Jpratt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So recently I've been dealing with a misfire scheduled to go to honda tomorrow cause I believe it's injectors, already went through diag process. I'm just wondering can I flash my car back to stock with the w1 installed to take it back to honda? Basically I'm not trying to do it myself cause it's kinda bs that these injectors fail under 40k
Sponsored

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you describe when the misfire happens? Under load? In boost? When the car sits overnight and you start it, how does it sound?

The reason I ask is; If you're on the W1 with stock headgasket and headstuds, you could easily have pushed a headgasket. I had the same issue.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You can take it back to Honda without a tune but the fact is, with a non-stock turbo installed, odds are this won't be under warranty. Unless the dealer is fairly clueless.

As far as injectors, are you running high ethanol content? If so, you can't blame Honda if the injectors went bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jpratt

Jpratt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
You can take it back to Honda without a tune but the fact is, with a non-stock turbo installed, odds are this won't be under warranty. Unless the dealer is fairly clueless.

As far as injectors, are you running high ethanol content? If so, you can't blame Honda if the injectors went bad.

I mean but how can you prove a turbo caused the injectors to go bad?

also I'm not running ethanol

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I mean but how can you prove a turbo caused the injectors to go bad?

also I'm not running ethanol
They don't have to prove it, based on you being tuned and with an aftermarket turbo they can pretty much deny any powertrain service they want. It would then be on you to lawyer up and make them prove it - way more time and money later than paying out of pocket would cost.

OP
OP
Jpratt

Jpratt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
They don't have to prove it, based on you being tuned and with an aftermarket turbo they can pretty much deny any powertrain service they want. It would then be on you to lawyer up and make them prove it - way more time and money later than paying out of pocket would cost.
Appreciate it

topher_fc3

First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I wouldn’t want to drive more than 5 feet with a stock tune and any after market turbo installed.

Even the w1 base tunes are just for getting the car to a spot where you can get a full tune. Not worth the risk imo.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I wouldn’t want to drive more than 5 feet with a stock tune and any after market turbo installed.

Even the w1 base tunes are just for getting the car to a spot where you can get a full tune. Not worth the risk imo.
In general that's good advice but if you're just casually driving across town because you need service, it's a little overcautious IMO. 27WON full on dyno'd the car with a drop in W1 no tune to show the differences. Granny driving your car to the dealer would be fine.

topher_fc3

First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
In general that's good advice but if you're just casually driving across town because you need service, it's a little overcautious IMO. 27WON full on dyno'd the car with a drop in W1 no tune to show the differences. Granny driving your car to the dealer would be fine.
That is good feedback.

But I’d also be nervous about how the dealer’s tech treated the car once they got it. They aren’t as likely to baby it as the OP would.

For a $350 set of injectors, I don’t know man, I think I’d rather roll the dice hoping they don’t check for a tune. But we all make our own decisions and choose our own risks. Best of luck to the OP. Hope it works out for you.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That is good feedback.

But I’d also be nervous about how the dealer’s tech treated the car once they got it. They aren’t as likely to baby it as the OP would.

For a $350 set of injectors, I don’t know man, I think I’d rather roll the dice hoping they don’t check for a tune. But we all make our own decisions and choose our own risks. Best of luck to the OP. Hope it works out for you.
Oh for sure, I'm just academically speaking that it would probably be okay with a responsible driver. Once you're tuned on an aftermarket turbo I either wouldn't go to the dealer at all or go in tuned anyway, warranty is basically shot regardless.

OP
OP
Jpratt

Jpratt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
That is good feedback.

Appreciate it brother. I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it myself. Tbh I was just being lazy and didn't feel like dealing with it but I only got like 6 months left on my power train warranty anyways
Sponsored