What did you do to your Type R today?

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
Thanks. Yup works with the oem collar. I just popped the shift boot down. Put a wrench on the oem collar unthreaded the oem shift knob and threaded the hks one on tightened collar back up once I got the knob centered and pulled the boot back up.
So pop the shift boot first then it'll twist off? I've been wanting to swap mine, but that sucker is on there good, lol.

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
So pop the shift boot first then it'll twist off? I've been wanting to swap mine, but that sucker is on there good, lol.
It's kinda tricky to find the sweet spot on the tabs that hold the boot collar to the jam nut. Using your thumb and pointer finger pinch around on the boot collar about 3/4-1" below the shift knob and feel for 2 tabs. Everywhere around the boot collar will be solid except for where those tabs are. The boot collar will compress slightly inwards where the tabs are located. Mines was inline with the boot stitching yours may be as well. Pinch firmly at the tabs and push/pull down on the collar. It'll feel like it's gonna break but those tabs are just a little bastard when it comes to releasing on their first time. Once it pops down you'll see a slotted area on the jam nut where you can put I think it was a 14mm wrench but I just used a mini crescent. Put your wrench on there to hold it in place and unscrew the oem knob. If it doesn't come out then tighten down on the jam nut (righty tighty lefty loosey) while holding the shift knob and it should break free. Once you swap out the knob retighten the shifter jam nut and pull up on the boot an you'll hear a click from the tabs and you're done! It's not too bad. I noticed once I broke the tabs free after the first time it got easier every time I wanted to swap out shift knobs lol. The jam nut is also called a shifter flange nut as well.

Last edited:

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
It's kinda tricky to find the sweet spot on the tabs that hold the boot collar to the jam nut. Using your thumb and pointer finger pinch around on the boot collar about 3/4-1" below the shift knob and feel for 2 tabs. Everywhere around the boot collar will be solid except for where those tabs are. The boot collar will compress slightly inwards where the tabs are located. Mines was inline with the boot stitching yours may be as well. Pinch firmly at the tabs and push/pull down on the collar. It'll feel like it's gonna break but those tabs are just a little bastard when it comes to releasing on their first time. Once it pops down you'll see a slotted area on the jam nut where you can put I think it was a 14mm wrench but I just used a mini crescent. Put your wrench on there to hold it in place and unscrew the oem knob. If it doesn't come out then tighten down on the jam nut (righty tighty lefty loosey) while holding the shift knob and it should break free. Once you swap out the knob retighten the shifter jam nut and pull up on the boot an you'll hear a click from the tabs and you're done! It's not too bad. I noticed once I broke the tabs free after the first time it got easier every time I wanted to swap out shift knobs lol. The jam nut is also called a shifter flange nut as well.
Thanks a lot. I figured when feeling around that there were clips under the boot. My Evo's boot just had a rubber grommet holding it up, essentially, and the knob just twisted off. A difference in build quality, for sure.

Dan0974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 2009 Civic Si, 2017 ABM Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Today I installed all the Honda lugs and black locking etc...oh and rotated my tires @ 2260 miles. Fronts are already wearing quickly...

9tMUAdk.jpg

uOC1sXQ.jpg

Clt9BGf.jpg

tOqF6fm.jpg
Looks great! Do you have a part # on these?

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Looks great! Do you have a part # on these?
08W42-TEA-600B (Lugs)
08W42-TEA-600A (Locks)

U.K. is our only source at the moment. Received these very quickly.

Glyn Hopkin Honda

Last edited:

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Anyone find the lugs/locks for less then $250 or so...
Civic Type-R Wheel Lock Nuts, Black 2017- (08W42-TEA-600A) 1 £86.17 £86.17
Subtotal £86.17
Delivery Express Worldwide Delivery (Air) £18.94
Tax £0.00
Total £105.11

Civic Type-R Wheel Nuts, Black 2017- (08W42-TEA-600B) 1 £86.17 £86.17
Subtotal £86.17
Delivery Express Worldwide Delivery (Air) £22.53
Tax £0.00
Total £108.70