ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
What would really suck about having such a rare Honda is then you run into the whole ITR situation. If the rumors are true about the Si having a 1.5T then the CTR will be an instant theft magnet with the K20C1.

That'd be a straight up nightmare having to drive that car anywhere...no way would I be able to enjoy driving the car at that point.
I don't think CTR will be that big of a theft magnet compared to the initial release of the ITR.

The demand for ITR parts created thieves. Thieves stole parts from ITR to resell because there was a high demand for those ITR parts. Those ITR parts could be fitted to just about any Honda made in the 80s through late 90s. Almost anyone could afford a $2,000 Honda and another $2,000 for an engine swap.

With the upcoming CTR, I'd imagine a lot of those parts can only be swapped into to base 10th gen hatch/sedan/coupe. You can't really buy a cheap 10th gen Civic right now since the car is still too new.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I don't think CTR will be that big of a theft magnet compared to the initial release of the ITR.

The demand for ITR parts created thieves. Thieves stole parts from ITR to resell because there was a high demand for those ITR parts. Those ITR parts could be fitted to just about any Honda made in the 80s through late 90s. Almost anyone could afford a $2,000 Honda and another $2,000 for an engine swap.

With the upcoming CTR, I'd imagine a lot of those parts can only be swapped into to base 10th gen hatch/sedan/coupe. You can't really buy a cheap 10th gen Civic right now since the car is still too new.
Just wait until Hasport starts making swap kits. :lol:

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Just wait until Hasport starts making swap kits. :lol:
That's sorta what I was getting at, especially if Honda decides to use the 1.5T for the Si.

Having the K20C1 exclusively in one vehicle that's probably going to be pretty rare...that just seems like it would have steal me written all over it.

Maybe Honda will start putting the K20C1 (or some other K20 turbo varient) in the Odyssey or Pilot or something. That'd probably take some of the heat off the CTR.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
That's sorta what I was getting at, especially if Honda decides to use the 1.5T for the Si.

Having the K20C1 exclusively in one vehicle that's probably going to be pretty rare...that just seems like it would have steal me written all over it.

Maybe Honda will start putting the K20C1 (or some other K20 turbo varient) in the Odyssey or Pilot or something. That'd probably take some of the heat off the CTR.
Completely agree. And thus, I recommend we all do J swaps just to be on the safe side. :yes:

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
My think is a bit different...
At $32k, many kids won't be able to afford the CTR, but their dads can.
At $32k, many dads will have no problem buying a CTR for their kid(s).
That's the issue...

Imagine this...here you are on the road, and an 18 year old pulls up next to you with a CTR...
There will be many kids driving the CTR, as $32k is absolutely affordable for many dads, and many dads are into CTRs too! :)

There is no way, I repeat NO WAY the Type R will be a teen car by any stretch, the insurance alone will be astronomical, and that's going to be with a clean record! The damn Si is out of reach for most young males with 2 tickets worth of points. Put together the ins premium and payments and they can drive an M3. Now, any intelligent father already knows if he buys his adolescent teen an R he might as well buy a casket to go with it. No, it's not because it's the fastest car on the road, but because we know all to well they will push it until both they and the car are wrecked and that will be much sooner than later.

Yes, you are most definitely going to have those kids that get their way with their parents regardless of money and what common sense dictates, you can all rest assure they will not own them long. If anything they will be the contributors to the modding scene.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
There is no way, I repeat NO WAY the Type R will be a teen car by any stretch, the insurance alone will be astronomical, and that's going to be with a clean record! The damn Si is out of reach for most young males with 2 tickets worth of points. Put together the ins premium and payments and they can drive an M3. Now, any intelligent father already knows if he buys his adolescent teen an R he might as well buy a casket to go with it. No, it's not because it's the fastest car on the road, but because we know all to well they will push it until both they and the car are wrecked and that will be much sooner than later.

Yes, you are most definitely going to have those kids that get their way with their parents regardless of money and what common sense dictates, you can all rest assure they will not own them long. If anything they will be the contributors to the modding scene.
Good point. My 99 Si was $300/month when I was 20.

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I hope those teens with rich parents end up buying their kids Mustangs or something, don't want those spoiled brats buying up all the Type Rs ;)

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag

If the 1.5 makes it into the Si, the K20C1 will most definitely be rare, and theft may very well be an issue. But I don't think it will be anywhere as bad as it was with the Integra R.

At least we may not have to worry about finding the car on blocks every other week. From my understanding the 10th gen Civics and the R do not share the same bolt patterns (thank you Honda) which is a very big deal IMHO. The UK Type R has 5 x 120 vs 5 x 114 on all regular Civics since the 8th.

9g Type R
  • PCD: 5 x 120
  • Stud pitch: M14 x 1.5
  • Width: 8.5J
  • Offset: 60ET
  • Center bore: 64.1CB
  • 19" OEM Cobra wheel part# 42700-TV8-E93
  • Weight 11Kg
  • tyre size: 235/35r19 91W

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
If the 1.5 makes it into the Si, the K20C1 will most definitely be rare, and theft may very well be an issue. But I don't think it will be anywhere as bad as it was with the Integra R.

At least we may not have to worry about finding the car on blocks every other week. From my understanding the 10th gen Civics and the R do not share the same bolt patterns (thank you Honda) which is a very big deal IMHO. The UK Type R has 5 x 120 vs 5 x 114 on all regular Civics since the 8th.
Probably not initially, I'm guessing as time goes on, assuming the CTR stays a limited release type thing and the K20C turbo motor isn't used in anything else they'll start getting knicked.

I would imagine that seat theft will also probably be a fairly common issue as well like it was with the S2000.

Thankfully the wheel issue as you said will be rare, though I'm sure there are idiots out there that might not know the wheel specs are different and will steal them anyways.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
I'm afraid your worse fears may be very possible. Based on whats happening with the Focus RS, some insurance companies will differentiate the Type R and others will consider it as just a Civic. In theory, it should be no more expensive to insure a Type R then, say, a Touring Hatch. The Type R isn't independent from the rest of the Civic line up like the STI is. Speaking of the STI, I need two hands to count the amount of people I know with one... under the age of 25. The Type R, like the other Hatchback trims are 4 doors, front wheel drive, and Turbo 4's. Regarding theft, newer Hondas seem to carry on the reputation of their older counterparts https://www.carfax.com/blog/10-most-stolen-cars-2015/ but they're much less susceptible to being stolen. I mean sure, your car might end up on bricks *mine has*, but whats the point of insurance if you don't use it?

otbevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PMM Civic Type R
Country flag
It really does depend on your insurance provider... My STi is classified as a WRX and when I was looking at a Golf R, they were classified as just standard Golfs (there wasn't even an option for the R). With that being said, having multi-vehicle, being over 26 years old, married, a customer for over 10 years, and with no tickets/accidents... I'm not overly concerned lol
Sponsored