Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did the 651 Sport handle rain and cold?

I'm looking for a new set of tires, sold my RT615K+s. Wasn't that impressed with them although I never got to take them out on track. They were loud in that they had a resonance around 45mph (got better after initial break-in, but was still there), the sidewalls didn't seem that stiff or at least I still felt a significant decrease in turn-in response compared to the stock 20s on stock-size PS4S, on the street at least. Grip seemed ok. They were 265/35 on 18x9.5 +38.

I was looking at getting a set of GT Radial Champiro SX2s. I had a set on my FA5 and actually liked them a lot. Super cheap. Drove them in all conditions including heavy rain and cold (parked outside) and they seemed fine. What sucks is they only go up to 265/35 and I want at least a 275/35 as my new wheels are 10" wide. They do have the SX2 RS but only in limited sizes.
I took them up to Tail of the Dragon a week ago, and they were confident in the rain. They also did ok on the Dragon in 45°f-55°f temps. I've never taken them out below 40. I've been getting them 50% off on sale at tirestreets.com during their fall sale. It was hard to resist the $80 price tag
Sponsored

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I took them up to Tail of the Dragon a week ago, and they were confident in the rain. They also did ok on the Dragon in 45°f-55°f temps. I've never taken them out below 40. I've been getting them 50% off on sale at tirestreets.com during their fall sale. It was hard to resist the $80 price tag
Did some more research and apparently they're pretty loud on the street - does that align with your experience? And do they run wide? Of course they have a 265/35 and 285/35 but not a 275...

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I don’t need tires but like you said, if I see them for 80$ I’m getting a couple to try :beer:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did some more research and apparently they're pretty loud on the street - does that align with your experience? And do they run wide? Of course they have a 265/35 and 285/35 but not a 275...
They're a little loud on super smooth tarmac but quieter than than my DWS on rough roads. Go figure 😅

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...DIg8kb5aiH8Epd8MU-yViOSBXHtVlU1BQ&oe=655557CB

They look beefy asf here, 265/35 on 18x9.5

For comparison here are the SX2s, same wheel and tire size.

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...MfEYRKL53ajhGrRyt2Pi07So9Q-22Cumw&oe=65555011

And then RT615K+. Did not like how the lip of the rim is exposes due to the narrowness/sidewall design.

@86salmon 50% off?! That's crazy. I don't see that on their website anymore, I'm going to reach out. Would be an no-brainer over the SX2s at that price.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...DIg8kb5aiH8Epd8MU-yViOSBXHtVlU1BQ&oe=655557CB

They look beefy asf here, 265/35 on 18x9.5

For comparison here are the SX2s, same wheel and tire size.

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...MfEYRKL53ajhGrRyt2Pi07So9Q-22Cumw&oe=65555011

And then RT615K+. Did not like how the lip of the rim is exposes due to the narrowness/sidewall design.

@86salmon 50% off?! That's crazy. I don't see that on their website anymore, I'm going to reach out. Would be an no-brainer over the SX2s at that price.
They do 30% off bulk the rest of the time. They may have it again for Black Friday

This is 255/35 r18x9.5 +38

They're pretty meaty

Honda Civic 10th gen Track Racing Tire Guide PXL_20230921_182724152
Honda Civic 10th gen Track Racing Tire Guide PXL_20230921_140330936
Honda Civic 10th gen Track Racing Tire Guide PXL_20230921_140114993

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys remember you are buying tires, not cheap rim protectors.
If you have heard of anything dangerous about the Accelera tires please share.

The only bad thing I've encountered is that they're heavy

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
So, I think this thread has gone a bit off track. It is supposed to be about a "Track Racing Tire Guide" but now we are getting complaints about track tire road noise and wet capabilities. There is no such thing as an all purpose tire that does everything well, it is just a balance of compromises. A track tire needs to be able to handle lots of heat, be somewhat consistent, and needs to be pretty tough to deal with curbs etc. For most of us it needs to be reasonably fast as well. Street tires don't need to do much if any of those things.

I do understand the cost issue but do you really want to skimp on a tire that you ask so much of when braking and cornering at the limit, lap after lap? (No, the Tail of the Dragon is not a race track). The difference between something cheaper like the Kumho V730 vs the expensive Continental Extreme Contact Force may or may not be justified but some untested discount tire from a manufacturer you don't know that doesn't have a proven record will never end up on my track wheels. I have no idea about Accelera tires but I wouldn't trust them on a race track without a lot more experience by others willing to risk it.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have used the Accelera for HPDE lapping and autox as stated in an earlier post. They were consistent and held up fine all day on a brake heavy course (CMP)

As someone learning and not trying to gain seconds every lap, I don't see the point in $300+ ea tires. It's a consumable and for my budget and skill level, it fits my needs.

When I get faster and need a faster tire I'll upgrade.

There is a place for less expensive tires in this discussion

chadwicke619

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP 2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So, I think this thread has gone a bit off track. It is supposed to be about a "Track Racing Tire Guide" but now we are getting complaints about track tire road noise and wet capabilities.
How are questions (very different from complaints) about how noisy track tires are, or how they perform in the wet, out of scope for a post about track tires? And why are your snarky quips about tires you’ve never used in scope? Come on brother.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
How are questions (very different from complaints) about how noisy track tires are, or how they perform in the wet, out of scope for a post about track tires?
Because if they're a track tire who cares how loud they are? How they perform in the wet is a very legitimate question. Track tires are generally not driven on the street much for the reasons given above.

