Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
So after 3 weeks of putting the Phearable 1.5 non-Si through the wringer, it's time for the report card. This will be a direct comparison to the TSP 1 tune I ran for a very long time:

Note: I use 93 octane E10.

Idle: The slightly higher idle speed on the Phearable tune means slightly less shake while idling compared to TSP.

Part throttle lower rpm driving: This is where most of us spend our time. Just taking it easy around town. IMO, this is a wash. Both cars are nice and smooth.

Midrange power: Both tunes excel here. No complaints. Just gobs of torque.

Top end: Similar feel, but Phearable feels smoother on the power buildup (yet a touch more potent).

Fuel trims: TSP's trims are very good. Phearable's trims are nearly perfect.

Knock control: TSP gets a close win here. Phearable's knock control seems slightly more sensitive. Things also took a touch longer to stabilize after a WOT pull. My guess is that Phearable is running a bit more timing?

Now for the final scores. Phearable wins. It's an amazing tune. I dinged Phearable for the slightly higher knock control number after going WOT. TSP got dinged a bit for fuel trims and the lower idle speed. Phearable is also generally a bit smoother. Both are great tunes. Hats off the Derek and John.

TSP Stage 1 score: 91
Phearable Stage 1.5 score: 98

One other note:
While I prefer the Phearable 1.5 tune to the TSP 1, there is one caveat. You really need to use quality 93+ (or quality 91 octane with a splash of E85) to keep those knock control numbers down.
my question here is how do you know if your fuel is quality I try to either get VP racing or chevron non-ethanol supreme(premium) lmk what you think.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I personally think a top tier E10 93 octane gas is a good choice for our turbos.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your gas doesn't have ethanol in it?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All I'm saying is that our engines and fuel trims love ethanol.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Oh dang, I heard ethanol is bad for reliability?
When it comes to modern vehicles the minimal ethanol in pump gas is totally fine. The stigma of it being a reliability concern came from the early days of its mandated use where a lot of older cars would have gaskets being deteriorated. Not really a concern anymore.

I also live in a state that doesn't mandate ethanol in premium and above, we just have to make due with what we can get.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
When it comes to modern vehicles the minimal ethanol in pump gas is totally fine. The stigma of it being a reliability concern came from the early days of its mandated use where a lot of older cars would have gaskets being deteriorated. Not really a concern anymore.

I also live in a state that doesn't mandate ethanol in premium and above, we just have to make due with what we can get.
That makes sense, thank you for the reply!
Sponsored