Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
WTF? You carry around a 5 gallon gas can with you? The gas tank on my 2020 CTR is maybe 11 gallons, max. With like a dozen miles left I can only get 10.5 gallons out of the pump.

And your always shifting a CTR below 3000 RPM? Yea, sure you get better gas mileage at lower RPMS, but the gears just are not that long to drive on a freeway with RPMs that low.
I thought it said it was 16 in the quote I didn’t have my fosses on and there’s no way its 10.5 gallons. I’ve put more than that filling it at pump there’s always a reserve. The actual tank size is 12.4. My mistake still that’s more distance than a camaro zl1 will get and the same as sti. The focus rs has slightly larger tank but uses more fuel. Over 300 miles is not an issue. The truth be told the zl1 got 13 mpg. That’s around 250 miles if you completely empty the tank.i was filling it every 200-225 miles. Most compact sports cars in 4cyl seem to be around 12-14 gallons. Most if the time you think your out but there’s always way more than most people think. I’m not sure how your calculating your miles left but clearly it’s not accurate or was designed to tell you to get gas at that mileage not that it’s empty. Still it puts it typical range for this type of car. Truth be told anything bigger would require floor changes and structural. Clearly it’s the same as regular civic. It would be cost prohibitive to make a one car air oak gas tank and it only go to one version of the car. Why are people upset?? You didn’t buy the car cause you love long relaxing boring road trips did you? If that’s what you expect from any car in this class be prepared to be disappointed.
Honda Civic 10th gen I like my Type R, but… E7AAB457-53C1-4AC3-939B-57770D9238C9
Sponsored

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Regarding the size of the fuel tank... This is exactly OP's point. Yes they could have given it a bigger tank, but the car is built off of a regular civic hatch. The base civic gets better fuel economy hence the reason for the small tank. The more parts it can share, the lower the cost.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I’m not sure why you have such low range but I average 26mpg and I don’t baby it. On 16 gallons thats over 400 miles. I’m not sure how that’s bad. I’ve seen a lot if people complain about fuel mileage but it was always due to driving style. Stay out of boost and shift before 3000 rpm. Too many people just hang the rpm above 3000 or close to it. If you want fuel mileage you need to be in lower rpm. One member averaged below 18 mph solely due to his driving style. He had large improvement after he changed the way he drove. If it’s not your driving style then I’d get your car checked.

If 400 miles isn’t enough think about this.
My last car was a supercharged zl1 camaro it only had a 19 gallon tank and averaged 16 mpg. If you never got on it. That’s a maximum of 300 miles. That’s bad. A wrx sti has a 15.9 gallon tank and gets much worse mileage cause it’s average is about 19mpg. A new gti only has a 13.2 gallon tank. Even at 34 mpg highway only it’s no further than type r can go.
That's great except my CTR has an 12 gallon tank. I'm curious where you got yours? I would love a 16 gallon tank. And if you say you've gotten over 400 miles on one tank, I say BS. On an interstate road trip with cruise control, best I've done is a little over 300.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very funny, you almost got me until I saw the last bit.

Some of the things the CTR doesn't have help not only cost, but for me equally important - weight.
And reliability.

I actually have minimal if any gripes, other than I need more opportunities to take advantage of what it does have. A tad more range would be good, not that it matters these days. I do miss the 35 mpg on the SI, but a fair trade off for that engine, those seats, that hatch, and the smile I get every time I see it or drive it.

I don't even take it through a car wash. I would rather just go over it myself by hand and save the clear coat. and paint. Doing that in Arizona in the summer in a 112 degree garage? That is love. Is the CTR perfect? No, and neither is its driver. But it is perfect for me. A keeper.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
A lot of those comfort things you may want also add weight. Sunroof, power seats, big honking stereo etc. The reason this car is as much fun as it is is the relatively low weight compared to its competition. The car is designed to have a bit of an edge and Honda seems to have done a good job at that.

