Went in for a 2016 Civic and left with an Accord Sport

Negative3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
You should really do more research before rushing into buying a car. Buying and then returning it (selling) is great way to fritter away money.
Thank you captain obvious, do you really think you're telling me something I don't already know? I knew all of the details and was okay with the deal I signed when I signed it. Ultimately the main reason I'm getting out of it is related to seat comfort, no amount of research would have helped in that regard. Its also not a total wash as my job provides me with a generous car allowance (enough to cover the payments) and all of my vehicle related expenses are tax deductible.
Sponsored

schen72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RL Tech, 2008 Acura RDX Tech, 2016 Acura ILX Tech A-SPEC
Thank you captain obvious, do you really think you're telling me something I don't already know? I knew all of the details and was okay with the deal I signed when I signed it. Ultimately the main reason I'm getting out of it is related to seat comfort, no amount of research would have helped in that regard. Its also not a total wash as my job provides me with a generous car allowance (enough to cover the payments) and all of my vehicle related expenses are tax deductible.
Then it sounds like you really have no problem at all. Good for you.

MalikBrother

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
You got lucky. At least you don't have to deal with engine recall for a while or possibility ever. All the best with your Accord 2016.

civic5x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R, '16 Civic Sedan Touring, 2016 Land Rover LR4
Country flag
I drove a 2008 Accord and 2006 Civic recently until circumstances were that I needed a new car. I didn't go into the dealership looking for the Civic. I was really looking at accords. Then I saw a red touring on the showroom floor and ended up driving it home. It feels (and almost looks) as big as the 08 accord and is almost as quiet too. Quite honestly, I was looking for a 3rd car as that is what this will probably be in a few years. It is a forever car for me though and I can't imagine a better car to have as a 3rd car for my wife and I. I hope to get a nice sports car in a few years, when this gets put in the driveway and out to pasture so to speak, and my wife drives 450 GLs and likes them. She will get a new one next year probably. I love this civic as much as I did the 2006 when I bought it new. Concerning the other finance discussion, I am a proponent of waiting and paying cash for cars....and having them for a long time amortizing their cost over time. I could never do a lease as I like to drive a lot (more than leases would allow without paying extra) and own for a long time. :)

Last edited:

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Off topic and apologies for it, but I literally just realized there's no CD player in my Tourinf because of this thread lol. I'm losing it.

civic5x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R, '16 Civic Sedan Touring, 2016 Land Rover LR4
Country flag
Off topic and apologies for it, but I literally just realized there's no CD player in my Tourinf because of this thread lol. I'm losing it.
When I realized that I sort of freaked out.

MRsm1th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 civic ex 2012 Crc exl
Is there really no CD player??? I thought I saw a video were the front face opened up to revile a CD player. Can some one confirm this? Still trying to hold out for SI but not sure I can make it I wounder when 2017 sedan hit the floor also.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Is there really no CD player??? I thought I saw a video were the front face opened up to revile a CD player. Can some one confirm this? Still trying to hold out for SI but not sure I can make it I wounder when 2017 sedan hit the floor also.
There's definitely not. My 2010's navi screen folded down to allow a CD to be inserted, but in the Audio Source screen, there's definitely not a CD option.

I feel slightly better about overlooking this given I'm apparently not the only one who didn't notice

Negative3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Confirmed 100% , no cd player in my touring or any other 2016 Civic trim as far as I know. I am expecting this trend to continue as other models get full refreshes. Accord still has one , for now.

axreyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Accord LX MT, 2012 Mazda CX-9, 2016 Honda Accord LX MT
Aside from being similarly priced, the other factor that made me go with the Accord was the drivers seat. It just felt SO much better than the sunken in seat of the '16 Civic. My '14 Civic use to give me lower back pain and the new seats in the '16 didnt feel any better since you sit even lower.

Lease figures on the '16 Civics were pretty high. Salesman told me that it's because its still too new and that they should be going down a bit in a few months once sales figures start coming in. He also mentioned the major infotainment issues that they're having.

Things that I will miss that I dont have on the Accord Sport is the push button start and a sunroof. I can manage without a sunroof but after having push button start on my previous Civic, its going to take some getting use to. Especially when I got use to just opening the door and starting the car all while the key stayed in my pocket.

Overall I'm happy with my decision. It's a very nice looking vehicle. The factory l.e.d fog and daytime running lights look nice. The dull factory bulbs kind of throw the look off as they are very dim. I will replace them with some PIAA super white bulbs as I dont want to deal with HID's. The 2016 comes with factory 19" wheels which I'm not too crazy about to be honest. I think they're an inch too big. Honda should have stuck with 18" wheel for the sport model. Driving the Accord feels good. Car feels very planted to the road and power is good at 189hp/182ft lbs tq from its 2.4 inline 4. The Accord is equipped with sensing although I doubt i'll have the need to use it much. Still a nice feature to have for those long road trips.
Similar story - ended up purchasing an Accord LX MT last night and the seat on the Civic was the kicker. Because we want a manual transmission, the Civic choices are limited to the LX (which is nicely equipped here in Canada). I really liked the car but the seat was a deal breaker - too low and when raised became too flat and the seat bottom was too short for me (I like the front of the bottom cushion tilted up a fair bit). Then when my wife tried the Civic she said no way. She has short legs and a long torso (relatively) and she could not get close to setting things up comfortably, so that was the final nail in the coffin for the Civic (which was a shame given the car otherwise is great for the price). I was also looking at the VW Golf Sportwagen which I really liked and was hence on the verge of purchasing (we've been shopping for over a month now) when my wife said we should try the Accord (she knew I liked the Golf but that I was wary of the VW reliability thing). The first Honda dealer we were at said he did not have any Accord LX or Sport manuals nor were there any available. I called another dealer, same story. My wife called a third and lo and behold they had a white LX (colour I wanted). Of course we liked it on the test drive - it is an Accord. Also, the Canadian Accord LX is actually equipped more closely to the US EX. The Canadian LX has the 17" alloys, 10 way power drivers seat, heated front seats, and the touch screen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Basically it is the US EX minus the sun roof, LED running lights, blind spot detection, and XM - all for $24K CDN (we got it for a bit better than that).

Funny thing is this is basically a repeat of what we did when buying our current 09 Accord 7 years ago. We were getting a second car that my wife would be driving and were looking at the Civic. Because only the top level Civic had stability control at the time I said that would be the only model we would get. She test drove a few times and seemed to be hesitant saying stuff like "I'll be fine in this car". So I finally suggested trying the base Accord and the moment she started driving I could tell she was much happier, plus it was only $1K or so more than the top line Civic (and cheaper on insurance). Fast forward 7 years and almost the exact same story again, even the same dealer.

Purchase experience was actually pleasant as well. Couple of quick back and forths to get a price we were satisfied with, then the post sales/finance guy was great in that he simply finalized the purchase and set up the financing. He quickly asked "interested in extras like extended warranty and such?" to which we said no and that was that - no pushing that crap. All in all about 45 minutes from start to end to purchase.
Sponsored