theblackdogman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I will be purchasing the Non-SI Race tune today from Pherable. I'm curious to know what throttle response settings are available. I've been running TSP1 map 3 for about 46k miles now and I know they are disabled with this tune.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC, Factory, Improved I and Improved II.

Side note: You last added a new post in my reliability thread back in April 2021. Any chance of you doing a new update post there?

theblackdogman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
IIRC, Factory, Improved I and Improved II.

Side note: You last added a new post in my reliability thread back in April 2021. Any chance of you doing a new update post there?
Interesting. Improved 2 even with the tune. That is good to know.

Yes sir. I don't mind a bit.

zebayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic RS Hatchback 2017
Country flag
Any chance Phearable can make the tune available for international customers ?
Hey Leeti, I'm interested in the phearable tune too. I have an aussi '17 rs. Were you able to try it ? how did it go ? any features missing or problems ?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any 1/4 mile and/or Dragy comparison results of the the Phearable vs TSP tunes?

Ja87sm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 ex-t 6mt
Country flag
I’m interested in the draggy results as well

Pandatouring

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey everyone, apologies for writing on an old thread, I felt this one may be the most relevant. First off just wanted to say i’ve been a long time lurker and i’ve probably read this thread about 15 times before deciding on ordering KTuner yesterday. A big thank you to @gtman and everyone else who has contributed. I have a few questions that I would love answered and if here isn’t the right place maybe someone can direct me.

1) I see a lot of the talk about the CVT reliability with these tunes and it’s pretty established at this point that these tunes have been made as safe as they can be for the CVT. My question is regarding the stock engine but most importantly the turbo. How much are our turbos capable of handling before dealing with issues? I have a 2016 Civic Touring sedan if that helps. Looking at most likely running the Phearable 20 PSI daily but may jump to 24 for highway pulls etc.

2) I checked my ECU part # and it is 5AA-C65 (Canadian model) which is not on the Phearable compatibility list. I reached out and they told me there’s a 90% chance my ECU is using the 5AA-C66 software which is compatible and that the hardware # isn’t always the same as the software. I took the chance and still ordered the tune from them so I guess i’m now just hoping to find out my software #. Anyone have experience with this? Am I out of luck if it isn’t compatible? Is there a way to check without KTuner (OBD2)?

3) I know 93 is recommended but i’m planning on mostly running 91, I don’t know too much about knock control and all of that stuff, do higher knock levels affect the internals or is it more of a higher knock = more knock retard = less power situation

4) Last question is about switching maps. I ordered the V1.2 and TSP told me that I need the device in to switch maps, but seems like Phearable can switch maps without the Ktuner plugged in, but when I turn the car off it will always default to map 1. Is this correct? Also for switching maps do you need to be parked or in certain position, or can you be driving e.g. on the highway on map 2 and then switch to map 3 while in drive and it will still activate?

Apologies for all the questions, once again I am new and a lot of you have experience I would love to hear from.

Thanks in advance to whoever may be able to help!! Hope everyone is having a great weekend

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding #1, #3 and #4...

I know a bit about reliability. Your sedan will be fine on any of the OTS tunes. Just don't abuse your CVT by brake launching.

The tunes definitely have more stable knock control on 93. Running 91 will retard timing a bit meaning a bit less power.

Once you upload a tune the device doesn't need to stay plugged in. You've flashed your ECU with the new tune. You can toggle between maps with the cc buttons. If you do keep it plugged in, one advantage is the car will start in whatever map it was previously on when you turned off the engine. With it not plugged in, it will revert to map 1 at start up.

Last edited:

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Gonna bump this thread again.

