Today, JD Power on USA Today Listed Top Quality Cars - Sad Honda not on it?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Initial quality favors models that are late into their design cycle, which is typically 5-6 years. By the 4th to 5th year, a manufacturer has worked out a lot of the bugs that are synonymous with newer models. Some very early mechanical hiccups with the Civic, combined with infotainment issues across models, kept Honda off the list this year.

CN: Nothing too noteworthy here.
Sponsored

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Are little turbo engines as reliable in the long run as a larger naturally aspirated engine?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Actually, yes! Though there are more intricacies to go wrong, they are more reliable than they were in the '80s and '90s, where they were only if you took proper precautions.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Are little turbo engines as reliable in the long run as a larger naturally aspirated engine?
These days the difference is negligible. All other things held equal, a motor that operates at higher RPMs will naturally wear faster. And smaller motors are specifically geared to see higher average RPMs over their lifecycle (based on the power curve).

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I take what jd power says with a grain of salt. Some of the shit, and I do mean shit, they pick I wouldn't give $20 for.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Well, it is 'initial' quality. So, like buying furniture from the Dollar Store, it's great! Then, when it's falling apart a month later...

slick316

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, 2017 Mercedes E300 4Matic
Country flag
That JD Powers Initial Quality study is utter garbage. They basically rank the cars on how many "problems" they've had in the first 90 days of ownership. Even though 90 days isn't a long time, the biggest issue is what JD Powers considers a problem, "I can't connect my phone to the car via bluetooth" and "My transmission failed and needed to be replaced" are both listed as "problems". These two issues aren't part of the same category even if JD Powers wants us to think they are.

Its an absolutely stupid test that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That JD Powers Initial Quality study is utter garbage. They basically rank the cars on how many "problems" they've had in the first 90 days of ownership. Even though 90 days isn't a long time, the biggest issue is what JD Powers considers a problem, "I can't connect my phone to the car via bluetooth" and "My transmission failed and needed to be replaced" are both listed as "problems". These two issues aren't part of the same category even if JD Powers wants us to think they are.

Its an absolutely stupid test that shouldn't be taken seriously.
100% this. Every little relatively minor thing that doesn't affect a car's true reliability is a "problem".

"Why doesn't it have power lumbar and memory seats like the Accord?" Problem.

"The seat's uncomfortable" Problem.

"Why does the head unit have to boot up?" Problem.

"Why does my MPG go down in the city?" Problem.

"I don't like the styling" Problem.

"Why doesn't it shift like my old car did? This feels weird" Problem.

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
100% this. Every little relatively minor thing that doesn't affect a car's true reliability is a "problem".

"Why doesn't it have power lumbar and memory seats like the Accord?" Problem.

"The seat's uncomfortable" Problem.

"Why does the head unit have to boot up?" Problem.

"Why does my MPG go down in the city?" Problem.

"I don't like the styling" Problem.

"Why doesn't it shift like my old car did? This feels weird" Problem.
"it's too big" problem.

"it's too small" problem.

honestly people try their best to find what's wrong with this car and honestly when it comes with a 6 speed manual there will be no longer any big reason to dislike this car other than small things.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I just emailed J D Powers and suggested that they don't know what they're talking about. In their quality ratings they rate Chrysler products equal to or better than Honda. Really? Dodge Dart is better than the new civic? Chrysler products have always been generally regarded,more or less, as unreliable garbage. They rate Ford and Chevy equal to or better than Honda. They rate Nissan superior to Honda. Every person I know who has ever owned a new Nissan,including me, has decided that they'll never buy another one.

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
I just emailed J D Powers and suggested that they don't know what they're talking about. In their quality ratings they rate Chrysler products equal to or better than Honda. Really? Dodge Dart is better than the new civic? Chrysler products have always been generally regarded,more or less, as unreliable garbage. They rate Ford and Chevy equal to or better than Honda. They rate Nissan superior to Honda. Every person I know who has ever owned a new Nissan,including me, has decided that they'll never buy another one.
I fully agree with the Nissan comment. I loved my nissan for about 60 days. After that every clip broke, seat fell apart and numerous suspension issues. All prior to 70,000 and right at the 2year mark. These weren't QC issues but poor choices in material. But, I do think the JD has a lot of merit and is reflecting our current position. As stated. This report is the initial 90 day ownership. There are other metrics they use as well. What this one helps to indicate is how much product is escaping the plant to predict internal QC limitations. As stated, this is hard to measure apple for Apple. The gen10 is not only a brand new design but a shift in manufacturing materials and process. Our 5 star crash test is the first to reap the benefits. Our QC is steadily leveling back and will return to stellar. One thing Honda does not like is to shift technology until it has proved itself. As for the report, a comparison breakdown of model change history would help to spread light on it.

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
It's well known that Kia and Hyundai have designed to please the JD Power survey. And it's well accepted that people who invest more in a "luxury" vehicle are not going to report problems publicly.

If anyone thinks Chrysler is more "reliable" or "better quality" than Honda, they deserve their fate.

Frozen Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
Any study that has all of Fiat Chrysler over Japanese brands is kind of fishy. I keep my cars for a minimum of 9 years, not 90 days.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
I've had my Civic EX coupe one month now and answered there questions a week ago. Just 800 miles on the car. My only complaint was there so called "premium" stereo. The rest of the car is fantastic for the money. I also have a 16 EX sedan that had an issue with the AC leaking but other than that it's been flawless.
Sponsored