Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
I'm afraid your worse fears may be very possible. Based on whats happening with the Focus RS, some insurance companies will differentiate the Type R and others will consider it as just a Civic. In theory, it should be no more expensive to insure a Type R then, say, a Touring Hatch. The Type R isn't independent from the rest of the Civic line up like the STI is. Speaking of the STI, I need two hands to count the amount of people I know with one... under the age of 25. The Type R, like the other Hatchback trims are 4 doors, front wheel drive, and Turbo 4's. Regarding theft, newer Hondas seem to carry on the reputation of their older counterparts https://www.carfax.com/blog/10-most-stolen-cars-2015/ but they're much less susceptible to being stolen. I mean sure, your car might end up on bricks *mine has*, but whats the point of insurance if you don't use it?
Honestly it makes no difference to me who buys one. I was just stating a fact regarding ins premiums with new cars in general (although I remember the Si in 2000 being significantly higher then an EX) and drivers under the age of 24 for men and 21 for women, I believe those are the ages.

If you look at 09CivicSiBrian comment, he says exactly what I was referring to. "My 99 Si was $300/month when I was 20" put 300 a month ins with an average 400 payment and that's a lot for most people from 17 to 24. I don't know what year cars your friends are driving or their driving records but I'm sure it's not cheap to drive a new STI and be in the young driver age group. Again add a couple speeding tickets/wreck and it gets ridiculous.

As far as the theft, the way I read the page you linked, those are all much older Hondas. I personally haven't heard of any 8th gen Civics/Accords stolen since 05 that didn't have the keys in the ignition. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I haven't heard any personally and I used to hear them almost daily and see them all over the ins auctions. What I have heard and seen are wheels getting stolen from both, especially the Accord Sport. I know a guy who had them stolen from his Sport 4 times in 4 months. There was a point where his local dealership couldn't even get new wheels for him because they were on back order from the insane amount of claims and they lent him wheels from a loaner car.
Sponsored

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
Honestly it makes no difference to me who buys one. I was just stating a fact regarding ins premiums with new cars in general (although I remember the Si in 2000 being significantly higher then an EX) and drivers under the age of 24 for men and 21 for women, I believe those are the ages.

If you look at 09CivicSiBrian comment, he says exactly what I was referring to. "My 99 Si was $300/month when I was 20" put 300 a month ins with an average 400 payment and that's a lot for most people from 17 to 24. I don't know what year cars your friends are driving or their driving records but I'm sure it's not cheap to drive a new STI and be in the young driver age group. Again add a couple speeding tickets/wreck and it gets ridiculous.

As far as the theft, the way I read the page you linked, those are all much older Hondas. I personally haven't heard of any 8th gen Civics/Accords stolen since 05 that didn't have the keys in the ignition. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I haven't heard any personally and I used to hear them almost daily and see them all over the ins auctions. What I have heard and seen are wheels getting stolen from both, especially the Accord Sport. I know a guy who had them stolen from his Sport 4 times in 4 months. There was a point where his local dealership couldn't even get new wheels for him because they were on back order from the insane amount of claims and they lent him wheels from a loaner car.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 / 2018 Type R Civic U.S. Price {filename}
Hottest rims in the tri-state area Lol. It's like a tradition putting on the OEM wheels on the older Hondas. And I agree with you, It's not cheap for them, but everyone contributes to that cost. Ramen for a year. But yea, that link I posted just highlighted that the theft for newer Hondas has gotten way better since the 90s. They have a top ten list towards the bottom for new model years and it's basically all GM cars.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
To add to what's been said, being older helps. My 09 Si has been $53/month since I bought it new and that was with full tort! I bought the Si at 29.

This was one of the reasons I bought a lower model car back in the day- because swaps and upgrades weren't going to penalize me the way an ITR badge would have.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 / 2018 Type R Civic U.S. Price {filename}
Hottest rims in the tri-state area Lol. It's like a tradition putting on the OEM wheels on the older Hondas.
Could you imagine if the Type R wheels were also 5 x 114 vs 5 x 120?! They may still get stolen, but no where near the amount if they were the same bolt pattern as every other modern Accord/Civic.

Last edited:

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
Could you imagine if the Type R wheels were also 5 x 114 vs 5 x 120?! They may still get stolen, but no where near the amount if they were the same bolt pattern as every other modern Accord/Civic.
Yea, they'll still get stolen. 5x120 wheel adapter sales gonna go through the roof