Steering is stiff and notchy feeling

toddfw2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
My steering feel unnatural. If I am driving straight the steer feels super stiff. If I have to make adjustments to me driving straight instead of the steering wheel turning smoolthly it feel like it turns in notches which causes me to over compensate. If I am making a turn at highway speeds i can let go of the steering wheel and it wont roll back to center. sometimes it does that and sometimes it doesnt. I read something. I read something about spraying a lubricant in the torque sensor may solve the problem. My tire pressure is correct and I had the wheels aligned. still having this issue. Its making me not want this car
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you already taken it in to the dealer with this issue?

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I dont think so. Its just the base lx. Taken it to the dealer 3 times. They cant recreate it
i have a LX with Sensing and it's a hatch, does that make any difference?

branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing
Country flag
The reason I asked about Sensing is because the way you describe the problem it sounds like the way the Lane Keeping Assist System works (if you have Sensing there will be a black plastic box with a camera next to your rear view mirror). Above 45mph it will track the lane and use the electric power steering to keep you between the lines. It makes the steering feel stiff when the system is on, and the wheel will not return to center when it is tracking the lane in a turn.

Shazam74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX/1984 Corvette
Country flag
The reason I asked about Sensing is because the way you describe the problem it sounds like the way the Lane Keeping Assist System works (if you have Sensing there will be a black plastic box with a camera next to your rear view mirror). Above 45mph it will track the lane and use the electric power steering to keep you between the lines. It makes the steering feel stiff when the system is on, and the wheel will not return to center when it is tracking the lane in a turn.
My steering feel unnatural. If I am driving straight the steer feels super stiff. If I have to make adjustments to me driving straight instead of the steering wheel turning smoolthly it feel like it turns in notches which causes me to over compensate. If I am making a turn at highway speeds i can let go of the steering wheel and it wont roll back to center. sometimes it does that and sometimes it doesnt. I read something. I read something about spraying a lubricant in the torque sensor may solve the problem. My tire pressure is correct and I had the wheels aligned. still having this issue. Its making me not want this car
Hey man, your not alone. My steering "sticks" after I've been driving for about 20-30 mins at around 40/45+ mph. Take your hand off the wheel on a slight curve and it stays with the curve. Trying to do a slight correction when it's like this and it literally sticking in place for a sec then allows the wheel to turn more freely. Go back down to 20/30 mph and you move the wheel as you should be able to. No Honda sense here and I suspect the same on yours. It still ks pretty consistently for the rest of the day after it starts unless the cars been off for a while. Almost like it's heat related once the engine bay warms.

fanta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Civic EX-L 2016
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am and have been experiencing this same issue (mentioned in the link and in this forum post). I am out of warranty so I have to just deal with it; but a non-trivial number of occurrences, my steering wheel "sticking" results in me ending up in a very worried situations that if I did not notice and pull it out of "stuck" I would end up in a different lane and potentially in a different car.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I am also having this issue. My 2016 EX has about 55,000 miles. I bought a Honda Care extended warranty, which is about to payout in my favor for this fix.

But this is sounding more and more like a recall-worthy issue.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds lika an allignment issue to me

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Sounds lika an allignment issue to me
If it were alignment, then it would be there 100% of the time. This only happens after driving for for 30-45 mins. You should read through the linked thread. There are several descriptions of the same issue.

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
I have this problem...again. At 30K I took the car to dealership and told them of the problem; they were interested in fixing it because of the safety concerns, but they could not duplicate the problem. They had no answers so I said why not do an alignment, and of course they said that's not covered (but I pushed as I had just bought the car there as certified preowned). The alignment measurements had shown the rear driver side (I think) was out a little. But, the problem went away, until now, at 60K, it is back. Now the car is past warranty mileage. I'll be calling them Wednesday to see what they say.

Question: Is there a steering wheel centering process? And could this be related? I realize dealerships are replacing the racks to fix the problem but we don't have any feedback on how long these fixes will last or if any resetting of the steering components during the replacement might be the actual cause.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any chance you have Honda Sensing? Maybe try turning off lane departure warning and/or LKAS to see if that is the issue?