Thinking about finally taking the plunge and buying a Ktuner 1.2 (I have one of those aftermarket android headunits so I can run Tunerview on the headunit if I want/need to), I've put 93 Octane in the last 2 fill ups, first was half a tank, second fill up was 3/4 of a tank, so it's mostly 93 now.

got a couple questions first:

1. Phearable 1.5 non-si still the preferred tune for daily driver 2016 CVT EX-T with 93 Octane and NO E85 anywhere remotely close? This will effect who I buy the ktuner from.
2. I see one comment where you talk about running on Map 1 while warming up then switching to another map, is that to reduce knock during warmup or some other issue?
3.from what I can tell my ECU isn't on the "on the fly map switching" list, are there instructions on how to set what Map to use when flashing a tune? Never tuned a car but have flashed many android devices in the past.
4. Does the car warm up faster in the winter? when we get to near freezing temperatures (like sub 40*F) the car takes 5-10 minutes to warm up enough to actually run the heat without the engine cooling off and losing heat from the vents. (honestly wishing this car came with a block heater).

Daro

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 turbo CVT internacional
Country flag
Hey everyone, apologies for writing on an old thread, I felt this one may be the most relevant. First off just wanted to say i’ve been a long time lurker and i’ve probably read this thread about 15 times before deciding on ordering KTuner yesterday. A big thank you to @gtman and everyone else who has contributed. I have a few questions that I would love answered and if here isn’t the right place maybe someone can direct me.

1) I see a lot of the talk about the CVT reliability with these tunes and it’s pretty established at this point that these tunes have been made as safe as they can be for the CVT. My question is regarding the stock engine but most importantly the turbo. How much are our turbos capable of handling before dealing with issues? I have a 2016 Civic Touring sedan if that helps. Looking at most likely running the Phearable 20 PSI daily but may jump to 24 for highway pulls etc.

2) I checked my ECU part # and it is 5AA-C65 (Canadian model) which is not on the Phearable compatibility list. I reached out and they told me there’s a 90% chance my ECU is using the 5AA-C66 software which is compatible and that the hardware # isn’t always the same as the software. I took the chance and still ordered the tune from them so I guess i’m now just hoping to find out my software #. Anyone have experience with this? Am I out of luck if it isn’t compatible? Is there a way to check without KTuner (OBD2)?

3) I know 93 is recommended but i’m planning on mostly running 91, I don’t know too much about knock control and all of that stuff, do higher knock levels affect the internals or is it more of a higher knock = more knock retard = less power situation

4) Last question is about switching maps. I ordered the V1.2 and TSP told me that I need the device in to switch maps, but seems like Phearable can switch maps without the Ktuner plugged in, but when I turn the car off it will always default to map 1. Is this correct? Also for switching maps do you need to be parked or in certain position, or can you be driving e.g. on the highway on map 2 and then switch to map 3 while in drive and it will still activate?

Apologies for all the questions, once again I am new and a lot of you have experience I would love to hear from.

Thanks in advance to whoever may be able to help!! Hope everyone is having a great weekend
Hi, how are you? How was your experience with the melody?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nonya ---

1. I prefer the Phearable tunes over TSP because I get better fuel trims and it's a smoother feel overall. If you go Phearable, you want the R tune because it removes the artificial rise in high rpm knock control that's built into the non-Sis.

2. Some people do that, I don't. I just take it easy and try not to go above 3,000 rpm tops until the car is warmed up.

3. If you don't have map switching only the 24 psi map 3 will be available. But understand this. All the boost is controlled by your right foot. In other words, you aren't going to be using that kind of boost unless you are really gunning it.

4. I have seen slightly quicker warm up times on Phearable over stock due to the slightly higher idle speed.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
@gtman my ECU's part number sticker is a 5AA-A56 (car was purchased new in July of 2016 and to my knowledge has never seen the dealer since), the only 5AA-A5x listed on the 1.5 Race is the 5AA-A57 and I saw another post on here from a few years ago the other day where someone had tried flashing an A57 tune to an A56 and had all kinds of issues but the A55 tune worked.

maybe i'm just in my own head too much but I notice on the standard phearable 1.5 it says in the fine print that A56 can use A55 or A57 but the Race 1.5 doesn't have that same fine print on it's compatibility chart maybe @phearable can clear this one up for me.
Sponsored