First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
ITT: people that did not read after the first paragraph of the OP
Lol I saw that after I posted, didn’t read the entire post because I thought the OP was complaining like some of the people I’ve heard who didn’t even own one or some of the threads I’ve seen on this forum

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Love the OP. Nice "gotcha" there! I came from a gorgeous Audi S5. Very sophisticated. Very refined. Oh so smooth, super high tech--hell, even the seats had built-in massagers! But, well, it was boring, heavy, and sort of soulless. The Honda is, well, a Honda, but the compromises they made are good ones, IMO, and the value is quite good. And it's fun and no one ever called a CTR soulless! Do I miss some fancy things? Sure. But the CTR actually has a few things the Audi lacked, so it's never a simple thing.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Love the OP. Nice "gotcha" there! I came from a gorgeous Audi S5. Very sophisticated. Very refined. Oh so smooth, super high tech--hell, even the seats had built-in massagers! But, well, it was boring, heavy, and sort of soulless. The Honda is, well, a Honda, but the compromises they made are good ones, IMO, and the value is quite good. And it's fun and no one ever called a CTR soulless! Do I miss some fancy things? Sure. But the CTR actually has a few things the Audi lacked, so it's never a simple thing.
I feel you bro...you hit the nail on the head. Luxury is niiiiice....but a CTR is a CTR

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
The CTR is a fantastic car, but it wouldnt have hurt honda to put alittle bit more refinement in it
What seems unrefined to you? It rides better than any of its competitors despite the rubber band tires. So far mine is far more rattle-free than any of my Mazda’s or VW’s.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Agreed with everything but the overheating issues. Some people literally did all the cooling mods out there (bigger radiator, oil cooler, vented hood, radiator hoses, etc) and they still have issues. So it's a design flaw from the factory.

For previous owners of the FK8's peer competitors (Evo, STi, Focus RS), did they have overheating issues from the factory?
Not a previous owner, but I think the Focus RS tends to overheat its rear diff on the track. I don’t think the Evo and STI have any track overheating issues, but neither of those are modern platforms. They both have their roots in 25 year old designs.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
They do need to work out the oil dilution issue. I have owed a few GDIs and the Civic or the Honda 1.5T rather is the only one where so much gas was getting into the crank case you could smell gas when you pulled the dipstick. Other than that the Si and CTR are great cars for the value no doubt and if you want a sporty car on a budget there is no better option really. Even comparable models like the VW Golf GTI or Suby WRX STI will run you at least as much and often more than what the equivalent Honda offering costs.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What seems unrefined to you? It rides better than any of its competitors despite the rubber band tires. So far mine is far more rattle-free than any of my Mazda’s or VW’s.
Mine rattles a bunch, but it’s not really an unrefined vehicle, it’s just not a luxury experience. It’s more on the raw side.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Range is almost as bad as a Tesla. Why couldn’t they give the car 16 gallon capacity?
I’m not sure why you have such low range but I average 26mpg and I don’t baby it. On 16 gallons thats over 400 miles. I’m not sure how that’s bad. I’ve seen a lot if people complain about fuel mileage but it was always due to driving style. Stay out of boost and shift before 3000 rpm. Too many people just hang the rpm above 3000 or close to it. If you want fuel mileage you need to be in lower rpm. One member averaged below 18 mph solely due to his driving style. He had large improvement after he changed the way he drove. If it’s not your driving style then I’d get your car checked.

If 400 miles isn’t enough think about this.
My last car was a supercharged zl1 camaro it only had a 19 gallon tank and averaged 16 mpg. If you never got on it. That’s a maximum of 300 miles. That’s bad. A wrx sti has a 15.9 gallon tank and gets much worse mileage cause it’s average is about 19mpg. A new gti only has a 13.2 gallon tank. Even at 34 mpg highway only it’s no further than type r can go.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m not sure why you have such low range but I average 26mpg and I don’t baby it. On 16 gallons thats over 400 miles. I’m not sure how that’s bad. I’ve seen a lot if people complain about fuel mileage but it was always due to driving style. Stay out of boost and shift before 3000 rpm. Too many people just hang the rpm above 3000 or close to it. If you want fuel mileage you need to be in lower rpm. One member averaged below 18 mph solely due to his driving style. He had large improvement after he changed the way he drove. If it’s not your driving style then I’d get your car checked.

If 400 miles isn’t enough think about this.
My last car was a supercharged zl1 camaro it only had a 19 gallon tank and averaged 16 mpg. If you never got on it. That’s a maximum of 300 miles. That’s bad. A wrx sti has a 15.9 gallon tank and gets much worse mileage cause it’s average is about 19mpg. A new gti only has a 13.2 gallon tank. Even at 34 mpg highway only it’s no further than type r can go.

You have a Type R, if so I call BS. My car full and topped off will get a max of 320ish if I granny the absolute shit out of it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Love this post. There are indeed some things that could be better out of the box. That pre-2019 infotainment and sound system is okay but underpowered - with the right source coming into it, the sound isn't bad.

Totally agree that, for the money, this is a fantastic, balanced sports car. Does everything I want it to do without mods.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
On 16 gallons thats over 400 miles.
WTF? You carry around a 5 gallon gas can with you? The gas tank on my 2020 CTR is maybe 11 gallons, max. With like a dozen miles left I can only get 10.5 gallons out of the pump.

And your always shifting a CTR below 3000 RPM? Yea, sure you get better gas mileage at lower RPMS, but the gears just are not that long to drive on a freeway with RPMs that low.
Sponsored