SpeedyPro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Last weekend I installed the TRS Retro-Quik kit for Civic X. The TL;DR version is this: the lights are way brighter and nicer than the OEM halogen lights, took me the better part of the weekend to do everything.

Here's the contents of the full kit, minus the projectors. I got the 5500k bulbs. I had to email them to send the projectors afterward, they forgot to send them!
Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install pQV32gA

On the TRS site, scroll down to the "What's included" section. Click on the individual components to find the installation instructions for each component.

First thing's first, pull off the bumper. I used a youtube video and a thread from this forum. Thing to note: for the tabs holding the bumper on the headlight, push your flathead straight down into the slot while pulling out on the bumper gently. The tabs need to be pushed down, not outward or inward.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install HwRiTtW

Next, pull the headlights. Youtube. I had to use a 3" and 6" extension and an extended socket to reach the buried bolt on the bottom.
Here's a headlight ready to be unplugged and pulled out:
Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install THLO5vC

At this stage, just unplug the connectors and pull the harness off. Once the headlight is out, take off the two bolts and bracket, and you'll have this:

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install sjWo7l5

Take out the bulbs, seals, and screws around the perimeter of the light, then it's ready for the oven. I put it in the oven for 13 minutes on 200 degrees F. YMMV. Once out, GENTLY pry the lens with a flathead. Don't be overzealous here, or you'll screw up the black plastic.

I don't have pictures of the next few steps, refer to the other thread linked above for removing the DRL, reflectors, and existing projector.

This is the OEM projector:

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install OoUW018

You're replacing this with the kit's projector and bracket. Here's where we run into the first snag. The supplied bracket doesn't fit:

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install 6pYHSc7

I decided to file it down. You could use a jigsaw or something if you have one. I used the OEM bracket to trace where I needed to file.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install qeEpHN8

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install DMNh07W

There we go...it fits! I cleaned it up a bit after this, but it's still a bit rough. It's okay, no one will ever see it.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install DvvhDGY

Now, unscrew the six screws holding the Morimoto projector to it's reflector, and install the bracket. You can only put it on one way, so you can't mess it up.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install 35agIPO

The screws included with the kit bracket don't work, so use the OEM screws to install the projector back into the large reflector.

Some thinking required now. If you want the wires for the cutoff shield to go through the rubber grommet of the bulb, pull out a bulb and run those through the grommet now. Once that's complete, you can install the wires into the connector. If not, you can just install them into the connector. If you don't do this, it won't look as neat (and I did on the first one before realizing my mistake). However, the grommet doesn't seal against the OEM seal anyway, so it doesn't matter a whole lot. There's not a lot of space when the reflector is reinstalled to the headlight, so I inserted the small connector into the projector housing first. I then reinstalled the headlight components, minus the lens and bulbs back into the headlight.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install dBsVJEl

At this point, grab an HID bulb (if you haven't already), and throw it in there. Connect the halfway constructed headlight to your car and turn the lights on. Verify the beam is horizontal. Note your headlight might be crooked if you don't stick it all the way back into its mounting position. It should be horizontal, if it's not, you fucked something up and don't ask me how to fix it haha, 'cause I don't know how! Anyway, once verified, you can unplug it and get ready to put the lens back on.

You can leave the bulb installed or not, I left mine in. Use a soft microfiber cloth to wipe the projector lens, and maybe the inside of the headlight lens, then insert the headlight lens back into the groove of the headlight and press together a bit. *edit* I did not use the reseal that I got with the kit. I didn't lose too much of the existing glue, so I didn't think it necessary. */edit* Throw it back into the oven, and once out, clamp down the edges and reinstall the screws. Wait for half an hour for it to cool down, then you can put the other bulbs and seals back in. I put the large silicone adapter next to the rubber grommet to try to match up to the seal. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of that.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install 5cuZZjl

Headlights are done. Time for the harness stuff.

Figure out how you want your harness to run. Due to the lengths of the leads, you could potentially put the relay on either side, but I think it's preferable to have it on the driver's side. I wanted the driver-side headlight connector attached to the relay lead. I ran my pass ballast lead over the radiator fan, and put the ballasts near the fender. Here's some pictures:

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install WO0UkbT

Note the splitter attached to the hi-beam lead.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install biK9vbw

Low beam on this side not attached to anything.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install 6t8p9ef

Pass ballast lead over the rad fan.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install fvL4LXb

Attached the (+) lead to the battery, (-) lead to the stud behind the fuse box. I may move the (+) to the fuse box in the future.

