Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Part 1

I've been running a one of a kind customized version of the TSP1 for about a year and a half. Let me explain my setup. The standard TSP non-Si tune has a factory-ish Map 1, 16.5 psi Map 2 and a 23.5 psi Map 3. I kind of felt like the spacing on the tune was odd. Map 1 and 2 are too close and there is a huge gap from Map 2 to Map 3.

My customized version has my Map 1 at 16.5 psi, Map 2 is 19 psi and Map 3 is 23.5 psi. That spacing is perfect for me and I've been very happy with it. Thank you, Derek. My only complaint with the tune is the somewhat sluggish throttle and low end feel compared to my aggressively set up KTuner 21. Power can be regulated with a deeper stab of the throttle, but still, the KTuner 21 felt more fun around town.

I've been hearing great things about John Vega's Phearable 1.5 non-Si tune so I finally decided it was time to compare it to my custom TSP1 tune. I really like the 15/20/24 psi power spacing of the Phearable tune. I did have two initial concerns though. One, I was disappointed that Map 1 was a low-ish 15 psi. And two, I wanted to see if the tune felt better overall down low than the TSP. I also wanted to see how knock control and fuel trims looked compared to TSP (I always run Sunoco 93 Ultra).

Ultimately, I wanted to see if I'd be happier sticking with my customized TSP1 or switching to the Phearable tune. After testing the Phearable 1.5 on my CVT EX-L sedan, here's my unbiased thoughts:

Right off the bat, I'll start with my perceived "disappointments". I started way back when with Hondata but hated the sluggish throttle. When I switched to KTuner, those throttle and turbo adjustments made a huge difference around town and low speed throttle feel was amazing. When I switched to TSP1, I was bummed how much softer the throttle felt. Well, I actually feel like Phearable's throttle response is slightly softer than TSP's. Yes, it's very smooth and it's being done to protect the CVT, but it does make for a less aggressive feel than I like around town. The other noticeable thing was that knock control was a bit more jumpy on Phearable. Just one WOT pull and it was mid 6's and came down noticeably slower than on TSP with the same Sunoco 93 I've always run. Basically, that's all I can complain about.

Overall, the Phearable 1.5 tune is excellent. Midrange power is solid and at anything past 70% throttle, it does scream. I'd even say it's a touch more potent up top than TSP 1's Map 3. I just wish it had a more snappy throttle feel than it does. Hopefully Ktuner will release that throttle quick adjustment soon on the locked tunes.

On the technical front, two things really impressed me. The slightly higher idle speed of 800-ish rpm (compared to TSP's 700-ish rpm) made things much less shaky at stoplights. Fuel trims were terrific, too. After pushing it quite hard for well over an hour in both city and highway situations (with some idling) trims were near perfect. I was impressed seeing LTFT at -2% at the end of the drive. Definitely better trims than I see on TSP.

So, is TSP or Phearable "better"? It's all subjective of course, but for those who like to switch maps, Phearable's 15/20/24 setup gets the nod, but it's very close. TSP's Map 1 and Map 2 are just too similar in my opinion. On the other hand, if you just run the high power Map 3, you absolutely can't go wrong with either tune.

10th gen turbo owners are really lucky to have these two outstanding aftermarket tunes available. From my personal experience, both companies also have outstanding customer service. - gtman
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Part 2

I went out on another drive just to verify a couple things. Yes, knock control is definitely a bit more jumpy compared to TSP when you put your foot into it. But, in normal commuter type driving it was staying at about .49 to .52 or so.

This thing has a REALLY nice pull above 3500 rpm. I embarrassed a last gen V6 Accord, and that was fun.

I'd say that the 20 psi Map 2 is an overall great everyday tune. But even the basic 15 psi Map 1 works well as an every day commuter. The 24 psi Map 3 will throw you in your seat when you floor it.

The one thing that is amazing is how dialed in fuel trims are. I just did another 40 minute drive and kept looking at LTFT on my V2 screen and it never budged from 0. That's never happened before. I was even wondering if somehow the sensor stopped working. When I got home I just idled for a couple minutes which ran a bit rich and LTFT nudge up to -1%. That's gotta be the most glaring difference compared to my TSP tune which generally hovers in the -4 to -7% range. Still decent but Phearable is outstanding.

Did I mention I'm getting used to the softer throttle? ;) Well done, John Vega.

Last edited:

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm custom tuned by @phearable multiple times, he's the only the one that's tuned my car since I've been tuned and continues to keep everything running right as my build grows. His knowledge and advice is great and he puts up with me (which is a plus, lol). All around great tunes. If you can try his custom tuning I'd go for it but the OTS tunes are so good too.

Joev492

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Very nice write up.
I'm custom tuned by @phearable multiple times, he's the only the one that's tuned my car since I've been tuned and continues to keep everything running right as my build grows. His knowledge and advice is great and he puts up with me (which is a plus, lol). All around great tunes. If you can try his custom tuning I'd go for it but the OTS tunes are so good too.
Have you used Dyno-tuning or the e-Tune service?

