milkyZ5

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
so i was installing my replica wing today on my 2020 civic hatchback sport, it was time to put in the long M6 bolts but i can feel them not tightening. i may have stripped them somehow, what are my options?
Sponsored

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I'd remove the wing from the car and see if I could thread the bolts in without the wing being on the car. If that works, then I'd try threading the bolts in with the wing lifted off the surface of the car. That might help if the hole alignment isn't perfect. Once you're able to start the threads, you my be able to slowly snug them down.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I'd remove the wing from the car and see if I could thread the bolts in without the wing being on the car. If that works, then I'd try threading the bolts in with the wing lifted off the surface of the car. That might help if the hole alignment isn't perfect. Once you're able to start the threads, you my be able to slowly snug them down.
This. I had a similar problem installing my wing and this helped. Also making sure you’re screwing in from a good straight direction helps. I ended up drilling the OEM holes in the underside of the hatch wider to make sure I had good space to get the tools and hardware through. My wife helped keep the wing in place for me then the installation went fine. Just take your time.

OP
OP

milkyZ5

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys. One side of the wing actually did tighten up really good. But I guess I will have to try making the OEM holes wider Incase they are not going straight. Removing the actual wing will be tough as I had already put gasket maker and silicone around the wing.

OP
OP

milkyZ5

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So what I ended up doing was this. I removed the bolts that were not tightening up and I added some Teflon around them, about 3 wraps around and added some high strength loctite. I put the bolts back in and yes they did not tighten up to how I would of liked them to but they did end up fitting better and a little snug. The washers before were loose and you could move them around, but now you cannot. I then removed the silicone I had added and applied some Clear RTV Adhesive Sealant around the wing. I’m hopeful this will be enough. Other than that, the wing looks good.

Honda Civic 10th gen TYPE R wing install gone wrong 9B795623-B93C-489D-9C78-7F1C3AF52799

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
Hopefully nobody grabs it or it gets exposed to side or pulling forces.

Best of luck....

ObsidionXI

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic FK7
Country flag
This. I had a similar problem installing my wing and this helped. Also making sure you’re screwing in from a good straight direction helps. I ended up drilling the OEM holes in the underside of the hatch wider to make sure I had good space to get the tools and hardware through. My wife helped keep the wing in place for me then the installation went fine. Just take your time.
DMay I ask how you went about to get the OEM holes drilled? did you drill from inside the hatch, or from outside with a template? I have an OEM wing I'm looking to install, and looking for advice/guidance. Thanks.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
So what I ended up doing was this. I removed the bolts that were not tightening up and I added some Teflon around them, about 3 wraps around and added some high strength loctite. I put the bolts back in and yes they did not tighten up to how I would of liked them to but they did end up fitting better and a little snug. The washers before were loose and you could move them around, but now you cannot. I then removed the silicone I had added and applied some Clear RTV Adhesive Sealant around the wing. I’m hopeful this will be enough. Other than that, the wing looks good.

9B795623-B93C-489D-9C78-7F1C3AF52799.jpeg
I don't understand. Why are you trying to make your car look like a TypeR?