Fully loaded 2016 Civic Touring vs Accord EX with Honda Sensing

tonywu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra
Hi,

I'm new here and considering buy a Civic or Accord. There are several threads comparing Civic and Accord, but from buying perspective, it makes more sense to compare specific trim levels that ends up with same cost. I would go with either a Civic Touring or Accord EX/w Honda Sensing -- the two cost around the same, and there are pros and cons for each side, which one do you recommend?

Pros for Civic Touring:
* Leather seats, but I'm in California so I'm not sure if it will get too hot easily
* Maybe more fun to drive? 1.5 turbo vs 2.4 4-cylinder
* Other bonus points like leather steering wheel, dimming rear view mirror, 10 speakers! I don't know why Civic tend to have more speakers than Accord.
* Easier to park?
* Feels more appropriate as a daily commute and grocery getting car.

Pros for an accord EX/w Honda sensing:
* Quieter? I do care about this and see there are complains about 2016 Civic also gets tire noises
* More comfortable?
* Civic saves on gas but it's totally offset by insurance cost. I tried with geico and it costs 30 more for Civic Touring monthly. (non turbo Civic only 20 monthly though)
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My initial test drive was an EX-L Civic vs. an EX-L Accord. Tried both because at that time, I wasn't really "in the market", just browsing for fun on a weekend when I was bored.

I couldn't get the Civic out of my mind afterwards, and a week and a half later, drove a Touring home :)

I wasn't a huge fan of how the Accord drove, it felt like it was larger than it was, had pronounced body roll. Throttle response was muted a bit, but it was a little smoother and quieter than the Civic.

This was significantly offset by the way the Civic drove, the extra power, significantly better MPG, more up-to-date and more numerous tech/features in general and styling. I also like the way the features are integrated, it's not button-happy a la Ford. It also drives and feels smaller than it is (its almost midsize anymore) while having the composed ride of a larger car. It is let down by the tires though - they lack grip and are noisy on coarse surfaces. On smooth ones, it's eerily silent over 80 MPH. Even after 6 and a half months of ownership, I'm still finding reasons to take backroads or just go for a cruise to enjoy the car/scenery. I have a feeling I wouldn't have felt this way with the Accord.

My insurances costs are quite low - something like $400/year? Its low enough that I don't have to care/worry about the cost.

OP
OP

tonywu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra
My initial test drive was an EX-L Civic vs. an EX-L Accord. Tried both because at that time, I wasn't really "in the market", just browsing for fun on a weekend when I was bored.

I couldn't get the Civic out of my mind afterwards, and a week and a half later, drove a Touring home :)

I wasn't a huge fan of how the Accord drove, it felt like it was larger than it was, had pronounced body roll. Throttle response was muted a bit, but it was a little smoother and quieter than the Civic.

This was significantly offset by the way the Civic drove, the extra power, significantly better MPG, more up-to-date and more numerous tech/features in general and styling. I also like the way the features are integrated, it's not button-happy a la Ford. It also drives and feels smaller than it is (its almost midsize anymore) while having the composed ride of a larger car. It is let down by the tires though - they lack grip and are noisy on coarse surfaces. On smooth ones, it's eerily silent over 80 MPH. Even after 6 and a half months of ownership, I'm still finding reasons to take backroads or just go for a cruise to enjoy the car/scenery. I have a feeling I wouldn't have felt this way with the Accord.

My insurances costs are quite low - something like $400/year? Its low enough that I don't have to care/worry about the cost.

I just got my license so they want me $150 a month for insured a financed Civic Touring or $140 for a normal one. Would be great if I can see the cost down within a year or two. After my test drive of it, I love the Brake Hold really a lot! But the interior of Accord does give a more premium feel...Maybe the correct the choice is to get a cheaper Civic then it makes sense.

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I've more or less had both. 2014 Accord LX and now a Civic Touring. Not exactly your predicament but very close.

I think that you get a lot more value for the money with the Civic. You get a faster, more efficient, more hi-tech, more equipped, more modern, more award winning car. You also get a car with a more interesting engine (1.5 Turbo is probably the most interesting engine Honda has released in decades). The Civic is altogether a more compelling package in my opinion.

You only really give up some space...maybe noise (not sure because my Accord wasn't that quiet)...and maybe the Civic nameplate isn't as respected as the Accord one? If that matters to you.