I used double-sided 3M outdoor tape to attach the ballasts to the body on both sides. I liked how it kept the ballasts hidden. That might be a pain if they fail, but I'm hoping they are good for a while.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install PZnQ52

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install Ex1mLzo

Once you have the harness ready to go, you can reinstall the headlights. Connect one hi-beam splitter to the hi-beam, one to the solenoid connector on the HID. I gathered the loose bits of the harness and zip-tied them together while putting the headlight back in so they wouldn't flop around.

Here are some pictures of my final setup:

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install Q8hCKuw

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install lwHuffw

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install dOf32qY

And, finally, some night shots...Not all the greatest quality, and I forgot to lock white balance.

Before:
Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install 0HeBY2F

After:
Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install OULOonJ

Before:
Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install pn63ldb

After:
Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install Tx8JqRw

After with fogs:
Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install h1EO5RK

After hi-beam (sorry, forgot the before on this one!). The hi beams are really really fucking bright now:
Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install VvhynEf

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install 11uu4ww

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install xfOh0Sm

One thing I did remember is that I can slow my phone camera's shutter speed down, so I got some cool shots of the headlights you can't usually see. With the camera ready, I could see the pulse of the DRLs. The picture will only show part of them. Left and right pulse at different rates (I think the right was slower).

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install rscUezf

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install 8OYeyYZ

Edit 1: Added note about reseal (I didn't use it; didn't lose very much glue).

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Wow nice job. Nice detailed writeup too.:thumbsup:

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your bulbs seem out of alignment ,the hot spot looks low. Happened to me too until I got the motoholders

yamin1021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
Did you adjust alignment and fine tune your projector before reseal the headlight ? The cutoff doesn't look like very sharp, especially the step.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install IMG_20171228_233448 (1)

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install IMG_20171228_233328

OP
OP
SpeedyPro

SpeedyPro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Did you adjust alignment and fine tune your projector before reseal the headlight ? The cutoff doesn't look like very sharp, especially the step.
Mm, they looked sharper at a closer distance, so I thought they were alright. Maybe not. Are your pictures before and after alignment?

yamin1021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
Mm, they looked sharper at a closer distance, so I thought they were alright. Maybe not. Are your pictures before and after alignment?
yes, blurry cut off is not a bad thing in my opinion. Sharp cut off looks good ,but the huge step is very noticable when driving.

Jazzek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EXT, 2003 Taco
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did the same retrofit last Tuesday among other mods (took all day). Only difference is that I trimmed the housing rather than the bracket for the projector mount. Same apparent effect - superb lighting. Alignment post install is fairly straightforward. Great writeup!
My only question out of curiosity is: how did you seal the back end of the projector housing? The kit comes with some rubber but it didn't seem custom fit. I used the large rubber piece fitted to the kit-included headlight part placed against the outside of the stock cover. It looked frankenstein!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

IMG_20171228_233448 (1).jpg

IMG_20171228_233328.jpg
I've never had a Mini H1 lamp. How do you adjust them? To me, it looks like the bulb placement might be a tad deep. Do you use a ring shim between the housing and the lens?

OP
OP
SpeedyPro

SpeedyPro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
My only question out of curiosity is: how did you seal the back end of the projector housing? The kit comes with some rubber but it didn't seem custom fit. I used the large rubber piece fitted to the kit-included headlight part placed against the outside of the stock cover. It looked frankenstein!
Yeah, mine was similar. I took the H4 silicone grommet and threaded it onto the bulb wires and past the bulb grommet. See picture. Then I just tried to fit that silicone grommet into the groove of the headlight seal. It's definitely not a perfect fit or solution.

Honda Civic 10th gen TRS Retro-Quik Kit Install GZoi7Wr

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I've never had a Mini H1 lamp. How do you adjust them? To me, it looks like the bulb placement might be a tad deep. Do you use a ring shim between the housing and the lens?
TRS released the Moto holders for this problem, the H1 bulbs with the stock clip dont align very well... This is why I prefer and went D2s... but yeah either shim the bulb or buy the motoholders

OP
OP
SpeedyPro

SpeedyPro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
TRS released the Moto holders for this problem, the H1 bulbs with the stock clip dont align very well... This is why I prefer and went D2s... but yeah either shim the bulb or buy the motoholders
Ah, that's good to know. I'll grab the motoholders and install those at some point.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like they're easy to put in. Good to know, I've been trying to get my mom to let me do a H1 retro on her new Accord.
Sponsored