Today, JD Power on USA Today Listed Top Quality Cars - Sad Honda not on it?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
If you look after them, they can last pretty long if nothing major goes on them... The big thing with JD Power is you have tons of people used to high quality cars being very critical of flaws, or even perceived faults, in nicer vehicles. Then you have tons that have only ever had clunkers, or no exposure to nicer cars at all... They've just managed to scrape together enough for a new Kia or Hyundai. Of COURSE they're going to glow about it! It's better than anything else they've had...

Not to say the Koreans haven't come a long way. They have. Can't beat them for the money. But if you know enough to look for what's underneath the fancy toys and chrome trim...
Sponsored

Last edited:

deputy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
If you look after them, they can last pretty long if nothing major goes on them... The big thing with JD Power is you have tons of people used to high quality cars being very critical of flaws, or even perceived faults, in nicer vehicles. Then you have tons that have only ever had clunkers, or no exposure to nicer cars at all... They've just managed to scrape together enough for a new Kia or Hyundai. Of COURSE they're going to blow about it! It's better than anything else they've had...

Not to say the Koreans haven't come a long way. They have. Can't beat them for the money. But if you know enough to look for what's underneath the fancy toys and chrome trim...
I think a better gauge of quality is to look at long term reliability ( five or more years) and resale value. On those fronts, Honda is hard to beat. Are they perfect? No. I had my screen replaced within the first ninety days, so obviously I didn't get the perfect car. But I would be willing to bet I'll have more years of trouble free driving than the majority of Kia owners. Plus, when it comes time to sell, my Civic Touring Sedan will be worth more than their comparable Kia.

HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA

Just a dude from Atlanta.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC COUPE EX-T
Residual resale value always will be Honda and Acura's biggest selling point. Number reason I traded my 2013 Fusion in. Rental fieets destroy market values for most of the cars JD list on the survey.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
this study is initial quality. my mom just paid 2800 to replace her blown engine in Elantra.

as others have said, the resale value on Korean cars is much lower no matter what these initial studies says

Scoby151

Scoby151
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Today, JD Powers on USA Today Listed Top Quality Cars - Sad that Honda not on it?

I love to read USA Today and when JD Powers release reports. Sadly, today was a realization that a comment made by some friends came true.

Honda is not on the list for the first time. Do you find Honda is losing the QC segment. If so, why.

There are points in every car that have it weakness, but in my Civic, there are much fewer that some mentioned in the article.

Also, with the complete rankings, Honda is way down the list toward the crappy cars. Don't understand it.

But I think fit & finish is one main problems the pro are seeing now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...y-brand-ever-now-tops-quality-study/86245314/

PS, Kia was listed as the best......What
I traded my 2012 Kia Optima sx 2.0 turbo in on my 16 civic touring.

Pros of Kia:
-Sound system blows civics away even on the touring
-Power, not really fair to compare since its a 2.0
- back up camera was light years better
- seats were much more comfortable and had cooling and heating and honestly the civic electric motors on the seats sound like they are cheap and may not last
- the info system was much easier to use, I thought the Kia was bad till I got the civic, it's really busy and very laggy for a car that 4 years newer
- it had a volume button!!!!
- it had a few physical buttons like fan speed and nav that made it much easier to use
- loved the panoramic sun roof was really cool
- the driver seat would go all the way back when your turned the car off and reposition after starting

Civic pros
- mpg!!! Averages 26 to 28 in my optima and get around 35 to 38 in the civic
-lane assist
- the civic handling is much better than the Kia's
- the car is much quieter
- the electronic power steering is much better than on the Kia
- apple car play is awesome even know the audio book app doesn't work
- like the looks of the civic
- power is decent for a 1.5 and I can cruise at 85 without issues
- I love the auto lock and unlock

I drive around 600 miles a week and have around 2000 miles on my civic. I like it alot but it came up short on quiet a few features. My kia wasn't even the SXL and I'm comparing a car that's four years older. My kia had a few issues while owning it. First the temp sensor malfunction at 70k and cost me 500 and a week later the seat heater went out and cost me and additional 400. The car also had an alignment issues and wore out new set of tires which needed to be replaced again. So my decision to go with the civic was because of honda rep and hoping that I can get 200k plus out of it. So yes I could see why kia would be listed above he civic. One last rant, in the email this week about how the homda civics hood feels this, I totally agree, I think pea size hail would total this car where my kia optima body felt solid.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
"Power is decent for a 1.5..." Err... 175hp is AMAZING for a 1.5, seeing as most NA 1.8s manage 140, and the 2.0 in that Kia was probably rated at 160 if it didn't have a turbocharger...

Scoby151

Scoby151
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
"Power is decent for a 1.5..." Err... 175hp is AMAZING for a 1.5, seeing as most NA 1.8s manage 140, and the 2.0 in that Kia was probably rated at 160 if it didn't have a turbocharger...
Well if you did your research you would have noticed that the SX modle is a 2 liter that runs around 17 pounds of boost... As does every 2 liter that's made today and it's rated at around 275 with around 270 ft pounds of tourq. My kia would smoke my new civic... But I knew going in that i was going to give up some hp, i was more disappointed in how the new civic was lacking in a few departments.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well if you did your research you would have noticed that the SX modle is a 2 liter that runs around 17 pounds of boost... As does every 2 liter that's made today and it's rated at around 275 with around 270 ft pounds of tourq. My kia would smoke my new civic... But I knew going in that i was going to give up some hp, i was more disappointed in how the new civic was lacking in a few departments.
Why would I bother researching your old Kia? ;) Yes, turbo 2L... good power, not as great economy... But addicting! Still surprises me they get so much more than 200HP from them these days under warranty. I don't find the Civic 'lacking', really. Hyundai/Kia have traditionally always loaded their cars with toys to improve their perceived value. They tend to be dollar-store quality toys, but are getting better! The rise of Chinese/Korean quality electrics/electronics is seeing to that.

Scoby151

Scoby151
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Why would I bother researching your old Kia? ;) Yes, turbo 2L... good power, not as great economy... But addicting! Still surprises me they get so much more than 200HP from them these days under warranty. I don't find the Civic 'lacking', really. Hyundai/Kia have traditionally always loaded their cars with toys to improve their perceived value. They tend to be dollar-store quality toys, but are getting better! The rise of Chinese/Korean quality electrics/electronics is seeing to that.
Oh definitely! That's why I switched to honda. The only thing that really bothers me is for 27k the could have threw a great sound system in the thing! But the fuel economy is awesome !

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
If the 16 civic wasn't on the best cars list it only proves one thing: J. D. Powers doesn't know what they're talking about.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Nissan is getting 215hp out of a 1.6L turbo on the Nismo Juke. I thought that was pretty impressive as well.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
You buy MPG or you buy HP...can't have both...

Last edited:

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, you SORT of can. 4 cylinder gas mileage when you drive conservatively. 8 cylinder mileage when you drive it like a sports car...

Well, we know you 'can' get 1000hp out of a big turbo four if you run on the ragged edge, so 250-300 with a warranty shouldn't be that far-fetched...
Sponsored