But if you look at it from another perspective, maybe you want the "smaller" Civic. Easier to park, lighter, more agile. It's rare that I ever have more than 1 passanger in my Civic. Maybe 5 times a year. For that, the Civic I think is plenty big.

busyizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Funny, I actually have owned both. Got a 2016 Accord EX w/ sensing and that got totaled a few months later (RIP!); got a 2016 Civic Touring to replace it. They're both good cars. I'd say the Accord is a bit more "mature" and old fashioned feeling. Does feel a little more premium inside the Accord EX, even compared to the Civic Touring. I would say the seats are slightly more comfortable in the Accord too (just having that roomy feeling is nice!) and you definitely notice the bumps on the road less. However, much better gas mileage with the Civic and the Civic is a funner drive! Not to be age-ist, but you can definitely tell that the Accord is modeled for an older/mature crowd, and the Civic is a younger or "cooler" crowd. Just look at the color available! The bright sporty colors of Aegon Blue and Rallye Red in the Civic vs the much more toned down and mature-feeling colors of the Basque Red and Obsidian Blue. I don't think you can go wrong with either - I have zero regrets about switching to the Civic Touring tho. I do miss my Accord when doing long drives.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My mother-in-law has a '16 Accord EX-L, and I drove it quite a bit. It's a fine car, but it's not as nimble or crisp as the Civic. Someone mentioned that it drives like a bigger car than it is, and that is spot-on. That doesn't mean it isn't pleasant, because it is.

The 185hp engine is really not enough for this car. It's significantly heavier, of course, and with the CVT the engine really struggles. I really notice it when trying to pass on the freeway. The Civic's turbo is just getting warmed up at 65, the Accord is breathing hard and doesn't have much more to give. I've never driven the V6 version, but that engine does great in the Oddy, so I'm sure it's more than enough for the Accord.

Inside it feels a bit bigger, but the only place it's really noticeable is in the back seat leg room. I dislike the Accord's center console. The armrest is an uncomfortable height for me, and the weird square cup holders are at the wrong height as well.

I also prefer the Civic's instrument cluster and single screen infotainment system. The Accord's system works great, but just isn't as user-friendly. Also, having gotten used to a digital speedometer, it's odd to switch back to a dial.

I find her Accord to be significantly noisier than the Civic, especially when that engine is running hard. It also doesn't have the Civic's pleasant growl when you step on the gas.

You really can't go wrong here, but for me it boils down to this: if you are after smiles-per-mile, get the Civic, if you need to haul around a back seat full of people frequently, then go Accord.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
My mother-in-law has a '16 Accord EX-L, and I drove it quite a bit. It's a fine car, but it's not as nimble or crisp as the Civic. Someone mentioned that it drives like a bigger car than it is, and that is spot-on. That doesn't mean it isn't pleasant, because it is.

The 185hp engine is really not enough for this car. It's significantly heavier, of course, and with the CVT the engine really struggles. I really notice it when trying to pass on the freeway. The Civic's turbo is just getting warmed up at 65, the Accord is breathing hard and doesn't have much more to give. I've never driven the V6 version, but that engine does great in the Oddy, so I'm sure it's more than enough for the Accord.

Inside it feels a bit bigger, but the only place it's really noticeable is in the back seat leg room. I dislike the Accord's center console. The armrest is an uncomfortable height for me, and the weird square cup holders are at the wrong height as well.

I also prefer the Civic's instrument cluster and single screen infotainment system. The Accord's system works great, but just isn't as user-friendly. Also, having gotten used to a digital speedometer, it's odd to switch back to a dial.

I find her Accord to be significantly noisier than the Civic, especially when that engine is running hard. It also doesn't have the Civic's pleasant growl when you step on the gas.

You really can't go wrong here, but for me it boils down to this: if you are after smiles-per-mile, get the Civic, if you need to haul around a back seat full of people frequently, then go Accord.
And actually, the civic doesn't have much less room in the back of the accord...hence why I got the civic...i test drove the 16 civic turbo, ex accord, and touring accord...my favorite was the accord...even with the v6 in the touring, I know its faster, the turbo just has so much kick to it, it feels faster than the touring accord...i chose the civic over the accord and I used to have an Accord...no regrets here
Sponsored