OP
OP

ECCST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
Just checking to see if you still like your Sport Touring.... Any problems ?
Would you make the same choice again from today's knowledge of ownership ?
Or do you wish you would have gone in a different direction ?
What do you like / dislike about the Sport Touring Hatch ?
Do you run regular 87 octane ? What are your average MPG for non spirited driving ?
Love this car. 12,000 miles in 5 months - I drive a lot of highway miles. It’s a perfect balance of a “touring car” with firmness of handling, adequate power for street driving and sporty looks. As I said before, it’s not an Si but it’s a softer version of it. Did I wish it had maybe 20-30 hp more? Sure, but if I got those 20-30 hp, I’d want still more. I tell myself no matter how much power you have, you’ll always want more. This car is a fun car already.
With the miles I drive, my priority was reliability. Maybe there are more engaging cars to drive, but not many with Honda reliability and 40+mpg on highway.
6mt in my car is smooth and a little more rubbery with longer throws than Si I test drove, but I don’t mind. It’s still as smooth shifting a transmission I think there is right now.
Really wanted the manual with all the features, even if the price is a little high but it’s an extremely comfortable daily, solid ride, reliability and fuel economy.
Great car. Hope something like it is available in 5-6 years when I need a new one.
I figure the way manuals are going, I’ve got this one and maybe one more new one before manuals are gone for good. I’d go as far to say that if I had to get CVT in this car, I’d be looking elsewhere.
Running 87 with occasional 93, don’t notice any difference in power or mpg. On 87, consistently 36+ combined and been as high as 43 on a entire interstate tank.
Sponsored

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
Thanks so much for the reply. I am shopping to replace my 2006 Mazda3 5 speed sedan and would have already bought another Mazda sedan if they still offered the manual with a sedan. Mazda3 Premium hatchback at $29k is the only Mazda available with a manual and I didn't favor the Mazda hatchback, kind of small for my wishes. But I do like the Honda hatchback Sport Touring model.
... I test drove a 2020 Honda SI and liked it very much but the interior was not that attractive for me. I like leather seats and also the SI had all of that red cloth on the armrest and such.
... I don't really need a new car but wanted to buy one before all the manuals disappear and with the influx of electric vehicles, also a no go for me. I have really enjoyed driving my 150 hp Mazda3 with the manual for over 15 years of ownership since newly purchased. I have owned many high horsepower cars and motorcycles but it really is fun to "drive a slow car fast" and not have to worry as much with getting tickets. I drive a tractor trailer for a living and I can't keep my job if I get any tickets for excessive speed!!
... I don't think the law would give me the "Tiger Woods" "fair" treatment !!

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Thanks so much for the reply. I am shopping to replace my 2006 Mazda3 5 speed sedan and would have already bought another Mazda sedan if they still offered the manual with a sedan. Mazda3 Premium hatchback at $29k is the only Mazda available with a manual and I didn't favor the Mazda hatchback, kind of small for my wishes. But I do like the Honda hatchback Sport Touring model.
... I test drove a 2020 Honda SI and liked it very much but the interior was not that attractive for me. I like leather seats and also the SI had all of that red cloth on the armrest and such.
... I don't really need a new car but wanted to buy one before all the manuals disappear and with the influx of electric vehicles, also a no go for me. I have really enjoyed driving my 150 hp Mazda3 with the manual for over 15 years of ownership since newly purchased. I have owned many high horsepower cars and motorcycles but it really is fun to "drive a slow car fast" and not have to worry as much with getting tickets. I drive a tractor trailer for a living and I can't keep my job if I get any tickets for excessive speed!!
The 2 problems I have with the "touring" trim is the premium audio completely lacks bass, and a heated steering wheel would have been really nice to have.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ECCST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You have it right on - this is not a “fast” car by any means but it fun to try to drive fast. It is the “slow car fast” dynamic.

I had a 2002 325i with sport pkg and I know I will get ridiculed a bit saying this but this Honda is 80% of the driving feel of that car from nearly 20 years ago.

OP
OP

ECCST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The 2 problems I have with the "touring" trim is the premium audio completely lacks bass, and a heated steering wheel would have been really nice have.
Not untrue what you have said, but it’s a civic to me and I’m ok with what it has. Those things would be nice.
My 2005 element has a better sounding audio with the standard subwoofer.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
You should swap the shifter for the Type R shifter. Apparently it’s available online for under $50 shipped. You can go nuts buying all the Acuity bolt on stuff, but I bet the stock R shifter is gonna be awesome compared to the Touring!