OTOH, the inadequate cooling and continuing to use 20" rims are not good decisions. As for those wanting more power, guess what? The cooling issue will be worse.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Not a previous owner, but I think the Focus RS tends to overheat its rear diff on the track. I don’t think the Evo and STI have any track overheating issues, but neither of those are modern platforms. They both have their roots in 25 year old designs.
25 year old designs and it still works. I have an Evo 8 and it never overheated.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
A lot of those comfort things you may want also add weight. Sunroof, power seats, big honking stereo etc.
I'm glad the CTR didn't come with a sunroof. I'm Filipino and I am dark enough already.? All my other cars came with sunroof and I had no choice. From the '89 SI, '93 Acura GS and my Evo8. Up to now I probably opened those up.....no more than 10x each. Just to lubricate the track.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Agreed with everything but the overheating issues. Some people literally did all the cooling mods out there (bigger radiator, oil cooler, vented hood, radiator hoses, etc) and they still have issues. So it's a design flaw from the factory.

For previous owners of the FK8's peer competitors (Evo, STi, Focus RS), did they have overheating issues from the factory?
As a former owner of a few evo Xs, I haven't heard or experienced overheating issues

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
All of you replying to this post with a list or reasons why or justifying the CTR as it is, did you actually read the whole OP? Did you actually comprehend this statement made;
I hope you realize by now I am being facetious in this rant. I am describing a 911 GT3 not a hot hatch. I have to roll my eyes every time I read a “Why didn’t Honda…” complaint.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
All of you replying to this post with a list or reasons why or justifying the CTR as it is, did you actually read the whole OP? Did you actually comprehend this statement made;
Most did not read all of OP, classic bait.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The posts missing the sarcasm show how that type of post has become very common lately. Everything on the market is a compromise, if they added luxury features then there'd be "Why isn't this an ILX Type R and we get a regular Civic version that's stripped back" posts.

This car had a goal in mind, which it's safe to say it reached, but it's also cool that it reaches outside of it and grabs attention from people who have quibbles with it.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
A car is allowed to have flaws...The CTR is good but it ain't Perfect. The stuff that couldve been better Should have been better. At the price point there is no excuse

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
A car is allowed to have flaws...The CTR is good but it ain't Perfect. The stuff that couldve been better Should have been better. At the price point there is no excuse
You won't find a single Honda designer or engineer who will agree with you because the car fulfills the criteria for a street car. I can't believe people actually take Honda to task for their tuned cars overheating on a track with a straight face. If you want to race, then figure it out. Why is the Honda Civic community so nanny-society??? Life has compromises. Trade-offs.

"Lacking refinement"??? Huh?? I drive the base Civic. I get a pretty crappy four speaker radio. Shit seats. Totally tacky and unrefined engine. Poorly designed shifter. No driving aids(I don't want them). 1/2 rubber, 1/2 leather steering wheel and the list goes on..

Type R gets: 10 or 12 speaker radio with subwoofer. Electronic suspension adjustment. Limited Slip Diff. Super smooth K20 derived engine. Brembo brakes. All leather steering wheel. Up to date infotainment system. $7k hi-end red seats. Soft touch door panel. Driver aids probably? The car is extremely refined and out of my price range. ? But you can keep your rubber band tires!?

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
You won't find a single Honda designer or engineer who will agree with you because the car fulfills the criteria for a street car. I can't believe people actually take Honda to task for their tuned cars overheating on a track with a straight face. If you want to race, then figure it out. Why is the Honda Civic community so nanny-society??? Life has compromises. Trade-offs.

"Lacking refinement"??? Huh?? I drive the base Civic. I get a pretty crappy four speaker radio. Shit seats. Totally tacky and unrefined engine. Poorly designed shifter. No driving aids(I don't want them). 1/2 rubber, 1/2 leather steering wheel and the list goes on..

Type R gets: 10 or 12 speaker radio with subwoofer. Electronic suspension adjustment. Limited Slip Diff. Super smooth K20 derived engine. Brembo brakes. All leather steering wheel. Up to date infotainment system. $7k hi-end red seats. Soft touch door panel. Driver aids probably? The car is extremely refined and out of my price range. ? But you can keep your rubber band tires!?
If something exists, people will complain about it.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my only gripe with the car, my Si got 400+ on a tank. I now get around 280, I feel like I stop for gas all the time.
That is so true. Same size gas tank, but my SI got 35 combined versus 25 combined on the CTR. Of course with everything closed and working remotely, a tank goes further. A minor gripe.
Sponsored