Filmed: 2017 Civic Type R Exhaust Sounds (first production Type R in U.S.)

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
You seriously have the wrong price on this car. Mid $30s not $50. No way the could sell it at that $50K price. That's more than an STI!
Let's assume that the MSRP is about $33,000. Now dealers will most certainly up the price on this car by AT LEAST $5000, which brings it up to $38,000. Now this is BEFORE tax, title and other crap that goes with buying a car. That $38,000 (assuming AT LEAST a mark up of $5k) isn't included with the accessories that dealers like to put on there. Since the CTR is in limited quantity, they will milk as much dollar as they can from this car. At the very least, OTD price, you're looking at a MINIMUM of $40k-ish for this car, MINIMUM. Which is why at that price range, the CTR is no longer a reasonable choice unless you have money to spare and really want the CTR for its name.

This isn't hating on the CTR, I love it actually, its just that its an unreasonable price. 300HP-ish Civic for $40,000++? No thanks. I'm an enthusiast but be realistic.
Sponsored

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag
Let's assume that the MSRP is about $33,000. Now dealers will most certainly up the price on this car by AT LEAST $5000, which brings it up to $38,000. Now this is BEFORE tax, title and other crap that goes with buying a car. That $38,000 (assuming AT LEAST a mark up of $5k) isn't included with the accessories that dealers like to put on there. Since the CTR is in limited quantity, they will milk as much dollar as they can from this car. At the very least, OTD price, you're looking at a MINIMUM of $40k-ish for this car, MINIMUM. Which is why at that price range, the CTR is no longer a reasonable choice unless you have money to spare and really want the CTR for its name.

This isn't hating on the CTR, I love it actually, its just that its an unreasonable price. 300HP-ish Civic for $40,000++? No thanks. I'm an enthusiast but be realistic.
. Well said; the truth. Coincidentally, I made the same comment on a different thread but it was ignored. Peeps think they'll get it below $40k, but "reality" will show itself when MSRP is revealed.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
. Well said; the truth. Coincidentally, I made the same comment on a different thread but it was ignored. Peeps think they'll get it below $40k, but "reality" will show itself when MSRP is revealed.
I, along with many others, have deposits at MSRP or work with dealers who claim to never charge above MSRP. That doesn't mean they won't add on every possible accessory, but at least here they can't/won't tint, LoJack, or do anything besides Simoniz. I expect to get stuck with locking lug nuts but I wouldn't expect too much beyond that and floor mats.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I, along with many others, have deposits at MSRP or work with dealers who claim to never charge above MSRP. That doesn't mean they won't add on every possible accessory, but at least here they can't/won't tint, LoJack, or do anything besides Simoniz. I expect to get stuck with locking lug nuts but I wouldn't expect too much beyond that and floor mats.
Can't you request the dealer not to install those add ons?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not even, they would be happy because installation cost is included in Honda OEM accessories. Less work for them.
Oh man. Here, accessories are priced by Honda but don't include dealer installation or fees. The dealer also has the option to discount the options.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes. With our MDX, I successfully got them to keep the locking lugs. When I got my Si, they were basically like, no, sorry. You're taking locking lugs for $80. Wasn't happy but I ebay'd them quick so meh.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man. Here, accessories are priced by Honda but don't include dealer installation or fees. The dealer also has the option to discount the options.
That's nice, wish it was that way here! Another way they get more money from Canadians because they can't charge ADM.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's nice, wish it was that way here! Another way they get more money from Canadians because they can't charge ADM.
Yeah we have one dealer here, we'll just call them Apple Honda, that shows on their price sheet a set of Dealer Installed safety/security package which includes locking lug nuts, all weather floor mats, and some insurance package that covers you as long as you own the car if the car is stolen. Like in addition to the insurance you get from your provider. Very strange for $595.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Even if I were "forced" to buy mandatory accessories which I don't even want, I wouldn't take them. Or if they're worth anything, I'd tell them not to put them on the car and I'll give them to someone else or sell them.

I also make sure the dealer doesn't stick on pinstripes or dealer name stickers/badges on the paintwork.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Uhhh ya dealer tacky stickers suck, especially when on the paint :cry:

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
Even if I were "forced" to buy mandatory accessories which I don't even want, I wouldn't take them. Or if they're worth anything, I'd tell them not to put them on the car and I'll give them to someone else or sell them.

I also make sure the dealer doesn't stick on pinstripes or dealer name stickers/badges on the paintwork.
Agreed. I ALWAYS tell the dealer to make sure the "finance person" (upsell person) doesn't try to sell me any dealer add-ons when I get there or I'll walk. Here in CA they all try to make you pay for an extra dealer-installed alarm system as if the car doesn't already come with one. Sorry. Nope. I spend all of 2 mins with the finance person initialing all the stuff I'm declining. Easy and quick. We agree on a fair price before I get in my car and head down there and it makes the buying process quick and painless for all parties. They know I'm serious and can count on a good sale and can save their time and energy on the upsell for the next guy that doesn't know any better.

At least our dealers out here don't try to put their names on the cars. I'm not being paid to do their marketing so no way I would accept a car with a dealer name stuck on the back of it. I'm dumbfounded that this is so prevalent in other states... and that so many people just accept it as normal. I'm buying a Honda, not a "Jimmy Whathisuglyface Honda". They just put it on the license plate frame here and that is the first thing that goes in the trash. If I got a CTR with a dealer name stuck on it, I'd be pissed. Again, that's one of those things that should be clarified before you buy it and walk if they don't do as promised. No car is worth your pride. You're the one buying, you're supposed to be treated well, not manipulated into being their b^tch.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed. I ALWAYS tell the dealer to make sure the "finance person" (upsell person) doesn't try to sell me any dealer add-ons when I get there or I'll walk.
not to be the negative one here but walking in with that attitude on this car won't scare the dealer one bit... they would gladly let you walk on that car for chance to sell some products in finance to the next person on the list...

personally I am taking the tire protection package... since I work at a dealership with a body shop connected to it, sometimes there are misc screws and other bits on the garage floor... I've been lucky so far but I wouldn't risk being "screwed" (no pun intended lol)...

At least our dealers out here don't try to put their names on the cars. I'm not being paid to do their marketing so no way I would accept a car with a dealer name stuck on the back of it. I'm dumbfounded that this is so prevalent in other states... and that so many people just accept it as normal. I'm buying a Honda, not a "Jimmy Whathisuglyface Honda". They just put it on the license plate frame here and that is the first thing that goes in the trash. If I got a CTR with a dealer name stuck on it, I'd be pissed. Again, that's one of those things that should be clarified before you buy it and walk if they don't do as promised. No car is worth your pride. You're the one buying, you're supposed to be treated well, not manipulated into being their b^tch.
You'd be surprised how many people don't think like us with dealer badging lol... most people don't care that it's there and don't even ask to have it removed... granted, some people do, but they are the minority in that group...
Sponsored