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should swap the shifter for the Type R shifter. Apparently it’s available online for under $50 shipped. You can go nuts buying all the Acuity bolt on stuff, but I bet the stock R shifter is gonna be awesome compared to the Touring!
Genuine Honda Civic Type R 6 Speed Red Leather Wrapped Shift Knob 08U92-TEA-110 $177.99
This is the shift knob only <> on Ebay <> Where can you get what you are talking about for $50 ??
Please give us a link or website info....

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thank you for the clarification. Maybe that Ebay listing is just overpriced but I would have thought this assembly would cost more than just the knob itself. But, I admit I know very little :)
I guess the knob is sexy and flashy and easy to change, much higher demand.

LesAnanasNeParlentPas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Corolla CE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My first post - new member.

Up until last week, I had a 2016 CRV Touring. I do a lot of highway driving and had racked up over 140,000 miles on it. Solid car, no problems, maintenance done by the book. Prior to this I had a '13 Golf R with 6MT, so I was missing that car, although I traded it off at 40,000 miles fearing future maintenance. I was looking for something of a "touring car" (a good highway cruiser) with the manual being the must-have, considering the CRV driving experience to be boring.

2 weeks before COVID, I checked out the Accord 2.0T 6mt and an Si Coupe to see which one fit my need for a highway cruiser with manual. The Accord was very impressive and I eliminated the Si because it felt too stiff for me - great car, but felt track car-like as compared to the Accord even though the Accord could put the power down mightily. At the time, I didn't feel the purchase was right, so I passed. 2 weeks later COVID happens and then I find out no more manual Accords.

I spend the next few months hearing about which cars are losing manuals (including 2021 Civic Sedans),so I figure if I'm not going Si, then now must be the time to get what may be the final manual Hondas (except again, 2022 Si or CTR). Tried out the ST Hatch and liked it. Far from the increased power, adjustable dampers, suspension setup of the Si, but I figured that actually is what I wanted. Feels like this may be the last manual Honda I may be able to buy if I keep it for at least 5 years.

My deciding factors over Si:
1. Gas mileage
2. Softer setup/ride - I'm getting older. I figured maybe the touring has some degree of improved insulation to reduce NVH, but maybe it's just in my mind.
3. Perceived additional maintenance costs (adjustable dampers have to cost more).
4. The standard 1.5L engine in the majority of the rest of the Civic line - hopefully since it's 5 years past 2016, the engine has been refined /bugs worked out in this final year of 10G.
5. Additional luxury features of the Touring - yes, it's debatable about whether they are worth the cost over the regular Sport, but I'm going to flatten the depreciation curve by keeping it for at least 5 years. I also must have satellite radio, so Touring was necessary (yes, you could stream XM through phone, but I wanted built-in).
6. Hatch body style. There probably will be a 2022 Si Hatch, but I don't do first year models, so if I wanted this, I would wait for '23 or '24 and I didn't want to wait. Plus, the hatch has lessened the impact of the hauling ability I had with CRV.
7. Happier with less HP - meaning, 180HP is an average HP output in today's cars (maybe slightly above average) and just driving normal with a 6speed puts the excitement back into driving again for me. Not overpowered, not underpowered for what the Civic is. Sometimes, I feel it's better to drive a "slower" car fast than have a car (like the Golf R) which made me an aggressive driver just by driving it.

These above points are probably the exact same considerations that most people have who mad the same decision that I did.

I for a very brief moment thought to wait for MK8 GTI, maybe WRX, whatever Kia has or had in 6mt, but then I remembered I am a Honda guy.

Nothing wrong with Si in my book, just personal preference. No matter the choice in Civic, I now have a fun car to drive that should be reliable for my next 5 years of car.
gas mileage is fantastic in my 2020 k20c2. currently averaging 37 mpg by so far driving 2,000 miles. pretty good for a non hybrid the size of a cb7/cd5 accord.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic/2020/kmqfpgsc91/1060670

Last edited:
OP
OP

ECCST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
gas mileage is fantastic in my 2020 k20c2. currently averaging 37 mpg by so far driving 2,000 miles. pretty good for a non hybrid the size of a cb7/cd5 accord.
just did another 400 miles this morning. 39.5mpg on entire interstate between 75-79mph.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
just did another 400 miles this morning. 39.5mpg on entire interstate between 75-79mph.
And that is with the manual correct ?? Which is very impressive.
How well do you like shifting gears in your car ?? Is it smooth, rubbery, long throws, notchy, etc... ??
Did you try any other make/models with a manual like the Mazda3 Premium hatchback ??

OP
OP

ECCST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And that is with the manual correct ?? Which is very impressive.
How well do you like shifting gears in your car ?? Is it smooth, rubbery, long throws, notchy, etc... ??
Did you try any other make/models with a manual like the Mazda3 Premium hatchback ??
See my comments above. This is a good comfortable car - not pretending to be an R or Si.

LesAnanasNeParlentPas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Corolla CE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited: