Your android auto / carplay experience thus far? (been good for me - so far)

myriad46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag

DontDrinknDerive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
It's a full messaging client. Like hangouts.
So just the messages and not the pictures? Okay. I guess Skype has to be open because my messages don't pop up.

peteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
The experience of AA really depends on your Android phone. Your best bet is to go with a Nexus phone for the least and fast-solving compatibility issues.
My experience with AA really s**ks. I am using LG G4, which has problems working with AA, confirmed by Google. https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6395843?hl=en However, LG does not have a word on this. And I don't know when I can expect a fix. I'm considering switching to iPhone, but not sure how the Carplay experience is. In terms of Carplay, how is the difference between 5 and 6S? Has anyone compared this before?

burns_erin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/Sensing
Country flag
The experience of AA really depends on your Android phone. Your best bet is to go with a Nexus phone for the least and fast-solving compatibility issues.
My experience with AA really s**ks. I am using LG G4, which has problems working with AA, confirmed by Google. https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6395843?hl=en However, LG does not have a word on this. And I don't know when I can expect a fix. I'm considering switching to iPhone, but not sure how the Carplay experience is. In terms of Carplay, how is the difference between 5 and 6S? Has anyone compared this before?
I find Motorola phones work well with Android Auto.

Chris G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2010 Toyota Prius
I have had my 2016 Civic for 10 days now and am very happy with the Android Auto experience. I am using a Motorola Droid Turbo to connect. It takes about 10 seconds for Android auto to come up when I plug in my phone. For most short trips around town I just keep the phone in pocket and use the bluetooth hands free buttons on the steering wheel if a call comes in. Out on the road or if I need maps/directions I plug in the phone. The car supports high speed charging on the phone when connected. I like that there is a quick button for muting the speaking of driving directions. Sometimes it's nice to have the voice and sometimes I don't want it. It's easy to change right on the screen.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
About a month in with my new S7 Edge, everything has been great...much snappier to connect, load, and transition b/w screens vs. my HTC One M8.

Love the interface too, much better than Honda's.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
My Galaxy Note 4 works fine with Android Auto.

kcwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I like it, but I feel it could be better in a few ways.
The good:
  • 7" touchscreen for the interface instead of the 5ish of the phone.
  • Audio source is not strictly limited to the phone when using navigation.
The bad:
  • UI does not allow the full range of functionality with Google Play Music, nor does it allow for using more than a preset number of apps (i.e. no Waze).
I have a 2017 EX-L (coming from a 2005 Accord EX-L - so no technology in my previous car unless you consider a 6 CD player "hi-tech") :) That said, I am comfortable with Android apps for music, navigation, and phone/contacts. My driving is a combination of short in town trips (<20 min) and longer 100-200 mile RT day trips. On short trips, I listen to the radio and connect the phone via BT (no AA).

I try to use AA on longer trips, but have to agree with somarilnos. I'm not very happy with the minimalist Android Auto version of the Google Play Music app. Of course, I don't use native GPM either (prefer Rocket Player app for music.). My music is a combination of ripped CDs plus some downloaded albums (and some Hardcore History podcasts). Emphasis on ALBUMS! I don't stream. What can I say -- I'm old school. On long trips, I generally pick an album and listen beginning to end (eg, like putting a CD in the player.) This is easy to do with Rocket Player, and not too hard with native Google Play Music. Doing this on AA GPM app is maddeningly difficult (or impossible).

I can't figure the rhyme or reason to what is displayed in the AA GPM GUI. I see many individual songs or podcasts displayed, but not folders/albums? It appears I have to create a playlist for each album, then do "something" to get AA GPM to recognize it. Right now I'm stuck cycling between 2 favorite albums that somehow have a playlist. I love the artist, but he's getting kinda old. LOL :)

Is my conclusion correct? I HAVE to create playlists for each album? If so, I'm kinda bummed, b/c I'm NOT excited about the time it will take to organize music into playlists for AA GPM (when it was already organized).
Are there any other AA music apps I can use in lieu of GPM to solve this problem?

Any tips, tricks, or hints are appreciated. Thanks.

DontDrinknDerive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I have a 2017 EX-L (coming from a 2005 Accord EX-L - so no technology in my previous car unless you consider a 6 CD player "hi-tech") :) That said, I am comfortable with Android apps for music, navigation, and phone/contacts. My driving is a combination of short in town trips (<20 min) and longer 100-200 mile RT day trips. On short trips, I listen to the radio and connect the phone via BT (no AA).

I try to use AA on longer trips, but have to agree with somarilnos. I'm not very happy with the minimalist Android Auto version of the Google Play Music app. Of course, I don't use native GPM either (prefer Rocket Player app for music.). My music is a combination of ripped CDs plus some downloaded albums (and some Hardcore History podcasts). Emphasis on ALBUMS! I don't stream. What can I say -- I'm old school. On long trips, I generally pick an album and listen beginning to end (eg, like putting a CD in the player.) This is easy to do with Rocket Player, and not too hard with native Google Play Music. Doing this on AA GPM app is maddeningly difficult (or impossible).

I can't figure the rhyme or reason to what is displayed in the AA GPM GUI. I see many individual songs or podcasts displayed, but not folders/albums? It appears I have to create a playlist for each album, then do "something" to get AA GPM to recognize it. Right now I'm stuck cycling between 2 favorite albums that somehow have a playlist. I love the artist, but he's getting kinda old. LOL :)

Is my conclusion correct? I HAVE to create playlists for each album? If so, I'm kinda bummed, b/c I'm NOT excited about the time it will take to organize music into playlists for AA GPM (when it was already organized).
Are there any other AA music apps I can use in lieu of GPM to solve this problem?

Any tips, tricks, or hints are appreciated. Thanks.
I usually hit the voice command button then say "Play [insert name] album/artist/song". It usually does a good job recognizing what I am looking for.

When I know I'm going to want to listen to a certain album, I get it on my recent activity so that it's easy to find once I'm in AA.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I was referring to the turn by turn on the Driver Information Interface (only available with Navi). It's a lot easier to look at when driving than it is to look at the touchscreen.
It's not a big deal but it would have been nice to be able to glance down instead of down and to the right.
I was hoping CarPlay would show up in the instrument cluster, too. Kind of disappointed that it doesn't, but then again, when I use the built-in Garmin and its turn-by-turn display, I wonder if I'm staring at the screens too much to be a safe driver.

I gave up on apple's own Podcast app a long time ago well before it underwent a bunch of updates. Is anyone using the builtin podcast app? Does it work well on carplay?
I've only been using Apple's Podcasts app, and it's been fine for me. I have another one called Overcast but never fired it up in the car (I got it specifically to try using it on my Apple Watch).

Where CarPlay wins for me is its much slicker, easier interface than what Honda programmed into the head unit. I can't believe what a mess the OEM UI is.

ALombardi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L, 2010 Mustang Convertible
Country flag
My CarPlay / BT for iOS is now dead.

I've reset the phone, started from new. Changed cables. Everything I could do.

At this point I'm unsure if it's the phone or the car. Tested with another iPhone 7 Plus running 10.3.2, nothing.
Sponsored