Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
His car is fine. I looked at the log. Yes he was running a bit rich and those Injen induced STFT's were a bit of a mess but I doubt there's any long term issues.

He just needs to sell the Injen and the BOV and get a PRL Cobra or 27WON (with the street MAF since he has a base tune).
Sponsored

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
His car is fine. I looked at the log. Yes he was running a bit rich and those Injen induced STFT's were a bit of a mess but I doubt there's any long term issues.

He just needs to sell the Injen and the BOV and get a Cobra or 27WON (with the street MAF) if he's going with a base tune.
Good to know

Are there generally any long term consequences from either running too rich or too lean or specific issues that could arise?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Generically speaking, running lean is not good. Beyond a drop in performance, you can experience damage to the spark plugs, pistons, valves or catalytic converter. Fuel acts as a coolant as it enters the cylinder. Reduce the cooling effect, and temperatures inside the engine get too hot.
Although running rich is better/safer than running lean, there still can be long term issues. Fouled spark plugs, hesitation or straight up bogging when you floor it, Possible black smoke when revving from unburnt fuel in the exhaust, Damage to the catalytic converter over time, small loss in power, worse fuel economy.

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
It might be worth replacing your spark plugs, if it was running rich they might be fouled a bit causing misfires.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It might be worth replacing your spark plugs, if it was running rich they might be fouled a bit causing misfires.
That's the main long term effect that I would think about.

I asked about how long the OP had his intake, because sometimes there are installation issues that may show up shortly after. Maybe something fell off :D.

Otherwise, way rich conditions because of the MAF being way off may happen on startup or at full throttle, cause carbon deposits on spark plugs, and then cause misfires at any time, most likely at a time when actually running leaner.
Sponsored