jdh4690k

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I just bought a 2016 Civic EX-L (Honda Certified and with a Honda Care warranty) and discovered I am having this issue after a few days of driving. I have an appointment to get it looked at on Friday, are there any tips for getting it fixed faster (without having to take it in multiple times)? I plan on driving it as highway speeds for about an hour before the appointment to make sure it's "sticking" and I plan on leaving the car running there as well until they get someone to look at it.

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I just bought a 2016 Civic EX-L (Honda Certified and with a Honda Care warranty) and discovered I am having this issue after a few days of driving. I have an appointment to get it looked at on Friday, are there any tips for getting it fixed faster (without having to take it in multiple times)? I plan on driving it as highway speeds for about an hour before the appointment to make sure it's "sticking" and I plan on leaving the car running there as well until they get someone to look at it.
It's hard to get them to listen. The very first time I took my car I told them it was the rack, and it still took them 3 times, and I said every single time that it was the rack. They claimed that they checked the rack and that it was fine, but what ultimately what got them to change it was the Honda Tech Line. When they called the tech line, they told them to change the rack. From other experiences I've read, it was always the tech line that finally got their rack replaced.

They made me go through a software update (which did help with other aspects of the steering), an all sensor relearn, then finally the new rack, and the rack fixed it.

jdh4690k

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
It's hard to get them to listen. The very first time I took my car I told them it was the rack, and it still took them 3 times, and I said every single time that it was the rack. They claimed that they checked the rack and that it was fine, but what ultimately what got them to change it was the Honda Tech Line. When they called the tech line, they told them to change the rack. From other experiences I've read, it was always the tech line that finally got their rack replaced.

They made me go through a software update (which did help with other aspects of the steering), an all sensor relearn, then finally the new rack, and the rack fixed it.
Thanks for the info, I took it in this morning after driving on the highway for an hour but I'm pretty sure they just parked it and of course it wasn't happening by the time they test drove it. I'm trying to stay patient with them and will pass along what you said in hopes they get it fixed faster.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for the info, I took it in this morning after driving on the highway for an hour but I'm pretty sure they just parked it and of course it wasn't happening by the time they test drove it. I'm trying to stay patient with them and will pass along what you said in hopes they get it fixed faster.
FYI, I had mine repaired at Tameron Honda Eastern Shore. It's about 45 min from P'cola, so that would be about the right amount of drive to warm up the car. They are very familiar with the issue, and my service adviser told me that they had done several of these jobs already. Her name is Lesley Grant, and she was very helpful and communicative with me during the repair process.

jdh4690k

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up, I know exactly where Tameron is (I actually almost bought an Insight there before I bought my civic) I will keep that in mind if Pensacola Honda doesn’t fix it next time I bring it in

Hec1225

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag

Was this covered under power train warranty? Did they still charge diagnostic fees everytime you went back? I had the same steering issue. I went back to autonation ford where I bought the car but of course they said it needed an alignment...which was done 3 weeks prior to that.

Hec1225

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
Was this covered under power train warranty? Did they still charge diagnostic fees everytime you went back? I had the same steering issue. I went back to autonation ford where I bought the car but of course they said it needed an alignment...which was done 3 weeks prior to that.
Meant to say I have this problem now still.

Dawsonj13

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Hi, sorry I should have posted since my original earlier this year.
I brought my car into the dealership. At first they said, nothing was wrong with it. I refused to pick it up until I knew someone had driven it for at least 45 minutes. I also sent them a link to this site. BTW - They said they called the manufacturer and NOONE had reported this problem.
After driving for 45 minutes they finally realized there is a
problem and said they " did a factory reset to the original settings". I haven't had any issues since. Please keep in mind, I hardly ever drive the car (maybe 100 miles a week).

gwtx2

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic DX
Country flag
I'm having exact same issue on a 2018 Civic with 31K miles. I actually started noticing this after my last service which included an alignment. It only happens when I need to make minor steering adjustments to the right. To the left hasn't been noticeable. It feels like their is a "hang" and I need to apply a little more pressure to move the wheel. I have Sensing but this problem is unrelated to Sensing as it happens whether Road Departure Mitigation is on or off, and it didn't begin occurring until 30K miles. Plan on visiting the dealer this Friday. Have read through all the posts so I'll have some information to offer them if they don't have a clue. It's a smaller town dealership so I'm not sure if they have encountered this yet or not. Any service bulletins anyone has to offer would be helpful.

Hannahs11

First Name
Hannah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EXL Hatchback
Country flag
My 2017 Civic EXL Hatchback is doing the same thing. It has been doing this for about a year. I brought it up when I was getting my car serviced and they told me it was most likely road crown even though the first time I noticed it was on a trip where I was driving 2+ hours away on the interstate.. At this point it’s doing it frequently and feels very unsafe. I’m not sure what to Do at this point. Maybe I can show them this video and so they could see the problem?

josh30000

First Name
josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Country flag
My steering feel unnatural. If I am driving straight the steer feels super stiff. If I have to make adjustments to me driving straight instead of the steering wheel turning smoolthly it feel like it turns in notches which causes me to over compensate. If I am making a turn at highway speeds i can let go of the steering wheel and it wont roll back to center. sometimes it does that and sometimes it doesnt. I read something. I read something about spraying a lubricant in the torque sensor may solve the problem. My tire pressure is correct and I had the wheels aligned. still having this issue. Its making me not want this car
I just got hit by a driver blowing a red light at about 50mph and my 16 civic ex-t is totalled. I drive 120 mostly highway miles a day ave this steering is the only thing I didn't love about my car. Are all the 2016+ civics bound to have this issue?

kbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Sienna, 2016 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
I just got hit by a driver blowing a red light at about 50mph and my 16 civic ex-t is totalled. I drive 120 mostly highway miles a day ave this steering is the only thing I didn't love about my car. Are all the 2016+ civics bound to have this issue?
My 2016 Civic LX 6MT was totaled recently by a panel truck (I hope you were physically unharmed just as I was!). It had the notchy steering issue during hot summer months but was not noticeable when it was cooler. I just bought a replacement 2019 Civic LX 6MT and so far have no issues. I will be watching it closely this Summer while I am still under warranty to see if this year model has the issue.
Sponsored