When to: Oil Change!

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just follow the maintenance minder and change oil when oil life is below 15%.
Agreed 100%! MM to 15%. Especially the first one. Honda supposedly uses a high antifriction formula 'break-in' oil from factory that is supposed to stay in there to help 'mesh' all the parts together. It is argued that Honda does and does not use break-in oil but my service manager said that they do. A 100% full synthetic oil should last almost a year and definitely over 4,000 miles. I would tell these people to always change at 15% like you said especially the first one! But to each his own. It's their car and their money and time. This has been discussed to nauseu in this forum which I had posted before. Just agreeing with you Arnold.
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Honda supposedly uses a high antifriction formula 'break-in' oil from factory that is supposed to stay in there to help 'mesh' all the parts together. It is argued that Honda does and does not use break-in oil but my service manager said that they do.
Honda says that they do:

Honda Civic 10th gen When to: Oil Change! Untitled

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
LOL. 1998?
Lol, well I don't expect them to republish the same thing every year, saying "this is still the same". And assuming one of the additives it refers to is molybdenum, all the used oil analysis reports that have been posted here do show really high moly in the factory-fill oil in our Civics.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Lol, well I don't expect them to republish the same thing every year, saying "this is still the same". And assuming one of the additives it refers to is molybdenum, all the used oil analysis reports that have been posted here do show really high moly in the factory-fill oil in our Civics.
Like I said too. This was copyrighted in 2014. Just reposting the same information since it still applies. Also I posted in another thread here and everybody has their own preference on oil. I just want to state that I use and always will continue to use Amsoil Signature Series oil. Some state that it is no different than other oil companies. Some even posted an engineers' findings of how different companies compare and in their finding found that Amsoil does in fact use a very high moly formula in their Signature series oil. But that's what I use

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
What colour is your oil after say 3000-4000 km? Mine gets really dark brown so I was wondering if that's an issue..also my maintenance minder always shows 0 which I think is the sign for change oil. Do you guys think I should be worried about this? I'm at 5500km and have had my first oil change done at 2800km but the 0 on maintenance minder didn't go away..

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
What colour is your oil after say 3000-4000 km? Mine gets really dark brown so I was wondering if that's an issue..also my maintenance minder always shows 0 which I think is the sign for change oil. Do you guys think I should be worried about this? I'm at 5500km and have had my first oil change done at 2800km but the 0 on maintenance minder didn't go away..
Well who did your oil change?
Your car doesn't know that you changed the oil; it must be reset. This can be done right from the radio screen and going to the right prompts (all in the manual btw). Then just reset it and it will go back to 100%. Oil gets dark quick and doesn't mean it is no good just because it is brown or dark brown. You only went about 1,600 miles and should not be at 0%. They never reset it. I would reset it now asap and then just dump the oil and the filter at say 25% oil life next time. Then you will be on track.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
If i go by the MM i will be way up there in miles for my first oil change

Im at 90% with 2000 miles on the odometer

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

That's sounds about right. That's why I said to have 'bluegreencheese' to have his changed at 25% he said he had about 2,000 miles on new oil. So I always will change my oil at 15% so add the 10% for the 2,000 miles. So that's why I just said to him to reset the MM & dump the oil @ 25%.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue

I'd say that its like going to be completely proportional as you could be anywhere from 81%-90% left: I doubt you'll reach 10,000 before hitting zero, but 7,500-9,000 is completely reasonable. I'm at 8,500 miles at 5%.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'd say that its like going to be completely proportional as you could be anywhere from 81%-90% left: I doubt you'll reach 10,000 before hitting zero, but 7,500-9,000 is completely reasonable. I'm at 8,500 miles at 5%.
Some cars like my Audi was 10,000/1year interval (but didn't account for driving habits/trip distances). So depending how he drives he just might hit 10,000. I'm guessing that Honda also might have a maximum mileage of 10,000 or 1 year whichever comes first also lowering these numbers are driving habits/trip distances. So if he drives long trips he might just hit the 10,000 if he don't hit the 1 year mark first.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I'm confused. I thought Honda said to change it once a year even if you don't get the MM. I probably won't touch 5K in the first year of car ownership. Should I change it anyways, or just wait for the MM?

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm confused. I thought Honda said to change it once a year even if you don't get the MM. I probably won't touch 5K in the first year of car ownership. Should I change it anyways, or just wait for the MM?
Use the MM if you have it. Honda uses algorithms to determine the amount of degradation of oil quality. This includes driving habits, idle time, etc lowering the 1 year mark or the 10,000 miles (not sure of the mileage but I'm sure it's close) I haven't heard of anyone that reset their MM at the time they changed the oil and went over 10,000 miles until the next MM notification. Older hondas might be 1 year or 10,000 if using full synthetics. But these 10th gen Civics uses algorithms that determine the % oil life. Maybe a mechanic or someone messing around with the radio might accidentally reset the MM so maybe that's why Honda said if MM doesn't activate by 1 year to dump oil. I'm just guessing that is maybe why 'Honda' said this to you. Did your dealer say this to you? Hope that cleared it up for you. Especially if it will be your first oil change. You will want to leave that 'break-in' oil in there until MM is at 15% or 10%.
Sponsored

Last edited: