Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
We know there are tons! of setups already mounted on good ol CTR but since we have this new shiny section, can you all share what you're wearing to the track. I've seen some concerning reports (threads) after a single track day with oem tires being destroyed which now puts me on this new quest to find something I could push to the limit at the track. Its annoying to find more and more things Honda truly did not care about when building this fabulous track car. "Oh yeah don't forget before you hit the track, take care of the overheating, change the wheel tire combo..." Enough ranting.:(

Track only setups, anything else, you know where it goes.

Lighter than stock, stronger, smaller and very functional.. non of that rubbing at full lock.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yomny

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I'm really against buying new wheels for the car, mainly because of the cost plus having to buy a brand new set of tires. Additionally, its always a gamble on getting the correct size and how it'll handle afterwards. Anyone just bought better track tires with OEM wheels? Seems we could get a good set of PSS for around $1300 plus install and balance on a 245/35/20.

Any thoughts?

Jpembry

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Per my research on this forum there are people running stock wheels/tires and not destroying them on track, however it seems the majority of people shred them in 1 day even with different tires (PS4S, Cup 2).

I decided that it was worth it to bite the bullet and downsize to 18’s for a variety of reasons and I have no regrets spending the money up front (purchased the same week as the car). I went with the popular setup of 18x9.5+45. Enkei GTC02, flow formed and relatively light, and not terribly expensive.

OP
OP
Yomny

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Per my research on this forum there are people running stock wheels/tires and not destroying them on track, however it seems the majority of people shred them in 1 day even with different tires (PS4S, Cup 2).

I decided that it was worth it to bite the bullet and downsize to 18’s for a variety of reasons and I have no regrets spending the money up front (purchased the same week as the car). I went with the popular setup of 18x9.5+45. Enkei GTC02, flow formed and relatively light, and not terribly expensive.
What exactly is the reason for oem tires being shredded, is it the 20” or lack of sidewall, or just the crappy soft oem rubber. I was considering 35 profile pilot super sport for the stock 20s.

Those wheels are nice, got any pics?

Jpembry

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
What exactly is the reason for oem tires being shredded, is it the 20” or lack of sidewall, or just the crappy soft oem rubber. I was considering 35 profile pilot super sport for the stock 20s.

Those wheels are nice, got any pics?
I would do some searching to find some of the specific threads, but it’s a combination of the lack of actual sidewall and the lack of stiffness in the little sidewall that is there. Additionally the lack of negative camber in the front suspension is a contributing factor.

Honda Civic 10th gen Track specific Wheel/Tire setup FFDE4747-AFF0-41CC-88E2-E5AE755CC91F
Honda Civic 10th gen Track specific Wheel/Tire setup 488677D6-8384-4311-9CF0-EA6BB6077EB0

OP
OP
Yomny

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I would do some searching to find some of the specific threads, but it’s a combination of the lack of actual sidewall and the lack of stiffness in the little sidewall that is there. Additionally the lack of negative camber in the front suspension is a contributing factor.

FFDE4747-AFF0-41CC-88E2-E5AE755CC91F.jpeg
488677D6-8384-4311-9CF0-EA6BB6077EB0.jpeg
Amazing looking ride bro, what tire specs if you don’t mind? Love the look on your wheel size.

Jpembry

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Amazing looking ride bro, what tire specs if you don’t mind? Love the look on your wheel size.
Thanks! They are 255/40/18 PS4S. I only do a few HPDE per year so I needed a tire that was tolerable on the street.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
The better performance of 200 UTQG tire as well as its longevity and ability to handle heat while being consistent is important to me. I use Titan 7 wheels which are nice and light in 18 x 9.5 size and either 265/35 or 275/35 tires. Right now I have Hankook RS4s and Nitto NT-01s. Neither are as fast as the new Falken RT 660 or Yoko A052s but last longer than either. If the track is close by,I can drive the Hankooks to the track but if I have to travel further, the car can carry 4 tires and a reasonable jack easily. Remember that aftermarket wheels may need centering rings ( the Titan 7s don't) and different lug nuts than Honda OEM.

OP
OP
Yomny

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
The better performance of 200 UTQG tire as well as its longevity and ability to handle heat while being consistent is important to me. I use Titan 7 wheels which are nice and light in 18 x 9.5 size and either 265/35 or 275/35 tires. Right now I have Hankook RS4s and Nitto NT-01s. Neither are as fast as the new Falken RT 660 or Yoko A052s but last longer than either. If the track is close by,I can drive the Hankooks to the track but if I have to travel further, the car can carry 4 tires and a reasonable jack easily. Remember that aftermarket wheels may need centering rings ( the Titan 7s don't) and different lug nuts than Honda OEM.
Good stuff right there, appreciate all the input. I def want something I coulddrive on the street with absolute confidence. I’ll also be doing about 6 HPDE a year or so.
I was considering the Apex EC-7 wheel but wanted something a bit more economical, can’t have it all lol, cheap and track friendly don’t quite go hand in hand.

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
WHEELS: Enkei TS5 18X9.5 +45. Roughly $1000 for a set of 4 delivered. Lighter than stock. Wider than stock. No rubbing.

Remember to pick up hub centric rings for these wheels...72.6 to 64.1 if I remember right...set of 4 metal ones are $10 on amazon.

TIRES: Hankook RS4 if you want your tires to last. YOKO A052 if you want to go fast and don't care about $.

There are a couple different Enkei wheel options that fit our car and are cheap.

I like mine so far...cheap and fairly light. Not as good looking as the Volks or the Titans, but you will save $1000-$2000.

Honda Civic 10th gen Track specific Wheel/Tire setup 78236

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I think the ideal track wheel is something flow formed or forged that allows it to be light but also strong. With a higher offset as well to reduce any possibility of torque steer.

As far as tires go, you can really get away with anything, from 200aa tires to a set of 300s like Michelin P4S, it just all depends on your level of driving. you might find yourself hitting the limits of the 300s quick, or maybe the 200s cover up for bad technique. Either way, the 200s will definitely wear faster so youll get less out of them but theyre gonna be a ton grippier.

I hear the Falken RT660 is an excellent tire, with a very stiff sidewall so that will probably be my next tire as I look to move from doing autox oriented events to a combination of that with HPDE.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Good stuff right there, appreciate all the input. I def want something I coulddrive on the street with absolute confidence. I’ll also be doing about 6 HPDE a year or so.
I was considering the Apex EC-7 wheel but wanted something a bit more economical, can’t have it all lol, cheap and track friendly don’t quite go hand in hand.
Look at the Konig Ampliform Wheels. For around a grand, theyre all about 21lbs a piece and flow formed. Otherwise you might look towards Super Speed wheels that are also flow formed for around the same price and weight.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
My set up is listed below. I plan to get Yokohama A052's next as I want max grip, rarely drive the car on track during summer months due to the overheating issue so only in cooler months I will probably run. Currently running the Falken RT660's on my S2000 and I was able to run a full 30 to 40 minute session at Mid Ohio with zero to little fall off for like 20 laps straight. Looking at the times I was within hundreths of a second of my consistent laps without traffic.

SSR Type C 18X9.5+38
Bridgestone RE71R 275/35/18

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I always think of the Yokohama A052 and Bridgestone RE-71R as autocross tires. I suspect the new Continental will be similar. They are wickedly fast for a short time and then overheat for track use. I remember some Corvette owners saying that the RE-71R was good for about 4 hours of track time and they were toast. The Yoko is very light weight but has a softer sidewall and needs a ton of camber.

I was really hoping to use Falken RT660s for this season of time-attack competition. Heavier, but stiffer sidewall and a compound that is a bit tougher than the other 2. OTOH, they were sold out when I needed them and I ended up with the old reliable Hankook RS4. Not overly fast but more consistent and long wearing. I also have a set of Nitto NT-01s. Definitely not fast but very reliable and can handle heat very well. Great for lapping days but not very streetable so I take them to the track in the hatch and put them on there. You certainly won't set any lap records with either the RS4 or NT-01 but you can't "win" a track day so being 1-2 seconds slower is not important if you are not competing.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I always think of the Yokohama A052 and Bridgestone RE-71R as autocross tires. I suspect the new Continental will be similar. They are wickedly fast for a short time and then overheat for track use. I remember some Corvette owners saying that the RE-71R was good for about 4 hours of track time and they were toast. The Yoko is very light weight but has a softer sidewall and needs a ton of camber.

I was really hoping to use Falken RT660s for this season of time-attack competition. Heavier, but stiffer sidewall and a compound that is a bit tougher than the other 2. OTOH, they were sold out when I needed them and I ended up with the old reliable Hankook RS4. Not overly fast but more consistent and long wearing. I also have a set of Nitto NT-01s. Definitely not fast but very reliable and can handle heat very well. Great for lapping days but not very streetable so I take them to the track in the hatch and put them on there. You certainly won't set any lap records with either the RS4 or NT-01 but you can't "win" a track day so being 1-2 seconds slower is not important if you are not competing.
I think it all depends on the level and seriousness of tracking.

For someone that has a track dedicated car and wants to go out and win trophies, the cost of a set of 200aa A052 or RE71 for a track day or two might be worth it, but perhaps for the enthusiast it may not be. Me personally, Id like to get as many track days out of a set as possible since its a hobby. Heck for classing purposes, 200aa is the softest some people might be able to run.

Ive heard the RT615k and RS4 are both great tires in terms of how they wear while also remaining sticky.

just a random thought..

and on a side note why the hell are the new Contis so damn pricey.
Sponsored