could think of is that this new car sat on lot for 4 months before it was purchased dropping it by 33.33%. Those people did respond stating that their DOM was 4 months prior. That was my suggestion unless someone is willing to do an oil change and reset the MM and let car sit for a year and see if it changed to 0%. Lol. Hahahahaha.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
Yeah. You'll get your money's worth then out of your oil changes. That's a lot over 20K. I wish someone here could elaborate on the time thing. But I'm sure it's a maximum of 10,000mi/1year (not sure of the 1 year). So if someone does not drive it for an extended amount of time say 4 months I would like to see if it drops oil life %. Because I was on other sites and threads here and they say upon picking up their car at dealer there oil life was at like 65% with only 20 miles. So how could that be. I suggested and I have no proof or evidence of this is that Honda has a 1 year time calculated into the math that's all I could think of is that this new car sat on lot for 4 months before it was purchased dropping it by 33.33%. Those people did respond stating that their DOM was 4 months prior. That was my suggestion unless someone is willing to do an oil change and reset the MM and let car sit for a year and see if it changed to 0%. Lol. Hahahahaha.
Interesting if it is a time based thing.Its the only thing that makes sense as the dealer would not change the oil in a brand new car.

We may get to see on some type R's in the hands of owners that wont drive them much if the oil life drops without driving.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Interesting if it is a time based thing.Its the only thing that makes sense as the dealer would not change the oil in a brand new car.

We may get to see on some type R's in the hands of owners that wont drive them much if the oil life drops without driving.
Yeah that's what was happening on the 2016 Civics. So that's my only suggestion. And there were a few people that were on this forum that meantioned they just took delivery and noticed a few days later their MM was at 70 or 75% with less than 100 miles.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

Yeah if that's the case then upon delivery those owners should just reset the MM themselves right after driving off the lot. There really is no contaminants in the oil really with less than 5 - 10 miles.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Couple things from me:

- The few UOAs we've received have been favorable. Honda seems to have calibrated their maintenance minders on the conservative side. Following their recommendation has been producing good results so far.
- The factory fill contains a moly additive to assist with the break-in cycle. Feedback here from the So Cal master techs is to keep the factory fill for the full cycle. Before we say this is personal, they have nothing to gain by recommending longer oil change intervals. If anything, it takes away an easy source of revenue from the dealers.

More here:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/the-oil-thread.684/page-5#post-113218

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hit 2300 miles earlier this week and oil life just went to 80%
Sponsored