W1 or Phearable tune?

Which path should I take for my CVT hatchback sport?

• Total voters

lancebarrett

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport CVT Hatchback
Country flag
What would be the best way to go about raising the power of my hatchback sport CVT?

1) W1 turbo + full bolt-ons
2) Phearable 1.5 Race Tune + intercooler + maybe intake

The W1 with a custom tune should net around 215-220HP and 197-202TQ. This path would have much more torque room to play with from the CVT ceiling limit and inevitably get more horsepower out of the same torque.

The Phearable 1.5 Race Tune will max out the CVT's torque limits of 250-260 with only 225HP meaning only maybe a cai and intercooler could be added.

The Phearable tune offers a cheaper and simpler way to get good power, but the W1 path with bolt ons will offer the same amount of torque but around 20hp more. Is it worth it? Any thoughts? I would love to hear any input, thanks!
Sponsored

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What would be the best way to go about raising the power of my hatchback sport CVT?

1) W1 turbo + full bolt-ons
2) Phearable 1.5 Race Tune + intercooler + maybe intake

The W1 with a custom tune should net around 215-220HP and 197-202TQ. This path would have much more torque room to play with from the CVT ceiling limit and inevitably get more horsepower out of the same torque.

The Phearable 1.5 Race Tune will max out the CVT's torque limits of 250-260 with only 225HP meaning only maybe a cai and intercooler could be added.

The Phearable tune offers a cheaper and simpler way to get good power, but the W1 path with bolt ons will offer the same amount of torque but around 20hp more. Is it worth it? Any thoughts? I would love to hear any input, thanks!
W1 will put you between 270-290whp and 230-250wtq. A tuner with experience tuning L15s and CVTs will make sure that they adjust the torque curve enough to prevent CVT damage. We have several forum members running W1 turbos w/ CVTs and with Hatchbacks, and most haven't had problems. With that said, it is a LOT of money. W1 will require intercooler and charge pipes, intake, turbo inlet, big turbo downpipe, and custom tuning, which everything after labor is going to run you ~$7,000 or more.

Buying Phearable 1.5/1.5R is definitely a lot cheaper, and the tune is designed with CVTs in mind as well. From there any bolt-ons you add will only enhance the experience. Would be a lot cheaper than going W1, and technically safer if you check out gtman's Tuning thread.

I would definitely recommend Phearable 1.5R for now, and if *that* doesn't scratch your itch, either go buy a Si or spend all that money on the W1 and FBO.

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I was in the same situation myself and I ended up going FBO with the tune.

I had gone as far as to buy a W1 that I sold to another member. My rationale was eventually that if I was going to go bigger turbo I should do it with an Si. There have been issues with the sport rods and whatnot and like others have said, dumping thousands into the platform that isn’t ideal for that modification seemed like the wrong move.

With all that said though, I have been thinking again of doing a W1 with a custom tune, now that I am FBO and not totally satisfied.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think ultimately it boils down to how much you want to spend, how far you want to go power-wise and long term reliability.

Unfortunately, the connecting rods in the hatches are weaker than the sedans and coupes. Nothing major but something to consider.

I think for someone new to tuning, going with something basic to start is a good way to go. The Phearable 1.5R tune is surprisingly potent even on an otherwise stock setup. It's also protective of the CVT with super smooth, linear throttle response. If that's not enough, you can always upgrade your build as rwk said.

OP
OP
lancebarrett

lancebarrett

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you all for your responses, the tune certainly seems like the way to go. With the tune and maybe an intake and/or inter cooler, would the power be enough to where I would need to upgrade my clutch?

OP
OP
lancebarrett

lancebarrett

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
W1 will put you between 270-290whp and 230-250wtq.
Curious to where you got your numbers. 27WON in an email said the W1 with a tune provides a "~35-40HP bump and about ~20 - 25TQ". Are those numbers coming from the bolt-ons of going fbo?

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious to where you got your numbers. 27WON in an email said the W1 with a tune provides a "~35-40HP bump and about ~20 - 25TQ". Are those numbers coming from the bolt-ons of going fbo?
Sure, check out Derek Robinson / drobimw on Instagram, with this, this and this (non-Si) being good examples, the first two being Si's though.

Here is another example! Derek's done a ton of Civic's with w1 and other turbos. And a great example! here too. I'm a role tonight!

Last edited:

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for your responses, the tune certainly seems like the way to go. With the tune and maybe an intake and/or inter cooler, would the power be enough to where I would need to upgrade my clutch?
If you have a CVT, then I wouldn't worry about a clutch lol.

Like @gtman mentioned, these tuners have designed the tune to get maximum power levels that safely run on CVTs.

There isn't too much of a difference between Stock+Phearable 1.5R tune and FBO+Phearable 1.5R tune on these platforms. An upgraded intercooler won't really add more power - it is mainly to prevent heatsoak. And an intake could add neglible power once you are already tuned, but it will sound cool!

OP
OP
lancebarrett

lancebarrett

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
An upgraded intercooler won't really add more power - it is mainly to prevent heatsoak. And an intake could add neglible power once you are already tuned, but it will sound cool!
Yep, opted for those as they will give me more consistent power and a fun sound. I'm pretty much going to go FBO minus the down pipe because I don't want to worry about emissions or too much sound.

TeamDT

First Name
Mia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX
Country flag
Being A CVT owner and a Tuner I wouldn't go with any of the option you listed.

Intake
Intercooler
Flex fuel kit, ( Most recommended) Civic x loves it.
Custom tune. ( is a must )

200WHP to 220WHP on Dynojet .(I work at a dyno shop)(www.Fb.me/dynotechkhi)

Max WHP with stock turbo with more bolts ons mods will make 230whp.

we only have CVT's here , W1 Makes around 280 WHP.
My shop car with W1 tuned by me made 260WHP@25PSI.

OP
OP
lancebarrett

lancebarrett

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Being A CVT owner and a Tuner I wouldn't go with any of the option you listed.

Intake
Intercooler
Flex fuel kit, ( Most recommended) Civic x loves it.
Custom tune. ( is a must )

200WHP to 220WHP on Dynojet .(I work at a dyno shop)(www.Fb.me/dynotechkhi)

Max WHP with stock turbo with more bolts ons mods will make 230whp.

we only have CVT's here , W1 Makes around 280 WHP.
My shop car with W1 tuned by me made 260WHP@25PSI.
What would be the difference between the 220whp from a flex fuel kit and the 220whp from a Phearable tune?

TeamDT

First Name
Mia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX
Country flag
What would be the difference between the 220whp from a flex fuel kit and the 220whp from a Phearable tune?

you need flex fuel kit to get above 200Whp you cant make more then 190-200Whp in a pump gas car, there will be people who would be making but tune will be aggressive and will always require top notch fuel,

in very short statement : flex fuel kit with tune will be very reliable.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
you need flex fuel kit to get above 200Whp you cant make more then 190-200Whp in a pump gas car, there will be people who would be making but tune will be aggressive and will always require top notch fuel,

in very short statement : flex fuel kit with tune will be very reliable.
That simply isn't true. The TSP1 and Phearable 1.5 OTS tunes were dyno'd at roughly 220WHP on 93 octane. They've proven remarkably reliable as both Derek and John have kept torque at a safe limit below 4000 rpm to protect the CVT. I have no idea where you are coming up with that max 200WHP number.

Honda Civic 10th gen W1 or Phearable tune? TSP_Stage_1_Tune_Non-Si_480x480

Honda Civic 10th gen W1 or Phearable tune? phearablestage1point5nonsi-01

And honestly if you check out my community tuning experience & reliability thread, numerous failures were on cars on flex tunes.

Last edited: