Opinions for a new head unit.

foehammerone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
There's another thread on here where a guy got a similar head unit and had good results with it. From what I can tell looks like it's an android tablet with the radio tuner/amp built and has plug ins for all the oem stuff like lane watch and steering wheel controls. I checked on youtube and some guy got this one or something similar and had to do a few tweeks within the software to get it the extra stuff like lane watch and backup cam working correctly. Overall looks like a pretty good deal if you're ok with tinkering with the settings. I am thinking about getting one eventually.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's not $300, that's closer to $400. I have the top of the line version and like it so far. You need to get the adapter to have AA or AC work on it though. Still waiting for my adapter.
Well, $350 and I like having my ac dials. I won't be getting rid of the ac unit. The Phoenix is a complete plug and play. The Phoenix isn't those Tesla style head units. Plus, this is just a temp fix to get rid of the annoying oem head unit.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, $350 and I like having my ac dials. I won't be getting rid of the ac unit. The Phoenix is a complete plug and play. The Phoenix isn't those Tesla style head units. Plus, this is just a temp fix to get rid of the annoying oem head unit.
The Phoenix has the option of the Tesla style or the large screen. Stay away from the Tesla. Someone already tried one and it was buggy as hell. I plugged mine in and didn't even have to do any setting changes to get it to work with the steering wheel controls.

akrachanko

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.krachanko.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT
Country flag
That's not $300, that's closer to $400. I have the top of the line version and like it so far. You need to get the adapter to have AA or AC work on it though. Still waiting for my adapter.
Shank, which civic do you have? I was interested in changing out the stock HU on my 2017 EX-T, but I fear for the climate control, since it's all done through the HU on the EX-T. Also, when you say you have the top-of-the-line one, does that mean you have the Phoenix, or another model? Just curious, thanks!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They are all the Phoenix on that website, they are just different options of which you want. I have the 4GB RAM 32 GB storage large screen. Plug and play and should also work with your climate controls but you'd have to ask someone who has done it on the EX/ST trim. I have a Sport hatch.

akrachanko

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.krachanko.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT
Country flag
They are all the Phoenix on that website, they are just different options of which you want. I have the 4GB RAM 32 GB storage large screen. Plug and play and should also work with your climate controls but you'd have to ask someone who has done it on the EX/ST trim. I have a Sport hatch.
Phoenix has a video on their site of it working properly, but I fear that it might not truly be plug-and-play. I've fought enough of these battles on prior cars, and I'm not ready to start another, ya know?

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Phoenix has a video on their site of it working properly, but I fear that it might not truly be plug-and-play. I've fought enough of these battles on prior cars, and I'm not ready to start another, ya know?
Yeah they do have a video showing the head unit working with a higher trim (EX or above). However most of the individuals that have this unit are trying to upgrade out of the boring LX / Sport head unit, so there's not much information on compatibility outside of those trims.

I can tell you that the head unit definitely has the blue climate control screen because I can manually access it in the settings. I am pretty sure that in the Phoenix video on their website they show it automatically coming up when you press the "climate" button. This isn't available on my coupe since it's an LX so I can't tell you for sure if it works. Given that everything else has been "plug and play" with this unit, I would imagine that it was thought of in the design. There is an extra cable that comes with the HU, and several plugs that are not used by my LX. So I would assume that these are in place for higher trims.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As per Phoenix, they told me the Tesla-style radio will get a processor upgrade and come with a newer OS than the current available unit. I have the CTR and the HU is the only thing I really cant stand about it lol... I like their 9" model too and might go that route... I'm also not in a rush to change anything just yet!

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Thanks very much for this thread. Looking to upgrade the HU in my Civic Si coupe. The website states that it's all plug and play and it retains everything like the backup camera, LaneWatch, etc. But the fine print states that it doesn't support AA/ACP, nor does it have SiriusXM. I'll wait until those are available.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No Sirius and may never since it's not really a radio for the states. You can get AA/CP with the dongle on their website.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
No Sirius and may never since it's not really a radio for the states. You can get AA/CP with the dongle on their website.
Yeah I'm cool with the dongle for AA; I'd rather use that than mess with MirrorCast. But SiriusXM is a deal-breaker for me. I use that religiously; much more than BT streaming. I know there's a separate module (SiriusXM Commander Touch) that I didn't even know existed, but space is at an absolute premium in the coupe and I'd rather not have anything external if I can help it.

Perhaps I'll email them and ask them if they have any plans to add satellite radio to t he head unit.
Sponsored