'17 Hatch - 1st Oil Change with a Twist...

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
"Break in oil" is urban legend. Might have been true once upon a time, but not anymore.

Not to mention, the engine is totally broken in way before the oil reminder is down to 0%.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
"Break in oil" is urban legend. Might have been true once upon a time, but not anymore.

Not to mention, the engine is totally broken in way before the oil reminder is down to 0%.

It is your opinion, I'm not a expert .

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not an expert either, but if Honda says leave it in for a while, and they did, I'm leaving it in like they said to.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
There is this device called an "oil filter" on the engine which removes particulate matter from the oil.
Didnt do much of a job FYI. My oil drain pan got noticeable amount of silver flakes on first 3 oil changes.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
The virgin oil has alot of metal flakes in it. I dumped mine out at 700 miles right after break-in. Knock on wood for you.
If your oil had visible metal flakes in it at 700 miles then your oil filter wasn't doing jack.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Are you serious ?
You should read about the shit i did to my old turbo car and it ran fine at like 140k miles.

Do you think honestly that Honda would risk their reputation on a motor that couldn't handle an initial factory OCI at the computer specified range of 7000-9000 miles? I mean seriously, they put this same motor into their 3 best selling vehicles, the CRV, Civic, and Accord. There must be like, a million motors a year they're producing. I wouldn't let an arm-chair engineer try to scare me into anything.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Get over it, guys... It all comes down to however you want to maintain your own car, starting from its most critical break-in period when the oil degrades most from viscosity break down, fuel dilution, and contaminant saturation. Sure, it'll take some neglect for a while, whichever way you want to justify it. Then you'll wonder why it's burning oil and not as healthy as it could've been, and you'll blame Honda for trusting their engineers and the almighty EPA.

Some larger and heavier metal particles cannot be drawn back up at oil pickup and through oil filter, as they sit at bottom of oil pan until the oil is drained out.

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How many miles the OP left the factory fill in is not a big deal in most cases. MM is rather conservative, and enough UOAs done on FF Oil have been shared to confirm this. There is risk of a warranty 'gotcha' later down the line though. Same goes if you do not document when and what products went in for each scheduled maintenance- doesn't matter if you go to the dealership or not, it's the owner's responsibility toward maintaining the warranty.

Cars arrive at the dealership containing oil that has high moly content. Regardless of the moly coming from a special break-in additive package or being released by piston skirts, the fact is that when you drive off the lot with a new Civic the oil in it has much more moly than the oil going in during a change. No myth or legend to it. Yes, about 90% of break-in occurs during the first 2000mi, but if the particle content was a risk between that point and when MM calls for the oil to be changed, we would be told to change it sooner. Not the case.
Anyone is free to drain it and put in the oil of their choice as soon as they please. But folks who are outspoken now about having done this should expect nothing less than to have it thrown back in their face if they start griping on these same forums about high oil consumption and side-effects of subpar compression years later.

Last edited:

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
If your oil had visible metal flakes in it at 700 miles then your oil filter wasn't doing jack.
Other people on this forum had experience it and My family's Brand new HRV did the same. I am OCD on maintenance as well. I did 2 oil change on my HB sport before it got to 1500 miles. The car is running well right now at 158xx miles and it just became 1 year old 3 days ago.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Cars arrive at the dealership containing oil that has high moly content. Regardless of the moly coming from a special break-in additive package or being released by piston skirts, the fact is that when you drive off the lot with a new Civic the oil in it has much more moly than the oil going in during a change. No myth or legend to it. Yes, about 90% of break-in occurs during the first 2000mi, but if the particle content was a risk between that point and when MM calls for the oil to be changed, we would be told to change it sooner. Not the case.
Anyone is free to drain it and put in the oil of their choice as soon as they please. But folks who are outspoken now about having done this should expect nothing less than to have it thrown back in their face if they start griping on these same forums about high oil consumption and side-effects of subpar compression years later.
Do you have a link to an oil analysis report for the original Honda oil? I've been looking but can't find one.

Regarding moly, some oils have a lot and others don't. All within the same spec. It just depends on the blend the oil manufacturer chooses. Moly is a friction reducing additive for the most part so it seems odd if Honda would choose a high moly product for the factory fill since we are trying to seat the rings during break in (among other things).

17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CRV EXL AWD; 18 CRV EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A perk I got when I bought mine was 2 years of free maintenance. Had 2nd oil change last month and have been very pleased with dealer service department.
Sponsored