2018 Civic Type R Could Debut in April (U.S.) with 335 BHP

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know if the UK edition Type R came with any of the safety features available with the standard editions of the Civic? I'm meaning lane assist warning, Collision Mitigation Braking System, etc.? I'm wondering if the newest Type R would have these features.
The Euro CTR in the GT trim adds the following:

Blind Spot Information (monitoring)
Forward Collision Warning
Lane Departure Warning
Traffic Sign Recognition System
Interior Red Ambient Lighting
Auto Headlights w/ Dusk Sensor
High Beam Support System
Auto Dimming Mirror
Dual Auto Climate Control
Electronic Retractable Mirrors
Parking Sensors
Rain Sensing Auto Wipers
Remote Power Windows
Auto Up/Down Power Windows
Sub-Trunk
Navigation
Red Exterior Accents

Brake Assist is standard on both the base & GT
Sponsored

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
32k sounds about right. It'll have to be less than the RS and STI given that the CTR isn't AWD.

If it ends up being 35-36, why would the average buyer want the CTR over the RS? On paper, the RS appears superior. Honda would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Essentially my point, if it's too expensive, it will have to be dazzling performance wise or else the car just won't have a market.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I will still be buying the CTR at $35-$36 over the RS because it is a Honda, foremost, with superior reliability. I also prefer FWD as it is lighter with better turn-in.
People here are going to be obviously biased towards Honda and would be willing to pay a little extra for the Honda name. Just saying for the average non-biased buyer shopping for a new hot hatch.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
32k sounds about right. It'll have to be less than the RS and STI given that the CTR isn't AWD.

If it ends up being 35-36, why would the average buyer want the CTR over the RS? On paper, the RS appears superior. Honda would be shooting themselves in the foot.
How exactly is the RS superior on paper, we don't even know what the specs for the new CTR are yet? We know they will be at LEAST as good as the current Euro CTR and it beats the RS on the Nurburgring. Again, if all you are worried about is 0-60 times & paper stats, then the RS is for you. I have a strong feeling the CTR will meet or beat the RS in most stats except 0-60 from a dead stop. I guarantee it will dominate the RS & Golf R in terms of reliability. Paper stats don't mean jack if your ride is in the shop or on the side of the road.

And yes I am biased towards Honda over Ford because every single Honda I have owned new was never in the shop for anything other than tires & oil. My Super Charged '00 Si was highly modified & BEAT ON for almost 160,000 miles with no problems except for changing out a few SC belts.

My point is that $35-$36 is not too expensive. How much is reliability worth?

Last edited:

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
How exactly is the RS superior on paper, we don't even know what the specs for the new CTR are yet? We know they will be at LEAST as good as the current Euro CTR and it beats the RS on the Nurburgring. Again, if all you are worried about is 0-60 times & paper stats, then the RS is for you. I have a strong feeling the CTR will meet or beat the RS in all stats except 0-60 from a dead stop. I guarantee it will dominate the RS & Golf R in terms of reliability. Paper stats don't mean jack if your ride is in the shop or on the side of the road.

And yes I am biased towards Honda over Ford because every single Honda I have owned new was never in the shop for anything other than tires & oil. My Super Charged '00 Si was highly modified & BEAT ON for almost 160,000 miles with no problems except for changing out a few SC belts.

My point is that $35-$36 is not too expensive. How much is reliability worth?
We know the CTR won't be AWD and will have less HP than the RS. To the average buyer, the RS is superior. Ring times are marketing. Most buyers aren't going to be taking their cars to the track. The RS is more practical in terms of day to day usage.

Back to my original point. If the CTR is priced the same or higher than the RS, why would the average buyer choose the CTR? Better Ring time and supposedly better reliability?

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
why would the average buyer choose the CTR? Better Ring time and supposedly better reliability?
They won't, and more importantly they probably won't be able to or care to. This car has it's specific target audience, and I mean specific. These will not be sitting on a lot even in a year from now waiting for someone who's bouncing back and forth between it and the RS across the street at the Ford dealer. I'd dare to say Honda doesn't care either as they are well aware this is not a car for the masses. Like John Mendel said, they will produce as many as the market will absorb. So no demand, no cars, no care. If they were worried about taking every hot hatch buyer from other auto makers it would be AWD and toned down to appeal to a much broader audience. The people who want this car pretty much know now and have known since the buzz began prior to the Coupe reveal.

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag
I'm 46 years old... I had a brand new 1989 and 1990 Honda Civic Si Hatchback, I had a nicely modified 1990 Honda CR-X Si that I did an engine swap in. I have wanted a Honda Type R for a very long time.

It almost doesn't matter what the price is, almost. I will be getting one. I will be going against my wife's wishes (25 years married), so that should tell you all something.

We are just at the mercy of American Honda and no one else...

BA...

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'm 46 years old... I had a brand new 1989 and 1990 Honda Civic Si Hatchback, I had a nicely modified 1990 Honda CR-X Si that I did an engine swap in. I have wanted a Honda Type R for a very long time.

It almost doesn't matter what the price is, almost. I will be getting one. I will be going against my wife's wishes (25 years married), so that should tell you all something.

We are just at the mercy of American Honda and no one else...

BA...
Not quite the same age or length of time but similar story. 36 and buying a TypeR instead of a Tesla/Accord/TLX. It's a bit wild but it suits my taste and needs quite well.

Every new week, I hope for new info!

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2019 Accord 2.0 Touring, 2017 Hatch Sport Touring, 2015 Civic SI
Country flag
Not quite the same age or length of time but similar story. 36 and buying a TypeR instead of a Tesla/Accord/TLX. It's a bit wild but it suits my taste and needs quite well.

Every new week, I hope for new info!
Lol there seems to be a lot of that going on. I'm 44 and moved over from Muscle cars 10 years ago. Maybe a minor midlife crisis.