Trent m

First Name
Trenton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Ex
Country flag

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
LTFT fuel trims data collected same time of the day same climate season ?
but spot on 0 is VERY VERY good but imo within +/- 3% is considered VERY good & +/-5% is good.
i thought i read somewhere TSP tunes allows the quick adjustment not too long ago ?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
LTFT fuel trims data collected same time of the day same climate season ?
but spot on 0 is VERY VERY good but imo within +/- 3% is considered VERY good & +/-5% is good.
i thought i read somewhere TSP tunes allows the quick adjustment not too long ago ?
Only on Si platform. The base ECUs don't have it (yet?)

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Great evaluation, I agree Civic owners are spoiled by all the performance options we have, but then again that's why many people choose Civics :thumbsup:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a fantastic review. HUGE thanks for posting this up @gtman. I was planning on going the same route as you but comparing custom to custom. Your reviews are always awesome. Post up your Paypal so I can contribute something. ?

@booost I have been looking and asking around the forum and Facebook to gain some insight as to how Phearable's custom tune is. I'm looking forward to it. I DO NOT want a soft lowend though. Somewhere between mid-level aggressive and full out. I understand the consequences of the lowend torque on the CVT belt. Is your lowend soft (for preservation of CVT/Rods, or is it fairly aggressive?). @gtman and I both enjoy Ktuner's base map aggressive lowend. I want that because that's where I'm driving 95% of the time anyways.

Again, huge thanks for this review. I'll probably be re-reading it about 10x tonight and more as the days/weeks go by. ;)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Myx, thanks for the props. I think this Phearable tune is great, even though it doesn't have that punchy low end response I prefer. Based on this tune and the TSP CVT tune, it seems like pro tuners are just extra cautious with the low end torque/response to protect the CVT. And honestly, it's probably smart on their end.

But man, there was something really satisfying about taking a KTuner Starter 21 and cranking up part throttle turbo responsiveness and throttle response to the max. That was so much fun off the line and in city stop and go. The trade off was the very disappointing top end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One other surprising win for the Phearable tune. Gas mileage. I was noticing this yesterday but didn't want to post until my morning commute. I've been averaging maybe 34-35 on TSP commutes. I was at 38 on Phearable in the same traffic conditions and roads this morning. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This is a fantastic review. HUGE thanks for posting this up @gtman. I was planning on going the same route as you but comparing custom to custom. Your reviews are always awesome. Post up your Paypal so I can contribute something. ?

@booost I have been looking and asking around the forum and Facebook to gain some insight as to how Phearable's custom tune is. I'm looking forward to it. I DO NOT want a soft lowend though. Somewhere between mid-level aggressive and full out. I understand the consequences of the lowend torque on the CVT belt. Is your lowend soft (for preservation of CVT/Rods, or is it fairly aggressive?). @gtman and I both enjoy Ktuner's base map aggressive lowend. I want that because that's where I'm driving 95% of the time anyways.

Again, huge thanks for this review. I'll probably be re-reading it about 10x tonight and more as the days/weeks go by. ;)
Although I had an idea in my head of what I wanted, I felt it was best to just let John do his thing. I input what I would like to see but for me personally I know he has a lot more experience than I do and I don't want him to feel restraint to do exactly what I think because I could be completely wrong.

He'll get what your goals are and build around there. He's transparent if he think something may have an adverse effect. He has his stuff down to a science. Like I said, multiple times I've had to be retuned as I continue my build and he's the only one I personally trust to do it and he's done it for me since day 1.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Although I had an idea in my head of what I wanted, I felt it was best to just let John do his thing. I input what I would like to see but for me personally I know he has a lot more experience than I do and I don't want him to feel restraint to do exactly what I think because I could be completely wrong.

He'll get what your goals are and build around there. He's transparent if he think something may have an adverse effect. He has his stuff down to a science. Like I said, multiple times I've had to be retuned as I continue my build and he's the only one I personally trust to do it and he's done it for me since day 1.
My goal is to have an ordinary daily driver with good lowend torque. Also my goal is to kick arse throughout the whole 1/4 mile on Map 3. Good 60ft time, scary midrange and as good of a topend as you are going to get out of a stock turbo. I can beat a stock Type R now. I want a tune to be able to embarrass one from point A to point B, not just beat (Not from a roll. Don't be silly.. o_O) . The lowend and midrange will be key. Totally understand the drawback of the CVT belt and potential consequences of a TOO aggressive tune on the lowend. I want to be just beneath too aggressive or straddling that line. Not as soft as the masses but somewhere beneath the theoretical *oh shi* line, even crossing over a little. I am ok with that.

If I have to get a new CVT, I'll get a used one. So be it!

I hope that's not too much to ask @phearable :drive:?

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Thanks for the review Mitch.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying the tune and can feel the added power from our tune.

My goal with off the shelf tunes is to offer a tune which makes safe, repeatable, reliable power.

Every driver will have a different preference on what they like.
Me & the testers for the Stage 1.5 tune prefer the way our stage 1.5 tune drives over any other ktuner basemap or off the shelf tune.

If you want a custom throttle response, more aggressive lower rpm torque or any other customized setting I would recommend looking into a custom etune service we offer on our website :)
Sponsored