Why do the stock tires suck?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
... and every year there are videos, like this one that came out a few days ago: (TireRack also just released another video comparing an AWD SUV on all-seasons vs. winter tires, but a Corolla is more applicable)
Interesting tests. Real streets in winter are not iced over like an ice rink though. You have to be driving over a long stretch of thick sheet ice to even remotely emulate a rink. Real streets in North America are never like that though for more than 2 days on end when a blue moon rises in the winter

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Real streets can have black ice or freezing rain so it is arguably worse. However, you're obviously convinced that you're fine on your tires and every other person, expert, the auto industry, the tire industry, insurance companies, and (even) both provincial and federal governments are wrong. In the face of that, I will say no more.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
in objective terms it's not that the stock tires suck, it's that they were designed to achieve certain specific goals, such as gas mileage and rolling resistance. Yes, they suck in terms of high performance, but the civic is not a high performance car. It's an economy compact. A BMW M3 comes with high performance tires. So it's not really fair to criticise honda for these tires. They were putting the tires that were appropriate on the car. I did swap mine out for more high performance tires, but most people who bought this car will be perfectly happy with the tires because they simply don't care about the criticisms raised here.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
in objective terms it's not that the stock tires suck, it's that they were designed to achieve certain specific goals, such as gas mileage and rolling resistance. Yes, they suck in terms of high performance, but the civic is not a high performance car. It's an economy compact. A BMW M3 comes with high performance tires. So it's not really fair to criticise honda for these tires. They were putting the tires that were appropriate on the car. I did swap mine out for more high performance tires, but most people who bought this car will be perfectly happy with the tires because they simply don't care about the criticisms raised here.
I get that, but I personally don't really drive my Civic I aggressively. The main issue is its general performance in slick conditions is way too poor regaedless of what its intended to do. Both my other cars were on all seasons and they never had the issue that the Civic did so it just makes me wonder. I switched my tires and wheels out recently and the difference is amazing, its still an all season tire but it grips so much better in the rain. Which shows the firestones were really not that good.

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I had continental pro contact on stock 19’ sport, blew 3 of them on potholes in the winter, then switched to continental extreme contact. It’s a beefier tire and it saved my life. I did 75-80 in slush rain and lost it going around a curve, the car was sideways. If it wasn’t for the continental, I prolly be dead or car totaled. I was able to correct steer and straighten out. This was like 2-3” of rain, mix with snow slush. Just shows how good they are. But please don’t try togo 75 in the slush rain. I do go 70-75 easily in rain, but not heavy rain. Best tire ever!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Why were you doing 80 in slush? Yikes. You were really lucky.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I noticed this too. I did NOT feel confident in driving in the rain at all because of the stock tires. Terrified, even, especially since I have to drive up and down rainy hills often. I put on Goodyear Eagle Sport all season tires when I put 18s on and I instantly felt the difference.
yeah all the Si owners hate the Eagle sport all-seasons. Literally for the same reason you stated... they are downright scary in heavy rain. That just tells me the firestones are pure garbage tires.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I recently bought DWS06's because I've heard they are about the best in rain.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I recently bought DWS06's because I've heard they are about the best in rain.
I love the DWS06. Although, they don’t corner as well when you are really pushing the car. Grip confidence when driving normally in all conditions is outstanding, and the tire is 50$ less than the equivalent Michelin.

I have had ProContact TX tires on my 2016 LX, TerrainContact H/T on my work truck f150, TrueContact Tour on my parents’ Odyssey, VikingContact 7s and ExtremeContact DWS06 on the Si. They all perform phenomenally for what vehicle and application they were designed for. I really like Continental’s compounds.
Sponsored

Last edited: