Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
Interesting read if you have time. In short, consumers are putting more blame on the automakers (Honda) rather than their smartphones. The long term solution may result in automakers abandoning Carplay and Android Auto in favor of a more universal UI (Android).

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rVDlGMGk2MkxaUDlRVkNyV0FnYUJ0TXA0MUNHZWlzPSJ9
Thanks design. Very good information. Unfortunately a hand full of people here will continue to ignore it and place all blame or frustration on OEM. There are definite issues that had been reported. But to lump all complaints into the design ultimately hurts Honda and the consumer. There is a reason manufacturers ( even beyond Honda) are pulling there commitment to smart integration. Screaming in every other post about hu ram won't get a upgrade. It will result in the company weighing its options. And I fore one want CarPlay to stay. And in the mean time the individuals with valid warranty complaints get overlooked because there 1% failure rate is pushed back on the priority list over 15% of consumers complaining about a device not being recognized after apple udates it.

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I wonder how many people are so tech illiterate that they fail to understand how the whole thing works. When their Apple maps lags they may think it is the head unit, unaware that it is all being rendered on their phone. When the interface stutters they think its their car, when the phone is having trouble rendering two screens.
As for me, I definitely want Android auto to stay as well. Its the only way that head units will get constant upgrades and new apps.

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder how many people are so tech illiterate that they fail to understand how the whole thing works. When their Apple maps lags they may think it is the head unit, unaware that it is all being rendered on their phone. When the interface stutters they think its their car, when the phone is having trouble rendering two screens.
As for me, I definitely want Android auto to stay as well. Its the only way that head units will get constant upgrades and new apps.
Great points to bring up. But I worry more about the few individuals that choose to complain vs listening to reason. I love my car and I love forums. But sometimes it feels like I'm communicating with politicians. We fact check all day long. But it's the louder voice that tends to be heard. I just did a quick google on manufacturers abandoning CarPlay. There is post from 2025 BMW that eerily reflects all that was happening here. The result was BMW dropping CarPlay. My guess is enough backlash caused them to rethink as they are now scheduled for 2017. Then I saw another post. Toyota just dropped both CarPlay and android auto. I then went to apples site and saw that the pilot has been removed along with the odyssey. The pilot was scheduled for 2016 then pushed to 2017. Now I don't see it at all.
https://michaelkummer.com/2015/09/30/is-bmw-dropping-support-for-carplay/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.macr...artdevicelink-over-carplay/amp/?client=safari

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
Well this really sucks. Android auto was what I asked for when I walked into the dealership. Its the reason I first looked at the Cruze and then I went to the Civic when I saw how much better it is. I wouldn't of got it if I didn't have Android auto. Being able to ask Google things like "Whats the circumference of the earth? Whats 425 * 826? Whats the capitol of Kentucky? Define watts. And then I asked How to calculate watts? (These all work). Manufactures will never be able to implement that. We get constant updates for our navigation with traffic updates and an endless variety of apps.

A few tech illiterate loud mouths are ruining it for the vast majority of people that use it whenever we get in our cars and have no issue with it.

If you don't like it, don't use it. The car still has like 8 other inputs for music.

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does carplay or android auto work via bluetooth and without plugging in?
I believe CarPlay is in development to work over Bluetooth. At the moment it does not support video mirroring. I think Bluetooth with apple is called hands free. I don't have experience with android auto.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think Apple is working on a WiFi option similar to Miracast. It's in the developer menu as an option to test (though no one seems to be able to enable it). On Android, the technology works in parallel with Bluetooth. A user can conceivably use a Miracast dongle to mirror the phone's screen while using Bluetooth to replicate touch/swipe commands. Works very well with similar standards like AppRadio's.

The problem has and always will be battery life.

Last edited:

HappyNem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord EX (no sensing)
Hello everyone,
I have a 2016 Accord, I have an Iphone 6s plus and a S6 Edge plus. When I got the car the radio worked wonderful with both phones and I thought it was the best thing ever, in fact it was one of the major factors over buying a Camry. Now not even a year later, both phones work so bad when connected to the head unit at all I don't even try. I went to dealer and they said it was the phones and not the car, and Honda had no plans on updating the software to make the phones continue to work.

