First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
Embrace the understeer :)

Doesn't matter the weather or conditions, you can plant your foot and go in the direction you're pointing, Whilst using lift of oversteer and late braking to leverage your front-heavy nature.

It's more involving than AWD, as there's still some traction limitations, and you've got a predictable drive (No difference between AWD Systems and worrying about how / when they'll kick in) allowing you to tickle the limits nicely:- I generally disfavour AWD for encouraging truly overzealous driving for the conditions ("Every car comes with all wheel stop")

Fundamentally, they're just quite thrashable without worries; Easy to start, but hard to master.
I'll 100% agree on the understeer thing. Growing up I was exposed to a ton of different cars(benefit of living close to Laguna Seca) so I knew that FWD was potent in the right hands/setup(Mini Coopers say high). Just never had the opportunity to feel thru steering wheel/seat. I was fascinated by big power IMSA cars so FWD was a secondary concern.

I went thru a variety of drivetrains in the cars I've had(FD3S is still fave) but in pure driving feel, my Hondas, EM1(RIP) & current DC2 give me sooo much feedback, balance, mid-corner bump compliance, & rotation that I'm hooked. My FC1 needs to be more like DC2 in the pitching sideways category. Sadly left foot braking & modern stability control don't play to well with each other.

I think a well setup FWD car(suspension, stroke, etc) can handle a wider variety of road conditions and still have similar performance to much higher HP/bigger/heavier cars.

Difficult to master is an understatement. Learning to full send drift is easier than to totally believe in the front end of a HONDA. But like a downforce/Aero car, once you do believe, the amount of confidence it gives you to brake later and let the front end guide you is insane. It's kinda the opposite of driving an pre-964 911 at speed, but without the lift and die part.

I think the reasons I like the EVO/GT-Four/323GTX/Gti-R/etc over Subaru is they're FWD biased so you get the benefits of FWD with the corner exit traction of RWD.

Reactions: POC

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Wouldn't say I prefer FWD......I just judge cars on a case by case basis. For the money, there wasn't another car that ticked all the right driving experience boxes like the R.

The ND2 Miata was a close 2nd for me. Right now, the GR Corolla would be another and the only AWD performance car I'd be interested in.

Above that.......meh, would have to get into Porsche GT territory to excite me.
Sponsored