UPDATE 3/24/17: MeisterR coilovers after 10k miles

OP
OP

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
@2hot2handle does the car scrape? How are the harder dampening settings? Is the ride firm but comfortable? Or is it harsh?
The car doesn't "scrape" from daily driving because it isn't too low..... yet anyway. In terms of "bottoming out" it doesn't either. I'm going to be lowering it more once my first set of wheels arrive and I'm confident there will be enough clearance for the chassis. Keep in mind, my car has the factory kit so the side skirts make the car seem a bit lower than it really is.

I've tried all damping settings. Full hard is really hard for daily driving (like almost close to FWD drag settings hard). Full soft is too soft and feels floaty/lumpy. In the middle (16) is a good bench mark as I'm testing level 12 all around right now (I'm probably gonna settle on something in between 12-16). Ride is firm when pushing the car a bit but very comfortable and mild mannered for daily driving. The Meister-R's have improved the excessive nose dive and rear squat where it's no longer a seesaw as much. Car also doesn't lean as much during turns (bigger roll bars will minimize that a lot more).

Overall I think these are really great for a daily, spirited driver. With a proper tire and roll bar combo, I can easily turn up the damping a bit and go run some circuit lapses for fun (I would NOT recommend for autocross - these are way to soft for that). With that being said, I don't think would be a primary go to option for a dedicated track/race car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car doesn't "scrape" from daily driving because it isn't too low..... yet anyway. In terms of "bottoming out" it doesn't either. I'm going to be lowering it more once my first set of wheels arrive and I'm confident there will be enough clearance for the chassis. Keep in mind, my car has the factory kit so the side skirts make the car to be a bit lower than it really is.

I've tried all damping settings. Full hard is really hard for daily driving (like almost close to FWD drag settings hard). Full soft is too soft and feels floaty/lumpy. In the middle (16) is a good bench mark as I'm testing level 12 all around right now (I'm probably gonna settle on something in between 12-16). Ride is firm when pushing the car a bit but very comfortable and mild mannered for daily driving. The Meister-R's have improved the excessive nose dive and rear squat where it's no longer a seesaw as much. Car also doesn't lean as much during turns (bigger roll bars will minimize that a lot more).

Overall I think these are really great for a daily, spirited driver. With a proper tire and roll bar combo, I can easily turn up the damping a bit and go run some circuit lapses for fun (I would NOT recommend for autocross - these are way to soft for that). With that being said, I don't think would be a primary go to option for a dedicated track/race car.
Thanks for the input! Eager to get my hands on these now!

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Would this void your Honda warranty?
No, it can only void warranty of directly related parts IF it's proven that they caused the issue. Most suspension parts are wearable anyways and not covered under most cases anyways...

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was told by a Honda service manager that if you modify a Honda in any way they can void the warranty completely. Swap your radio for aftermarket? Voided. New slotted routers? Voided. Intake or new muffler? Voided.. So when considering aftermarket upgrades keep it in mind if it's worth it.

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was told by a Honda service manager that if you modify a Honda in any way they can void the warranty completely. Swap your radio for aftermarket? Voided. New slotted routers? Voided. Intake or new muffler? Voided.. So when considering aftermarket upgrades keep it in mind if it's worth it.
I think that guy was blowing smoke...

I was told by my service advisor that it only voids your warranty if it causes an issue that the OEM equipment wouldn't cause. So for instance, replacing the suspension would not cause an issue with the engine, so they can't void your engine warranty because of something non-related such as suspension.

I would say however, that an intake could void an engine warranty. Same with a tune, reflash, etc. I think an exhaust is different though, at least if it is cat-back. I could see a turbo back exhaust voiding an engine warranty because of the sensors, but a cat-back has no sensors, it's just a pipe.

OP
OP

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
lol Don't believe everything you're told. Your warranty is NOT automatically voided just by changing a part out. Now a dealer can make it difficult for you to get your car covered under the warranty for something if you've added performance/cosmetic (non OE equipment) to your car but you are NOT automatically "voided" just because of that.

Some service managers say sh!t like that so they don't put themselves in a situation to have to explain/be a part of a warranty claim.

I never needed much warranty service for any of my cars but when I did, they always tried at first to say it won't be covered because of the modifications I've done to my cars. On my previous car (2005 Evo), the fan module became defected causing the fans to stay on all the time w/ the engine running. I was able to determine the module went bad because there was no output signal going to the fan side (probably due to a short inside the module) and I swapped it out w/ my buddies for a same year and model to test and the fans worked correctly afterward. I went to the dealer to get the fan module swapped out under warranty and at first they tried to deny my claim stating my all my mods caused the failure (I laughed at them). I requested a formal statement of how that would be the case and they wouldn't provide one (because they hope just by saying my warranty is voided/denied by my mods, I'd walk away). After I explained I basically did their job for them for identifying what needed to be done and since they would not give me a formal statement, they swapped the fan module under warranty.

Now if a connecting rod went through my block, I'd still try to get the engine covered under their warranty (lol doesn't hurt to try) but I'm also reasonable to understand that the larger turbo, built head and tune could have led to the cause....... Long story short, don't let the dealer play you.

Ru'sCivicT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2012 Civc EX
Look-up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. It basically outlines the fact that they cannot void your warranty just because you have an aftermarket item installed. Like 2hot2handle said, they need to prove that the item(s) you installed are the cause of whatever part malfunctioned in order for them to deny that warranty claim. Maybe just take your vehicle to another dealer if you do ever install any aftermarket components. Some places are more lenient and will basically look the other way or are cool with working on modified vehicles. Work is work, especially if the dealer is slow (no work).

Hondadude88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a quick question. Why would you want to change your suspension set-up on a brand new car that will basically void the warranty, at least on your suspension?

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a quick question. Why would you want to change your suspension set-up on a brand new car that will basically void the warranty, at least on your suspension?
The stock suspension is pretty weak, kinda floaty and rolls quite a bit. This upgrade would enable you to get a better look by lowering and it also reduces roll and feels better around corners.
Sponsored