Short story is, if I Bluetooth OR android/apple play the phones they will do Nav, play music, and read texts... but if I get a call or try to call out, I can't hear the person though the speakers, but they can hear me, so I have to transfer the call to the phone... THEN I cannot control the Volume of the radio or change the stations. I have to turn the car off 100% and back on to get the radio to respond. Just to be clear, if any call comes in while its connected... radio stops responding.

There are some other annoying things with the phone integration and playing music that I don't understand, but nothing that is a deal breaker.

Overall I really do LOVE my Accord and the ONLY thing I actually dislike on the whole car is the design of the head unit, I swear they didn't try to use it before they put it into production, or the budget in that department was limited... this comment has nothing to do with the broken phone issue.

HappyNem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord EX (no sensing)
I believe CarPlay is in development to work over Bluetooth. At the moment it does not support video mirroring. I think Bluetooth with apple is called hands free. I don't have experience with android auto.
In my 2016 accord, both phones NEED to be plugged in via cable in a specific plug in the car for car play and apple play to work. They work like any other phone would if connected to bluetooth... minus my broken radio issue I've posted above.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silver EX-T Coupe
((hi all ....Great forum))

THE POINT:

The bottom line is that we buy these cars with expectation that we hop in, connect, push button, drive away, non-problematically...period.
For me, it is having an inconsistency factor in my brand new car,...and when I want to show someone else my new car, in the back of my mind I am thinking "I don't really know if it this going to work" ...

I do have many OTHER options for music, but did not get NAV as I thought I could count on the CarPlay app, etc. ... I have had my phone not recognized and therefor it did not charge and I ended up with dead phone batt. (annoying)
Candidly, I find the CarPlay integration very un-Honda like...

NOW THEN,
COUNTERPOINT:

My last trip : 48.8 mpg
- no eco button
- I was actively hyper-miling with the cruise control, all in D (Wo-oot!)

A couple trips before that, in S , getting down on it(cause its cool to watch the turbo gauge), going uphill, into the wind, dragging a old boot with a fat mouse and 2 frogs in it...
- 29 mpg!!!

(AH AH A H A HAH A HA H.... . . . . tito, get me a tissue...)
when I get MPG like that I feel like I am getting one over on the man

I really enjoy the drive and the sense of control and power the turbo/CVT give...the coupe is quick, and can be a rocket powered roller skate, but can also but very timid, and either way is easy as all to drive, ...even sitting low in the coupe, I can see great-, my heated cloth seats are the bomb, and they are instant on- the car just slips down the road, ... I love the Luna silver & style lines and have bought a case of microfine towels and glove box size sprayway and spend my lunch hour buffing glass...smelling that smell of sprayway, (what ever they put in that stuff...:) listening to music on a variety of other inputs, smiling...

- Coupe has a real backseat and a real trunk
- The coupe lets me say my favorite words ..." ill meet you there..."
- fill up for less than $30

I have read about the inside rattles ...thus far, I do not have that, .... I have read about the rough start, experienced nothing like that - (knock wood), pulsing trans? not here...
FYI: My build was in Sept. 2016 from Canada. , just passed 1k miles

So:
CarPlay- only issue, thus far...& (*dammit*) they meant well, but the best of intentions does not always overcome technical shortcomings, 0r mandatory release dates...but the fact that this has now been around for some time and still the issues remain (inconsistent at best),...speaks to something larger,...(read: somehow,...no Money to be made by continuing investment)

Maybe the answer will come from some forum member that also happens to be a wiz at .BSD programing &/or understands hardware IX/IU at some level that is beyond the ken of us mere mortals... I know you are out there,...or maybe you have not bought your Civic (Honda?) yet...
but you will... Obi CiVic Kenobi .... We need your help-

Score:

-.1 cause nothing is perfect
-.1 for CarPlay inconsistency

Conclusion:
Highly recommend, & would be annoyed by CarPlay again

Carry on- and enjoy todays opportunity to drive your Civic
:)

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my 2016 accord, both phones NEED to be plugged in via cable in a specific plug in the car for car play and apple play to work. They work like any other phone would if connected to bluetooth... minus my broken radio issue I've posted above.
You are correct that we need to have USB to use CarPlay. What I was meaning is that apple stated CarPlay was suppose to go wireless over Bluetooth or wifi with iOS 10. Along with many other features. Most of which are available yet. My guess is hardware is required making a lot of these not backward compatible.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/apple-cuts-the-cord-on-carplay/
Sponsored