Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
The damage is minor and the guy fessed up. Still sucks, of course, but could be much worse. My first sports car was a 97 M3 sedan, and I got hit when I'd had the car for three weeks. Two months in the body shop and $15k in damage. That hurt.
Sponsored

RickW

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 civic ex 2020 civic sport
Country flag
It is...no frame or anything....but the depreciated value is gonna hurt come trade in time...going to have to recoup that.
Talk to your insurance company I believe there is a way to recoup that depreciation the accident caused from the other party's insurance.

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Talk to your insurance company I believe there is a way to recoup that depreciation the accident caused from the other party's insurance.
The adjuster from 'the other guy' said that here in PA....that typically only comes in to play when a car is on the dealer's lot...and not owned.... My own dealer was sort of cagey about it - they said 'industry standard' is 20% of the value at the time it happened...yet...they won't put that in writing.... My best hope is to somehow avoid having a CarFax turned in...

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
The adjuster from 'the other guy' said that here in PA....that typically only comes in to play when a car is on the dealer's lot...and not owned.... My own dealer was sort of cagey about it - they said 'industry standard' is 20% of the value at the time it happened...yet...they won't put that in writing.... My best hope is to somehow avoid having a CarFax turned in...
Do you plan on giving up the car? why do you care about resale value?

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you plan on giving up the car? why do you care about resale value?
Down the road...sure... I just care about it because they whacked $1k off my '15 Si for a CarFax, when the car looked (and was) perfect. I don't want it used against me when I do trade...that's all.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
It is...no frame or anything....but the depreciated value is gonna hurt come trade in time...going to have to recoup that.
hey i have claimed for depreciation successfully before, but not sure if that is available for comprehensive coverage though. u check it out.

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
hey i have claimed for depreciation successfully before, but not sure if that is available for comprehensive coverage though. u check it out.
How did you go about it? The adjuster said that he's only really ever seen it possible if the car was on a dealer's lot -not sold, and some damage happens (we had a dude in a van go blasting thru a car lot, damaging a bunch of the vehicles there a while back)...

tripodog

First Name
kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc2 sport 2.slow
Country flag
Can you fix it yourself and avoid being reported on carfax

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Then he needs to weigh the cost between how much he need to pay for repair vs how much the car will reduce in value. 3k to fix but car only depreciates 2k if went for insurance, probably not worth it.

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm the most mechanically inept person you'll ever meet... I can change the oil...and do small things, but... I may be in luck regarding CarFax... From what I gather, the insurance folks are the ones who turn that in. The guilty insurance said they aren't going to initiate that... My insurance is out of the loop, as the other one took responsibility...and the body shop said they aren't the ones who start that ball rolling, either.

I'd just have to trade it somewhere other than where i bought it (or sell via Carvana or some other)...as they already know it was hit.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
How did you go about it? The adjuster said that he's only really ever seen it possible if the car was on a dealer's lot -not sold, and some damage happens (we had a dude in a van go blasting thru a car lot, damaging a bunch of the vehicles there a while back)...
My few months old rav4 got rear ended, slight cosmetic damages only, and it was the other driver's fault. And i just asked the adjuster for it, and that was it. But that check came much later after the fix was done though, so it would a bit time, in my case. Oh, and i got about $1300 for it.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
People have merged into me multiple times as well. I’ve avoided them fortunately, but I don’t understand how they can’t see this color….
If you notice that you are chilling in somebody’s blind spot on the highway for any extended period of time, it’s always smart to make an effort to speed up slightly or drop back a bit. I also try to stay aware of how quickly they are approaching the car in front of them to anticipate whether they are going to want to make an abrupt lane change.

Even if it is their responsibility to yield to you, it’s always best to just accept that anyone around you could be a dumbass behind the wheel.
Sponsored