Opinions for a new head unit.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone interested in talking about Phoenix Automotive stuff... They have, what appears to be new, forum... They sent me the link... If you guys wanna join, here it is https://goo.gl/Chjsm9
Sponsored

Laz1287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Last edited:

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't recommend any of those " Made in China " radios. They're cheap for a reason. Every client I've ever installed one for eventually regretted it. I'd suggest a Pioneer NEX model or a Kenwood DNX, DMX, or DDX headunit.

Some examples:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/MVH-2300NEX

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/dmx7705s/
both very ugly options... I think people looking at these "chinese options" are looking for a factory look which Pioneer or whoever, simply won't make for our cars... They make good HU's but always look like they were added to the car after and not like they came with it... At least that's how I feel about those HU's...

I'll sacrifice some things to have it look factory as long as its better than factory... I'd never replace it with something that doesn't look factory!

Laz1287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
both very ugly options... I think people looking at these "chinese options" are looking for a factory look which Pioneer or whoever, simply won't make for our cars... They make good HU's but always look like they were added to the car after and not like they came with it... At least that's how I feel about those HU's...

I'll sacrifice some things to have it look factory as long as its better than factory... I'd never replace it with something that doesn't look factory!
Wow, you are the first person to every say that either of those is ugly. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess. But after installing several hundred of those and similar units, I can honestly say no one has ever called it ugly, lol.

Last edited:

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, you are the first person to every say that either of those is ugly. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess. But after installing several hundred of those and similar units, I cana honestly say no one has ever called it ugly, lol.
ugly in the sense that it is clearly aftermarket... not ugly units on their own... if I had a 1992 Civic I was installing it in lol... new cars IMHO should look factory with aftermarket HU's...

WolfTrax17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I wouldn't recommend any of those " Made in China " radios. They're cheap for a reason. Every client I've ever installed one for eventually regretted it. I'd suggest a Pioneer NEX model or a Kenwood DNX, DMX, or DDX headunit.

Some examples:

I plan to hold onto my factory audio system as a backup just in case the "Chinese" one breaks. With that being said I have heard nothing but positive reviews/feedback from people that have bought them so I'm not worried

Honestly for $300 I'm willing to take the chance on a system that looks factory and not aftermarket

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I plan to hold onto my factory audio system as a backup just in case the "Chinese" one breaks. With that being said I have heard nothing but positive reviews/feedback from people that have bought them so I'm not worried

Honestly for $300 I'm willing to take the chance on a system that looks factory and not aftermarket
Exactly... And with Pioneer etc costing $500+ for a decent system that doesn't look factory... I'd rather buy two of these Chinese HUs and have one break on me and replace it with another rather than paying for Pioneer that doesn't match my interior at all...

WolfTrax17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Exactly... And with Pioneer etc costing $500+ for a decent system that doesn't look factory... I'd rather buy two of these Chinese HUs and have one break on me and replace it with another rather than paying for Pioneer that doesn't match my interior at all...
He's probably a car audio installer for a company that's contracted with Kenwood & Pioneer so it's his job to promote the products. I do like buying and supporting American products but not for double the price and the glaring aftermarket look

Zerkom122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
He's probably a car audio installer for a company that's contracted with Kenwood & Pioneer so it's his job to promote the products. I do like buying and supporting American products but not for double the price and the glaring aftermarket look
Those are Japanese companies not American...

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag

Some examples:

Nice to hear from an installer who's done a good number of these!

My issue is Kenwood or Pioneer - neither make one that will work in my EX-L with Navi hatchback...!

So, I'm 'stuck' with the Chinese...

