Got a safety recall notice from Honda today........

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got this in the mail and I thinking, WTF is the problem, and upon opening it, I could see immediately that it's for an airbag issue.
Well, turned out it isn't for my car but my son's 1996 Civic. This car is over 20 years old, and he hasn't even had it for FIVE YEARS!
Why is he just now being notified about this, I know it's no secret about the airbag issues?
This kind of a delay for a life threatening defect is just unacceptable in my opinion.
He totaled the car, and no the airbag did not inflate, thank God he had no injuries.
Sorry about the rant, just one of those things that ticks me off.
Sponsored

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...kata-airbag-inflators/Vb32ipwTeQoErHB4UxNrcM/

I can't find the more detailed article I read when the news first broke, but I believe this was due to deterioration over time from the heat and humidity. Hence why 20 year old cars are getting notices now instead of when they were new, also they probably had no idea until now. I know that doesn't help your son though, but glad he didn't suffer any injuries due to this.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...kata-airbag-inflators/Vb32ipwTeQoErHB4UxNrcM/

I can't find the more detailed article I read when the news first broke, but I believe this was due to deterioration over time from the heat and humidity. Hence why 20 year old cars are getting notices now instead of when they were new, also they probably had no idea until now. I know that doesn't help your son though, but glad he didn't suffer any injuries due to this.
Thanks! I didn't realize this was a new recall, thought it was part of that first one years ago.
I like how they say parts won't be available for a year, so do they really expect people to drive around for a year knowing they could be killed due to some safety defect??

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks! I didn't realize this was a new recall, thought it was part of that first one years ago.
I like how they say parts won't be available for a year, so do they really expect people to drive around for a year knowing they could be killed due to some safety defect??
people have been driving around for 20 years on faulty takata air bags.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
people have been driving around for 20 years on faulty takata air bags.
Yes, but it's a different story when you know there's something two feet in front of you that can throw metal pieces into you and kill you every time you get in your car, lol

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes, but it's a different story when you know there's something two feet in front of you that can throw metal pieces into you and kill you every time you get in your car, lol
that is the rare case, mostly slow to inflate

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I had a 96 civic back in 2008-2010 that had an airbag issue. The SRS light was always on so I expected the airbags just weren't going to work in a crash.

The car, even in 2008, had 280,000 miles or so and was literally decaying due to living it's entire life in Arizona sun.

Interesting to know it would be getting fixed now if I still had it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I had recalls for all Japanese cars I owned. I don't count on any airbags to work perfectly or at all.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they explode when they are not supposed to. Anyone who knows how they work will not trust airbags 100%.

After buying my CRV time ago, I went for the "New Owners" meeting at the dealer, where they give away some goodies and tell you to please come to their shop for maintenance. The fun part was supposed to be a demonstration of an air bag explosion. They took an airbag, connected some wires, and.....they were unable to make it work to a great disappointment of everyone. They said it was a "Toyota airbag."

Btw. the airbags in my CRV were replaced long time ago because of the recall.
Sponsored