Your android auto / carplay experience thus far? (been good for me - so far)

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Well I've been playing with my civic for about a week (just under) straight through and I was a bit worried about how the experience would be given the feedback on the forum so far.

So far the infotainment system has been pretty snappy. Not immediate, but the UI responds within a second or so of a press. I plug my phone into the USB 1.5A and it takes about 10-20 seconds (maybe 1 minute max) for the Android Auto to kick activate on the infotainment screen.

I've been using Google Music, Spotify, and Google Maps pretty religiously and so far no issues. The only thing that's annoying with the music apps is how they "water down" the UI for the sake of promoting safety (e.g. you can't view your full playlist because they don't want you scrolling through dozens of songs while driving). The Spotify sound is way superior to the Google Music, which has prompted me to try out their 3 month subscription at 99 cents per month ($9.99 afterward).

For Google maps, I find it annoying that there's no way I can see the complete text of the route details I'm taking to get an idea of how I'm heading somewhere. Also love how Google maps even displays the next action on the driver's dash area.

One quirky thing I've observed is that the left/right arrow on the wheel occasionally doesn't work (not responsive), so I have to touch the screen to go to the next song. It happens maybe 1 out of 5 times.

Can anyone else share what their experience has been like so far and what phone they're using?

Overall, I'm quite pleased with my experience and very happy with the infotainment system. I've had no issues with the volume control or using the HVAC. I actually find it very intuitive. To me, it's very encouraging as an early adopter that I'm satisfied so far because you know Google's gonna work hard and there's plenty of room for growth.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 from Verizon if that matters.
Sponsored

mcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura CSX, Honda Civic Touring
I almost have the same experience as you. I use Apple CarPlay and it has been pretty smooth except for a few times the well known "no audio" issue came on, unplugging my iphone then plugging it back in solved this issue though. I use the onboard NAVI, and when it works 90% of the time, it works really well. The other 10%, is like searching for a satellite signal and does that for 5-15 mins which gets annoying. Other that those 2 issues, I am good! :)

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
My no audio issue seems to have gone away. I do have audio skipping when using android Auto, pandora or google music. I'm expecting a honda software update.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When we first got the car we had the first gen Moto X (2013). They were running lollipop and Android Auto did work but it was a bit slow and laggy. For Black Friday we upgraded to the Nexus 6 running Marshmallow and now Android Auto is very smooth and responsive. The phone seems to really make a difference.

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Ahh...that's good to know. I will be getting a new smartphone in late Feb/Early March. Hopefully that will fix the issue. Hopefully the Samsungs/LGs work with Android Auto!

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex 2012 Odyssey Lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After replacing old my usb cable with a new one.Its been perfect with a nexus 6.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After replacing old my usb cable with a new one.Its been perfect with a nexus 6.
Yeah, I used to think a USB cable was just a USB cable. I'm finding lately that charging rates and data can be effected quite a bit by the quality of the cable. I stopped using the retractable ones despite the convenience. Now I just order 20awg USB cables.

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
Ahh...that's good to know. I will be getting a new smartphone in late Feb/Early March. Hopefully that will fix the issue. Hopefully the Samsungs/LGs work with Android Auto![/QUOTE

I have the Samsung Note 5 and it works great with everything!

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Touring Android Auto user here with a Nexus 5X... my experience has been great so far. Once it has started up, the interface is fast and responsive, faster than the Honda infotainment interface. I love love love being able to use the voice command button on the steering wheel to navigate, make phone calls, dictate text messages, and actually have the system understand me (unlike the Honda voice recognition). I mostly use Google Maps, Google Play Music, and Slacker Radio.

A couple of pleasant "discoveries":
  • You can use other audio sources (like FM radio) while inside Android Auto. I had always assumed AA would be totally separate from the rest of the infotainment and I would be limited to AA music apps while navigating with Google Maps. Glad to see I was wrong.
  • Google Maps navigation is integrated with the speedometer information screen.
Of course there are a couple quirks:
  • Sometimes (maybe 1 in 5 times) Android Auto fails to start up on my phone after I connect the USB cable on the phone end. A quick unplug-replug of the cable on the car end fixes this.
  • If your phone service is Google Project Fi, the Google Maps display will go blank for a second every time your phone switches from T-Mobile to Sprint or vice-versa. It's distracting and I thought something was wrong with the infotainment system until I figured out what was going on.

OP
OP

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just noticed today that after signalling right and the right turn camera turned on, it would not turn back off and revert to where it was before. The camera was basically stuck on. Kind of annoying but not a big issue.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just noticed today that after signalling right and the right turn camera turned on, it would not turn back off and revert to where it was before. The camera was basically stuck on. Kind of annoying but not a big issue.
Did you try pressing the button on the end of the turning indicator?

OP
OP

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Did you try pressing the button on the end of the turning indicator?
I didn't realize there's a button there, but I'll try it out next time. To resolve the issue, I just had to press the home/menu button on the infotainment and just take myself back to android auto.

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
A couple of pleasant "discoveries":
  • You can use other audio sources (like FM radio) while inside Android Auto. I had always assumed AA would be totally separate from the rest of the infotainment and I would be limited to AA music apps while navigating with Google Maps. Glad to see I was wrong.
  • Google Maps navigation is integrated with the speedometer information screen.
Of course there are a couple quirks:
  • Sometimes (maybe 1 in 5 times) Android Auto fails to start up on my phone after I connect the USB cable on the phone end. A quick unplug-replug of the cable on the car end fixes this.
  • If your phone service is Google Project Fi, the Google Maps display will go blank for a second every time your phone switches from T-Mobile to Sprint or vice-versa. It's distracting and I thought something was wrong with the infotainment system until I figured out what was going on.
Caveat: The turn by turn navigation on the Driver Information Interface is only if you have Navigation like on the Touring.

When you have the problem where Android Auto doesn't start up, when are you plugging in your phone? I've seen that if you plug it in as the head unit is starting up that it sometimes doesn't get recognized. Plugging it in a few seconds later seems to work.

Matt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I'm super jealous that Android Auto gets the turn by turn guidance in the driver information interface. I'm not seeing this in CarPlay unless I'm missing something.
Sponsored