LX-P is the best trim. Here's why.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually, I bought my car with cash. Own it out right. Smells like debt to me on this website
hmmm, $20k of my own cash to pay for a car, or $20k extra cash in the bank making money and someone else's money at .9% for 3 years to buy the car? Not all debt is bad debt if you have the cash on hand as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mynameisdal

mynameisdal

First Name
Dallin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe LX-P
I can see how the title has led to my trim is better than yours but that was not my intention. I just think the the LX-P is an interesting coupe only trim that new buyers should be aware of. There are no posts on this website about this trim, hardly mentioned anywhere.

OP
OP
mynameisdal

mynameisdal

First Name
Dallin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmmm, $20k of my own cash to pay for a car, or $20k extra cash in the bank making money and someone else's money at .9% for 3 years to buy the car? Not all debt is bad debt if you have the cash on hand as well.
I agree with you there. I also bought mine salvage for 8k, already fixed the one dent. Not claiming to have 20k on hand. Car has 19k miles. Looking forward to 10+ years of ownership. Apologies if I am coming off aggressive, I think we all just LOVE our cars

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This… all day long. I save more money per month in my retirement than my mortgage is. Could I pay off the car and the house early? Yes. Should I? Why...? For the ~1% on the car or ~3% on the house is vs, what, ~8% historic gains my retirement is... it just doesn't make good sense to fight to be debt free from relatively low interest loans and have little to nothing going into retirement at high interest gains to accomplish that psychological victory. Better to have a pile of money waiting for me when I retire and have a high standard of living, while getting my home paid off before I retire to keep my living expenses low than pay off the house/car way early and give up a lot of good years of higher compounding interest.

$20,000 invested for 30 years at 8% interest would end up growing to $201,253.14. The smart move would be to put that money to work for you and lose a grand or two in financing a car for 5 years at a low interest rate to let the former be a thing.

Being debt adverse can hurt you. Debt can be used to your advantage... especially in an era of low interests rates for borrowing. It isn't always like this and, in those times... yeah... it might make sense in those things to be debt adverse.

More on topic... it sounds like the LX-P is an outstanding value. I'd have no desire to have one as it lacks Si-specific features... but it's a lot of car for the money.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
After a while, most of the "My choice is best" threads are kinda useless, we are all aware of the various strengths & weaknesses of the different trims, and endless discussions of justification of choices is largely a waste of time.
Consider:
Choose what works best for you, hopefully within your budget.
Buy once, cry once.
Color is subjective and personal.
If you prefer a stick, buy one.
I'll celebrate your choice, celebrate mine if you wish.
If price is your guiding light, just go there, you don't have to justify it.
A discussion of the various pluses & minuses of a certain model & trim can be interesting.
Everyone has a "Wish list" for things that were included/omitted their choice.
If you need help/advice, it's here in abundance, just ask.
Play nice in the sandbox, share your toys!

Perspective: I'm 71, been there, done that, made a lot of mistakes, that's how you learn!
Well said :thumbsup:

wantcivXhb-si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback LX 2019
Country flag
LX owners are the same people who buy Dynex/Insignia TVs and rave about them being better than samsung.

smells like broke in here.

jk
I am hoping this is sarcasm, LOL Not a coupe person, but I specifically chose the LX Hatchback trim even though I can easily afford a Sport Touring. Not a big fan of premium fuel, current Civic has sunroof I never use, and 18" tires cost waay more than 16 or 17. Besides, the Canadian Hatchback LX (6MT, thank you, but no CVTs please) is very well specced--going to a Sport would get me: 18" wheels (don't want), Sunroof (don't like), dual zone A/C (single driver, so not a huge selling point for me), variable intermittent wipers (would be nice, but not something I can't live without), fog lights (added on as an option so I already have it), blindspot camera (I think that looks a bit ugly sticking from the mirror) and push button start (meh, I have used keys for all these years, no big discomfort) The US LX'es seem to be a LOT more basic than the Canadian ones, however :) Canadian LX'es have heated mirrors and seats, 7" touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto etc. so it works out very well. Oh, and I like the blue instrument cluster instead of the red that comes with Sport and Sport Touring (only three HB trims in Canada) although I think that makes me in the minority... Now if only Swindon would get moving and build/ship my car over, I'd be happy! (8 weeks and waiting--LX MT6 is apparently in short supply!)

Never bought an Insignia TV (mostly a Sony man myself, but Samsung's fine) and I had to google what the brand Dynex was, so... :) :) :)

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with you there. I also bought mine salvage for 8k, already fixed the one dent. Not claiming to have 20k on hand. Car has 19k miles. Looking forward to 10+ years of ownership. Apologies if I am coming off aggressive, I think we all just LOVE our cars
thats a great buy bud. even salvage, if you know what you are looking at you can make that stuff work. enjoy it!

