Hatchback CVT vs Hatchback manual 6MT

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
If you think about it is really pointless for anyone to put a post up - CVT or manual, or which one should I buy?
It is a very personal choice and often depends on your driving situation or need.
Should I buy chocolate or vanilla ice cream, whatever you guys like (or the car magazines suggest) is what I will buy? Right? No.
It seems when people post replies, whatever they currently have, manual or CVT, will defend it to death; but it may not be the best option for the next guy.
The "manual fun factor" may wear off after a few months. For me, it wears off every day after a long 10-12 hour work day. Not so for others, like that 50 y.o. semi truck driver that just wants to keep clutching all his life. Great, I respect that.
Will the manual trans last longer? Could be true... if that is your goal when buying these cars. Lifetime purchaser?
However as it seems, most/some Americans will ditch their car for a better newer version in few years time when some new gadget is added.
These threads definitely have the "entertainment factor".
Godspeed ya'll. :)
Exactly. I’d also like to note that there’s little evidence so far to claim that the MT lasts longer than the CVT. Honda just simply hasn’t been making CVT long enough to see if it will last the 25-30 years the MT does. And, really, is anyone going to keep it long enough to kill it?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

RallyeRedSedan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic/2006 Evo
Country flag
I can see that my post has touched a nerve, so I will go ahead and retract it for now. I will apologise and revise it.

If you got a Civic, type -R you are an enthusiast, an SI, yes close. LX with 2.0 manual (an econo compact car made for fuel efficiency, not for performance) ..well I will just say .......fill in the blank.
Now. if you are wanting to put a cat-back on the said 2.0 N/A, then it maybe a topic for "you may have made the wrong choice".
Lastly, lighten up, this an internet car-forum, no reason to get your blood pressure up over someone's post.
After all, you are super happy with car purchase decision, right? If not do what I do, just swap that (...) out every year for something else. Life is too short.
Wrong
I have a EVO IX and just bought a 6spd lx for my DD...I would never have bought the CVT , it’s just boring to drive

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Wrong
I have a EVO IX and just bought a 6spd lx for my DD...I would never have bought the CVT , it’s just boring to drive
These auto vs. manual threads never have a happy ending. You've got the manual hardliners saying CVT's are trash. And the CVT lovers saying manuals are for dinosaurs. Look, I've been driving longer than a lot of you have been living and most of it rowing my owns gears.

The CVT does it's job in a mostly good way. Hell no it doesn't have the fun factor of a manual, but some of us don't miss having a clutch in 45 minutes of stop and go driving.

CVT wasn't my first choice but Honda didn't offer a manual in the trim I bought. Honestly, this whole thread is a bit pointless because we'll never agree on what the "best" transmission is.

The correct transmission is the one that you buy that fits your needs.

gtman drops mic....

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I am considering breeding my own horses, so I can have the purest of driving, uh... I mean riding experience. Never gonna worry about transmissions going bad!

RallyeRedSedan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic/2006 Evo
Country flag
These auto vs. manual threads never have a happy ending. You've got the manual hardliners saying CVT's are trash. And the CVT lovers saying manuals are for dinosaurs. Look, I've been driving longer than a lot of you have been living and most of it rowing my owns gears.

The CVT does it's job in a mostly good way. Hell no it doesn't have the fun factor of a manual, but some of us don't miss having a clutch in 45 minutes of stop and go driving.

CVT wasn't my first choice but Honda didn't offer a manual in the trim I bought. Honestly, this whole thread is a bit pointless because we'll never agree on what the "best" transmission is.

The correct transmission is the one that you buy that fits your needs.

gtman drops mic....
Yeah, never said it was trash...I just like that third pedal

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have both and really...the manual is way fun to drive....but sometimes in life its fun just not to think and enjoy relaxing while driving.....
i have the paddle shifters in the other ones....its a nice features too!

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha wow. Chill out, folks. First of all. CVT and automatic transmission are NOT the same thing. If you’re basing the argument on that, you need to sit down, shut up, and listen.

Secondly, I am a fan of manual transmission, but I’m not going to pretend the CVT is absolute shit either. There are times I really miss having MT, but there are other times that I am thankful for my CVT.

Nobody said it was better because it’s easier. That’s just complete BS.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
I need to go test drive a 6MT, in both 1.5t and 2.0, to see how it compares. The 2.0 w CVT felt slow or not very responsive, but with tune is a totally different animal. The CVT between the 1.5t and 2.0 is actually different, so isn't always an apples to apples comparison. I've read lots of talk about low end or acceleration lag on the 1.5t CVT that doesn't exist on the CVT for the 2.0.

It's also nice knowing I'm apart of the 18% that knows how to drive stick, and have for the last 22 years - until now. If I'm happy with my CVT, I guess I'm getting old, or tired of shifting. My hand still rests on the shifter. Though I'm plenty happy with its performance on my vehicle.