shipdawg

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2004 WRX STi, & 2019 Honda HRV EX
Country flag
Has anyone replaced their stock brake pads with performance pads? Been doing a ton of canyon driving lately and need better pads. I already changed the brake fluid to DOT 5.1 to get the boiling point up.

So far I have been looking at the Optimum OEp Pads by R1 Concepts and the Hawk Brake Pads. Any experience with either of these brands or suggestions on other pads that you would recommend?
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I've used HPS in the past on the MS3. Slightly less initial bite, but very quiet and consistent.

I will probably do them again when it's time to swap out the OEM front pads.

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've looked through the autocross threads in the past and remember seeing brake pad discussions for DD, Track use, and Autocross. I'd try my luck in that section for brake pad comparisons if you havent already done so. From what i remember Stoptech was a well regarded pad.

OP
OP
shipdawg

shipdawg

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've looked through the autocross threads in the past and remember seeing brake pad discussions for DD, Track use, and Autocross. I'd try my luck in that section for brake pad comparisons if you havent already done so. From what i remember Stoptech was a well regarded pad.
Thanks! I'll dig a little deeper and see if I can find something. Searching hasn't proven too fruitful. Definitely will checkout Stoptech.

Last edited:

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah i started looking after your post and didnt find a whole lot lolol Down side to having a newer aftermarket car... Not as much R&D :/ I know 27WON is competing in SCCA Time Trials this year so im sure they will have a "break" down (sorry for the Dad joke lol) of their setup.

OP
OP
shipdawg

shipdawg

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know 27WON is competing in SCCA Time Trials this year so im sure they will have a "break" down (sorry for the Dad joke lol) of their setup.
Hopefully they have their brakes down so they don’t break down

SlowAP2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 04 S2K,
Country flag
Carbotec, Cobalt, and I believe gloc will make pads for anything if you send them a backing plate size. I'd avoid anything Hawk if you like your wheels, very corrosive. Any more aggressive pad will dust alot but some like cobalt and Hawk are corrosive dust that will eat your wheels. I'd like to try the Ferodo DS2500 for autox but don't think its made for our caliper.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I disagree, almost no pad is corrosive to the point that a bi-weekly wash with occasional polish/wax can't mitigate. What most people DO notice, however, is higher temp brake compound that can burn through the wheel finish over time (giving the appearance of corrosion).

A typical street pad should be fine, IMHO. I ran HPS on the MS3 with no ill results for almost 170K.

TaoBrew

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Installed Hawk High Performance Street HPS 5.0 and StopTech slotted rotors a couple of weeks ago. Am really impressed with the performance, especially when you get a little heat in the pads.

Thomas66

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80 Rx-7, 2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Installed Hawk High Performance Street HPS 5.0 and StopTech slotted rotors a couple of weeks ago. Am really impressed with the performance, especially when you get a little heat in the pads.
Are you using those pads for street use or for track use or both?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Front and rear?

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
I haven't used them on the Civic but I ran Stoptech on two other cars with great results. I'll be putting them on my wife's Mazda this month and ordering them for the SI sometime in the near future too.

Thomas66

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80 Rx-7, 2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I just replaced the front rotors but put the Hawk pads all around.
I just ordered the same set up. I plan to change out the rotors and pads before I track it then change back to stock once I get home and have time.
Sponsored