OP
OP
mynameisdal

mynameisdal

First Name
Dallin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This… all day long. I save more money per month in my retirement than my mortgage is. Could I pay off the car and the house early? Yes. Should I? Why...? For the ~1% on the car or ~3% on the house is vs, what, ~8% historic gains my retirement is... it just doesn't make good sense to fight to be debt free from relatively low interest loans and have little to nothing going into retirement at high interest gains to accomplish that psychological victory. Better to have a pile of money waiting for me when I retire and have a high standard of living, while getting my home paid off before I retire to keep my living expenses low than pay off the house/car way early and give up a lot of good years of higher compounding interest.

$20,000 invested for 30 years at 8% interest would end up growing to $201,253.14. The smart move would be to put that money to work for you and lose a grand or two in financing a car for 5 years at a low interest rate to let the former be a thing.

Being debt adverse can hurt you. Debt can be used to your advantage... especially in an era of low interests rates for borrowing. It isn't always like this and, in those times... yeah... it might make sense in those things to be debt adverse.

More on topic... it sounds like the LX-P is an outstanding value. I'd have no desire to have one as it lacks Si-specific features... but it's a lot of car for the money.
Great points. Si would be my choice today, but if you don't want a manual, or that spoiler, or maybe don't want untested turbo, it is a good option. As far as being debt adverse, I can see how I sounded that way. Debt is important but many people in this forum are probably in a little too deep. Hopefully everyone ends up with a great car and a good credit score at the end, sadly this is not always the way it goes. I prefer to save my ~300 a month. I will not even mention depreciation which we are all victim to every single day. Anyway, this thread took a turn ha

OP
OP
mynameisdal

mynameisdal

First Name
Dallin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am hoping this is sarcasm, LOL Not a coupe person, but I specifically chose the LX Hatchback trim even though I can easily afford a Sport Touring. Not a big fan of premium fuel, current Civic has sunroof I never use, and 18" tires cost waay more than 16 or 17. Besides, the Canadian Hatchback LX (6MT, thank you, but no CVTs please) is very well specced--going to a Sport would get me: 18" wheels (don't want), Sunroof (don't like), dual zone A/C (single driver, so not a huge selling point for me), variable intermittent wipers (would be nice, but not something I can't live without), fog lights (added on as an option so I already have it), blindspot camera (I think that looks a bit ugly sticking from the mirror) and push button start (meh, I have used keys for all these years, no big discomfort) The US LX'es seem to be a LOT more basic than the Canadian ones, however :) Canadian LX'es have heated mirrors and seats, 7" touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto etc. so it works out very well. Oh, and I like the blue instrument cluster instead of the red that comes with Sport and Sport Touring (only three HB trims in Canada) although I think that makes me in the minority... Now if only Swindon would get moving and build/ship my car over, I'd be happy! (8 weeks and waiting--LX MT6 is apparently in short supply!)

Never bought an Insignia TV (mostly a Sony man myself, but Samsung's fine) and I had to google what the brand Dynex was, so... :) :) :)
Haha thanks for this. I absolutely hate value models, I think the base lx on the sedan only is the only model guilty of this but only because of the hubcaps. No Honda product should be compared to a "Dynex"

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
LX owners are the same people who buy Dynex/Insignia TVs and rave about them being better than samsung.

smells like broke in here.

jk
Nothing wrong with being budget-conscious, friend.

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
This applies to the 2016 coupe, that is what I own. Options vs price point is at the ideal level. You get, keyless entry, remote start, push button start, climate control, moon roof, Bluetooth, Honda sensing if you want it , Leds drive and back (running lights), back up camera, the best looking alloys ( of the 2016s imo), while avoiding a few of the annoyances of the new design in the higher trim levels, (lack of volume knob, strange steering wheel). The exception, obviously is the touring, which finally gives you the upgraded seats and head lights. But for ~10k more? I'll stick with the LX-P. I understand some of these issues have been updated and the LX-P is only available for the coupe, but prove me wrong Which trim did you get and why is it better than the LX-P?
I'm so happy for you that I can hardly contain my excitement.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
For me the choice was simple.
1. My first choice is a Type-R but I'm not paying close to 40K OTD.
"See the way my bank account is setup....I got the savings and the checking..." - :rofl:

2. I don't care about Navi, leather, or sensing.....so the ONLY choice for me is the next best thing (IMO) is my Si coupe...

3. Opinions vary....opinions are like assholes.....we all have them....and they all stink....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
mynameisdal

mynameisdal

First Name
Dallin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me the choice was simple.
1. My first choice is a Type-R but I'm not paying close to 40K OTD.
"See the way my bank account is setup....I got the savings and the checking..." - :rofl:

2. I don't care about Navi, leather, or sensing.....so the ONLY choice for me is the next best thing (IMO) is my Si coupe...

3. Opinions vary....opinions are like assholes.....we all have them....and they all stink....:thumbsup:
For sure. Thanks for your input, I wish I had the SI, would like the speed, but obviously I am very happy with my LX-P. Obviously, a type R would be incredible but if im being honest I don't love the look, very STI but that is a good thing to most people. Should look fast and wow it does. You can not go wrong with a gen x Civic, any trim, any body style.
Sponsored