There is the first section of Austin's guide that covers street/track tires. I know a little about them as I've been using them (Michelin PS4) for my first two years of tracking. I'm now going to the RS4s or V730. I get that cost is a concern but that all has to be factored in as Dave B has said.

"As someone learning and not trying to gain seconds every lap, I don't see the point in $300+ ea tires. It's a consumable and for my budget and skill level, it fits my needs."

And yes aren't we all just trying to knock off a few seconds here or there? It's one measure of how we tell can tell whether or not we are improving.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Because if they're a track tire who cares how loud they are? How they perform in the wet is a very legitimate question. Track tires are generally not driven on the street much for the reasons given above.

There is the first section of Austin's guide that covers street/track tires. I know a little about them as I've been using them (Michelin PS4) for my first two years of tracking. I'm now going to the RS4s or V730. I get that cost is a concern but that all has to be factored in as Dave B has said.

"As someone learning and not trying to gain seconds every lap, I don't see the point in $300+ ea tires. It's a consumable and for my budget and skill level, it fits my needs."

And yes aren't we all just trying to knock off a few seconds here or there? It's one measure of how we tell can tell whether or not we are improving.

Some people don't have the space or budget to have multiple sets of track tires. I only bring one spare wheel/tire so that I have room for tools, jack, canopy, cooler, fluids, etc. I don't have a truck and trailer for my Civic nor do I i have plans for one in the near future

I agree noise isn't really that relevant to dedicated track tires, but the question was asked and I'm not going to say, "No, I won't answer because that's not relevant."

As to the improving times comment, yes, we are trying to get faster. As a couple of my instructors have told me, practicing/learning on a slower tire makes you faster when you make the switch. In addition, starting on faster tires can also allow bad habits a sticky tire can compensate for.

If there is a safety reason to not use the tires I'm on, please say so. Like I said before, when my skills are ready for better rubber, I'll make the transition

Last edited:

chadwicke619

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP 2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I mean, I would agree that it doesn't matter how loud they are when you're driving them on track, but I have to imagine that there are a lot of people out there who have gone through the exact same dilemma I am going through now with my tire setups: Do I want to haul a second set of tires all the way to the track, or can I just drive my track setup there and back? I get that for many people, this probably isn't an issue. Unfortunately, I live in San Diego, which means it's a solid 3-4 hours to get to most tracks. I don't really want to make this drive on the morning of my track day, which means my car then needs to sit overnight somewhere near the venue, loaded with a bunch of expensive gear. For that reason, it's pretty important for me to understand the pros and cons of driving my track tires on the street, and/or driving my track tires in the wet (albeit perhaps for different reasons than you mean in your reply). The V730's I have are much cheaper than my PS4S, but from what I understand, the V730 will wear much more on my drive to and from the track than my PS4S will. To that end, I am just trying to understand:

1. Can I drive 200 TW on the freeway in the rain? It sounds like I can drive them on the track, so presumably conservative highway driving is a non-factor, but please correct me if I am wrong.

I changed tires at the track last time, and honestly, it was a pain in the ass. I get that it doesn't seem like a big deal, but after an entire day of lapping sessions, I really did not enjoy having to strip off all my wheels, change them, bag them back up, load them in the car, break down all my gears... etc., etc. All while they're filthy as fuck, and everything is hot as hell. It was just annoying, on top of all the other work it takes to make it happen in the first place.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
I mean, I would agree that it doesn't matter how loud they are when you're driving them on track, but I have to imagine that there are a lot of people out there who have gone through the exact same dilemma I am going through now with my tire setups: Do I want to haul a second set of tires all the way to the track, or can I just drive my track setup there and back? I get that for many people, this probably isn't an issue. Unfortunately, I live in San Diego, which means it's a solid 3-4 hours to get to most tracks. I don't really want to make this drive on the morning of my track day, which means my car then needs to sit overnight somewhere near the venue, loaded with a bunch of expensive gear. For that reason, it's pretty important for me to understand the pros and cons of driving my track tires on the street, and/or driving my track tires in the wet (albeit perhaps for different reasons than you mean in your reply). The V730's I have are much cheaper than my PS4S, but from what I understand, the V730 will wear much more on my drive to and from the track than my PS4S will. To that end, I am just trying to understand:

1. Can I drive 200 TW on the freeway in the rain? It sounds like I can drive them on the track, so presumably conservative highway driving is a non-factor, but please correct me if I am wrong.

I changed tires at the track last time, and honestly, it was a pain in the ass. I get that it doesn't seem like a big deal, but after an entire day of lapping sessions, I really did not enjoy having to strip off all my wheels, change them, bag them back up, load them in the car, break down all my gears... etc., etc. All while they're filthy as fuck, and everything is hot as hell. It was just annoying, on top of all the other work it takes to make it happen in the first place.
I have the same dilemma as I suspect most of the folks who track. I only live 50 miles from my home track so its not that big a deal. However I just returned from a track that was 200 miles away. That all said there's really no problem driving on the street with most of the tires just that the tires won't last as long due to the additional mileage.

Might I suggest that you drive there on different tires, change to your track tires before you start, then leave them on for the trip home. Only other way is to bring your own track crew lol.
Sponsored