First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1 year after purchasing my SI the front brakes started making noise. Thought it was odd since there was only 8K miles on the car. At the time my commute was long and there was a lot of stop and go bumper to bumper traffic. (LA 405 FWY)

Took it to the Honda Dealer and they said it was because of the disc brake over heating due to abusive wear and tear by either “Track or Canyon racing” were the words the rep used. I laughed because I thought he was joking. I told him that I had never raced the car in my life and in fact babied the car which is true. Unfortunately, due the “abusive” wear and tear Honda warranty did not cover the issue and I had to pay for the front over heated disc.

The only thing I think may have contributed was using the “Brake Hold” feature in traffic for very long commutes. Since replacing the front discs I have stopped using the “Brake Hold” button permanently. I now have 14k miles on the replacement discs brakes and there is no sign of overheating or heavy wear and tear. This is ironic since I’ve actually now started pushing the car just a little more due installing Ktuner earlier this year. Very little spirited driving.

Has anyone else had issues with using the “Brake Hold” feature on long heavy commutes? Thought it was odd.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rocketeer Cris
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
brake rotors and pads are wear items, they are not covered under warranty, and rightfully so
I agree but overheating disc brakes after a year commuting? I've had many other cars and I 've driven very similar commutes. I've never overheated disc brakes in just bumper to bumper traffic.

Was just wondering if the "Brake Hold" feature could have caused some of that?

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
I doubt brake hold had anything to do with it. The 10th gen civics do have issues with the hardware, however. I wonder if you had a pad binding up on the rotor....

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Were both rotors worn/warped?
Yes -> brake system malfunction or a left-foot braker riding the petal.
No -> binding caliper
In either case the car would feel "sluggish" or pull to one side if it was mechanical (and be a warrany item).

OP
OP
Rocketeer Cris
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I doubt brake hold had anything to do with it. The 10th gen civics do have issues with the hardware, however. I wonder if you had a pad binding up on the rotor....
Interesting. Since the car was still new I doubt they would have reported that since it would have implied some responsibility and instead blamed something else. I can see that happening for sure.

With that being said I no longer take the car to dealership. Found a local shop that does great work and have no longer had any issues since taking it there.

I was hoping the "Brake Hold" would not be the issue since I really like that feature just didn't know if others had seen a issue with that. Thanks again for the response.

OP
OP
Rocketeer Cris
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Were both rotors worn/warped?
Yes -> brake system malfunction or a left-foot braker riding the petal.
No -> binding caliper
In either case the car would feel "sluggish" or pull to one side if it was mechanical (and be a warrany item).
I like this logic flow. Both rotors were "Damaged" heating discoloration. I do my best to not ride the brake so I would like to think it was an issue with the brake system. Like I mentioned since replacing the disc and pads I've no issues at all and I do check my brakes often since having this issue. Now I just feel bad that the dealership got one over me and got out of paying for a mechanical issue.

Learned my lesson and no longer take my car to the dealer. Thanks again for the info. I

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
A couple nights ago I was flying down from the IE back to SFV* and I hit 120+ mph for the first time. As I hit the brakes to slow down, I felt and heard a very errant rumbling from the brakes. My brakes after that would then rumble when testing from 80 to 60 mph, testing it repeatedly. I cruised for a solid 10 minutes and didn't touch the brakes, and then it acted fine again. Ran back up to 100, slowed down again, and the rumble was back. Did this test 3 more times (with the cooldown period).

I have been wondering since then if the stock rotors/pads just aren't up to snuff and I've been looking at replacing my pads. I don't drive that fast often at all, but I'm afraid that they'll fail one of these times that I do.

*This particular stretch of freeway was empty across all 4 lanes, and nobody (but myself) was put in any potential risk. Wanted to say that because I hate people who bob and weave when the freeway is full.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you felt it in the brake pedal it was likely the ABS kicking in. Otherwise possible warped rotor.

OP
OP
Rocketeer Cris
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A couple nights ago I was flying down from the IE back to SFV* and I hit 120+ mph for the first time. As I hit the brakes to slow down, I felt and heard a very errant rumbling from the brakes. My brakes after that would then rumble when testing from 80 to 60 mph, testing it repeatedly. I cruised for a solid 10 minutes and didn't touch the brakes, and then it acted fine again. Ran back up to 100, slowed down again, and the rumble was back. Did this test 3 more times (with the cooldown period).

I have been wondering since then if the stock rotors/pads just aren't up to snuff and I've been looking at replacing my pads. I don't drive that fast often at all, but I'm afraid that they'll fail one of these times that I do.

*This particular stretch of freeway was empty across all 4 lanes, and nobody (but myself) was put in any potential risk. Wanted to say that because I hate people who bob and weave when the freeway is full.
Was that on the 71 FWY? I used to speed on that FWY back in the day because it was always empty until the CHP caught me slipping one day. Never received another speeding ticket since. Learned my lesson

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Was that on the 71 FWY? I used to speed on that FWY back in the day because it was always empty until the CHP caught me slipping one day. Never received another speeding ticket since. Learned my lesson
Yeah, I was driving down the 71/210 really early in the morning and usually I don't punch it until I see 2 cars speed past me. I give them a few minute lead and it gives me a little bit of room to think "if there is CHP here, it'll notice them first". It helps that both freeways don't leave much room for hiders. ?

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If you felt it in the brake pedal it was likely the ABS kicking in. Otherwise possible warped rotor.
Wouldn't the ABS light come on though? I've had an ABS incident before and the lights flashed on the dash.
Sponsored