Laz1287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I am an MECP certified installer. And yes I do work for a company that carries those products. However, I do NOT get paid per sale. I get paid by the hour regardless of what I am installing. My opinion stems from my experience installing car audio, security and leather products for 20+ years. Whenever a client shows up for an appointment with one of these radios, I warn them ahead of time. If they choose to install it anyway, I do so. And yes, the radios usually look much better than most brand name units once installed. The issues come into play a year or two ( or sometimes less than a year ) down the road when the radio starts giving the client issues. The most common problems I've encountered are usually cosmetic ( touch screen losing touch sensitivity, buttons falling off, etc.... ), but more often then I'd care to count the clients had complaints with the software. For example, GPS updates, if you purchase a unit with onboard GPS getting an updated map of the US is near impossible. Another complain that I've dealt with stems from units that claim to pick up local TV. These units aren't manufactured to pick up our local HDTV frequencies, they can usually only pick up frequencies seen and used in Asia. Yet another complaint I've dealt with involves units that come with built in steering wheel control interfaces. They also rarely work 100%, and if you're not aware of how your OEM steering wheel controls are wired or how they communicate, then you'll have an even harder time getting them work. Lastly there's the sound quality that these units provide. Not only do these Asian radios not give you the same amount of control of your audio system that the American equivalent does, but they use significantly cheaper sound processors. This can of course be offset by purchasing a separate amp coupled with an external sound processor, but Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine radios have this included already.

There's an old Cuban saying," Lo barato siempre sale caro ". Basically, you get what you pay for. And this holds true here. If you're on a budget and want to get one of those radios due to the cost, go for it! But don't expect the same overall quality or reliability that you'd find in something that's been manufactured to higher standards like Kenwood, Pioneer, or Alpine products. Same applies to the oem look, if that's your thing, then by all means, buy it. It's all about perspective, and in mine those radios just aren't worth the effort.

Last edited:

Laz1287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice to hear from an installer who's done a good number of these!

My issue is Kenwood or Pioneer - neither make one that will work in my EX-L with Navi hatchback...!

So, I'm 'stuck' with the Chinese...
May I ask what reasons you were given, that prevented an aftermarket radio from being installed in your vehicle?

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're on a budget and want to get one of those radios due to the cost, go for it! But don't expect the same overall quality or reliability that you'd find in something that's been manufactured to higher standards like Kenwood, Pioneer, or Alpine products. Same applies to the oem look, if that's your thing, then by all means, buy it. It's all about perspective, and in mine those radios just aren't worth the effort.
I think most people looking at them are looking at sort of a bang for buck perspective...

As for look, I personally would go with Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood/etc if they made one look like OEM... In fact, I'd prefer it even if it was double the price because of the reliability... Fact is, they don't look as good... So I wouldn't even consider them...

May I ask what reasons you were given, that prevented an aftermarket radio from being installed in your vehicle?
Probably no kits to install the radio in place of the factory setup...

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag

Some examples:

I'm sour on Kenwood after my experience with the Kenwood HU for my 2003 Wrangler. Awful radio and even more awful customer service. Thank goodness for the good, kind folks at Crutchfield for taking care of me and letting me swap it for something different.

That being said, the Pioneer unit looks fine to me. I don't mind the "non-factory look" as long as it fits in the space properly. So if you have familiarity with the Pioneer, I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind:
  1. How is the performance of the unit? When I say "performance" I mean as far as swiping, opening/switching apps, etc.? For the money, I expect it to be snappy and not laggy like the factory HU.
  2. Will this unit retain all of the steering wheel functions, such as volume control, hands-free calling, etc.?
  3. Will this unit display all of the menus on how to manage the car (such as the car preferences), as well as the car performance data (such as fuel economy)?
  4. Can the stock shark-fin antenna be retained for SiriusXM? I understand that a separate unit is required for sat radio functionality, but would like to retain the factory antenna if possible.

Thanks in advance!

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm sour on Kenwood after my experience with the Kenwood HU for my 2003 Wrangler. Awful radio and even more awful customer service. Thank goodness for the good, kind folks at Crutchfield for taking care of me and letting me swap it for something different.

That being said, the Pioneer unit looks fine to me. I don't mind the "non-factory look" as long as it fits in the space properly. So if you have familiarity with the Pioneer, I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind:
  1. How is the performance of the unit? When I say "performance" I mean as far as swiping, opening/switching apps, etc.? For the money, I expect it to be snappy and not laggy like the factory HU.
  2. Will this unit retain all of the steering wheel functions, such as volume control, hands-free calling, etc.?
  3. Will this unit display all of the menus on how to manage the car (such as the car preferences), as well as the car performance data (such as fuel economy)?
  4. Can the stock shark-fin antenna be retained for SiriusXM? I understand that a separate unit is required for sat radio functionality, but would like to retain the factory antenna if possible.

Thanks in advance!
I would like to know this as well
Sponsored